Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 May 2012 (Tuesday) 18:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D - Indy 500 - AI Servo Question

Roxie2401
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 22, 2012 18:12 |  #1

Never used AI Servo and am going to the Indy500 this week. Would this be the place to use that mode? Do I pan the camera or keep it stationary?

Probably not the time to experiment with Back Button Focus at the same time - but would appreciate any advice on "One Shot" vs. "AI Servo" and also multiple frames per second on moving race cars, etc.

sponsored links
ljason8eg
478 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 22, 2012 18:17 |  #2

If you're shooting moving race cars use AI servo mode and pan with the cars. Start with a shutter speed of about 1/200 or so and adjust as needed depending if you want more motion blur or sharper cars.

Jason
Gear: 1D Mark III | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | 24-105 f/4L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L | Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 | 580 EX II |

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 22, 2012 18:25 as a reply to  @ ljason8eg's post |  #3

Thanks - any "tweaking" to the AI Servo settings in the 7D Custom settings needed?

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,281 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 22, 2012 18:28 |  #4

Roxie2401 wrote in post #14470607 (external link)
Thanks - any "tweaking" to the AI Servo settings in the 7D Custom settings needed?

do you mean how to use it? the link below is explains how to us continuous/ai servo and how to pan

panning video (external link)

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 22, 2012 18:46 as a reply to  @ ONE30's post |  #5

Should AI Servo in this situation (moving race cars) benefit by shooting single shots or burst (fps)?

Plane ­ Maker
30 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 22, 2012 18:57 as a reply to  @ ONE30's post |  #6

For moving cars, I would set it to AF Servo with the center focus point or center point with expansion, and burst mode. Pan with the cars. The suggestion to start at 1/200 is a good one, you can drop from there (if desired) as you get the hang of it.

If you're just starting out with servo mode, I wouldn't get too much into AF tweaks but if you're interested this review has a good explanation of AF Custom Functions.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=777919

Daniel
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Ando27
Goldmember
1,218 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 22, 2012 19:49 |  #7

deeds777 wrote in post #14470735 (external link)
For moving cars, I would set it to AF Servo with the center focus point or center point with expansion, and burst mode. Pan with the cars. The suggestion to start at 1/200 is a good one, you can drop from there (if desired) as you get the hang of it.

If you're just starting out with servo mode, I wouldn't get too much into AF tweaks but if you're interested this review has a good explanation of AF Custom Functions.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=777919

What he said, ..

just make sure you squeeze the shutter gently , fior that reason go with high or low sopeed continous shutter setting..& pan smoothly.
Set the AF priority to Focus/Tracking.
Set the AF speed setting in to -1, this will stop the AF jumping to focus on fencing & other things that might get in your road.

Ando.
"Down Under"
[CENTER][B]Canon 1D4 / 5D3 gripped / 7D gripped / 300f2.8 IS L / 100-400f5.6 L / 70-200f2.8 IS II L / EFS18-200IS / 24-105 f4 IS / 10-20 f4 / 580EXII x 3 /1.4 TC III / 1.4TC II / 2 TC III / 15' Rig / 20' Rig.[CENTER]

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

May 22, 2012 22:41 |  #8

A slow car in the Indianapolis 500 runs at 200 miles per hour. You're likely to be disappointed if you don't move the camera to track a subject.You'll probably need some time to get used to the speeds. Sustained speeds are so high and distances so long that standard advice and techniques won't work.

Typical image of an Indianapolis 500 car in action at one of the slower parts of the track: Note the amount of motion blur at 1/500, a shutter speed that might stop motion for slower cars.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Focal Length: 249.0mm
Aperture: f/7.1
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Partial
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

More important than panning or focus modes at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, is to find a location from a grand stand or a public spectator area where the impact of one of the ever present fences can be minimized.There are only a few of those, and they require a 400mm-500mm lens. The sample image was taken through one of the newer of the track's fences, at the north short chute.

Roxie2401 wrote in post #14470559 (external link)
Never used AI Servo and am going to the Indy500 this week. Would this be the place to use that mode? Do I pan the camera or keep it stationary?

