Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 May 2012 (Monday) 19:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to show fine art prints

Photography ­ By ­ Toine
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 21, 2012 19:38 |  #1

So, I finally got my Pro9000 mark II printer working properly. I've gotten some sample paper packs from Canson, Hahnemuller, and some others.

I've printed some nice pictures, and would love to hang them up. It seems a waste to put them in a typical Nielssen Frame.

How do ou display your fine art prints? (I've printed on some fine art rags, and baryta papers)

Thanks,

Toine

sponsored links
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 22, 2012 12:13 |  #2

I buy very reasonably priced frames from a local cut-price shop. The frames vary in style week by week so I tend to wait until I see something I like and grab it. The A3 size I prefer tends to go for about £10 each.

I am showing and selling 30.5 cm x 40.5 cm prints (with mounts) in A3 frames.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Photography ­ By ­ Toine
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 22, 2012 13:12 |  #3

Do you put glass on them?

T

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 22, 2012 13:43 |  #4

They come complete with glass.

Richard

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 22, 2012 15:36 |  #5

Lowner wrote in post #14468974 (external link)
I buy very reasonably priced frames from a local cut-price shop. The frames vary in style week by week so I tend to wait until I see something I like and grab it. The A3 size I prefer tends to go for about £10 each.

I am showing and selling 30.5 cm x 40.5 cm prints (with mounts) in A3 frames.

That's what I use for my 4:3 prints (12x16) as well as my 2:3 prints (12x18) but I'm curious, Richard -- it sounds like you use similar "bargain" frames to what I've used but I've been concerned about the print being right up against the glass (no matting) -- is that what you are describing and if so do you give any advice to a customer, such as suggesting a matte might help to preserve the print from any "stuck to the glass" issues?

Anyone else have thoughts about that?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 22, 2012 15:41 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #6

*** watching *** Budget frames are something I need to learn about :lol:

aquaregia
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 22, 2012 16:26 |  #7

Mounting on foam board is an alternative as well. I use a Positionable Mounting Adhesive from Scotch to adhere the print to the board, and velcro mounts for the wall so that the prints can be changed when desired.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 23, 2012 02:55 |  #8

tonylong wrote in post #14469839 (external link)
That's what I use for my 4:3 prints (12x16) as well as my 2:3 prints (12x18) but I'm curious, Richard -- it sounds like you use similar "bargain" frames to what I've used but I've been concerned about the print being right up against the glass (no matting) -- is that what you are describing and if so do you give any advice to a customer, such as suggesting a matte might help to preserve the print from any "stuck to the glass" issues?

Anyone else have thoughts about that?

Tony,

My images do have what you decribe as a mat and locally we call mounts. I buy standardised packs of celophane envelopes, mounts and backing boards for selling prints at car boots and use just the mount when framing. Standardising in this way makes it very economical.

Richard

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 23, 2012 09:18 |  #9

I also go the budget route for frames but one thing I did years ago was invest in a good matte cutter. So I just buy the big sheets of matte board and cut my own, this also frees you up to make non standard size prints.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 23, 2012 16:52 |  #10

Damian75 wrote in post #14473124 (external link)
I also go the budget route for frames but one thing I did years ago was invest in a good matte cutter. So I just buy the big sheets of matte board and cut my own, this also frees you up to make non standard size prints.

Good scheme Damian. What make of cutter did you buy? And did you need any other equipment to complete the mattes?

Growing old disgracefully!

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 25, 2012 21:15 as a reply to  @ Ricardo222's post |  #11

The Logan 301 qualifies as a "budget" mat cutter, I believe, especially if you get it at a store like AC Moore that has a 40% off coupon online every week. I don't do much of anything that's "standard," including sizes, and couldn't get along without it.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 25, 2012 23:15 |  #12

ncjohn wrote in post #14485733 (external link)
The Logan 301 qualifies as a "budget" mat cutter, I believe, especially if you get it at a store like AC Moore that has a 40% off coupon online every week. I don't do much of anything that's "standard," including sizes, and couldn't get along without it.

Thanks. Made a note of that and will see what's available in NZ.

Growing old disgracefully!

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 04, 2012 01:07 |  #13

Ricardo222 wrote in post #14475189 (external link)
Good scheme Damian. What make of cutter did you buy? And did you need any other equipment to complete the mattes?

I have a Logan 401, I honestly don't remember how much is was I have had it for about 6 years. This is the current version of the one I have http://www.amazon.com …ntermediate/dp/​B00009R80W (external link) . Other than the cutter a good ruler is really all you need. I am also a big fan of the white matte board with the black core.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

sponsored links

3,345 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to show fine art prints
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.