Probably not the time to experiment with Back Button Focus at the same time - but would appreciate any advice on "One Shot" vs. "AI Servo" and also multiple frames per second on moving race cars, etc.

KrakenWakes
131 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2012

May 23, 2012 00:37 |  #9

Roxie2401 wrote in post #14470559 (external link)
Probably not the time to experiment with Back Button Focus at the same time.

I think you could try it. Back button is not that odd, in fact for servo it makes a lot of sense and makes it easier to take pictures without worrying about pressing the shutter halfway. Go practice on cars driving by your house. It will feel pretty natural after a short while.

A6000

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 23, 2012 12:11 |  #10

Thanks. Rahal & Honda. Man are those numbers small this year! So, Lotus will be even slower but the Chevy's will require a faster shutter speed?

DC Fan wrote in post #14471641 (external link)
A slow car in the Indianapolis 500 runs at 200 miles per hour. You're likely to be disappointed if you don't move the camera to track a subject.You'll probably need some time to get used to the speeds. Sustained speeds are so high and distances so long that standard advice and techniques won't work.

Typical image of an Indianapolis 500 car in action at one of the slower parts of the track: Note the amount of motion blur at 1/500, a shutter speed that might stop motion for slower cars.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Focal Length: 249.0mm
Aperture: f/7.1
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Partial
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

More important than panning or focus modes at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, is to find a location from a grand stand or a public spectator area where the impact of one of the ever present fences can be minimized.There are only a few of those, and they require a 400mm-500mm lens. The sample image was taken through one of the newer of the track's fences, at the north short chute.

koufax80
44 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 23, 2012 12:24 |  #11

I just got back from practice and qualifying this past weekend with my 7D. AI Servo works great, and 1/640 or 1/800 work pretty well for panning if you're somewhat close (I was on the infield with a 70-200). I find that full manual works best once you set the aperture/ iso, otherwise the camera tries to compensate for the white walls and bright track if the sun is shinging and you get underexposed cars.

7D :: 24-70mm f2.8 L :: 24-105mm f4 L :: 70-200mm f4.0 L :: 50mm f1.8

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 23, 2012 14:50 |  #12

If you don't mind, how do you have your BBF set up? Is the Shutter Half-press "Meter start" and are you using the AF-ON or the "*" for the AF?

Thanks

KrakenWakes wrote in post #14472059 (external link)
I think you could try it. Back button is not that odd, in fact for servo it makes a lot of sense and makes it easier to take pictures without worrying about pressing the shutter halfway. Go practice on cars driving by your house. It will feel pretty natural after a short while.

KrakenWakes
131 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2012

May 23, 2012 15:41 |  #13

Roxie2401 wrote in post #14474669 (external link)
If you don't mind, how do you have your BBF set up? Is the Shutter Half-press "Meter start" and are you using the AF-ON or the "*" for the AF?

Thanks

Yes, I changed the shutter button to meter start only, and assigned AF to the AF-ON button. My thumb hits the AF-ON button quite naturally. I feared BBF a lot, but found that it felt very natural after a few minutes, and by the end of the day I was hooked.

If you want to get really into it, I also set my depth of field preview button to temporarily switch to Servo AF (I still prefer and leave the camera in One Shot AF for static shots), so then if I hold the DOF preview button and the AF-ON button, I've got servo AF ready to go on the fly. Though I'm still getting used to finding the DOF preview button with my left hand, I often have to hunt for it.

Good luck.

A6000

koufax80
44 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 23, 2012 16:15 |  #14

KrakenWakes wrote in post #14474856 (external link)
Yes, I changed the shutter button to meter start only, and assigned AF to the AF-ON button. My thumb hits the AF-ON button quite naturally. I feared BBF a lot, but found that it felt very natural after a few minutes, and by the end of the day I was hooked.

If you want to get really into it, I also set my depth of field preview button to temporarily switch to Servo AF (I still prefer and leave the camera in One Shot AF for static shots), so then if I hold the DOF preview button and the AF-ON button, I've got servo AF ready to go on the fly. Though I'm still getting used to finding the DOF preview button with my left hand, I often have to hunt for it.

Good luck.

That's a lot of button pressing when you're trying to follow a car moving over 220 mph...

7D :: 24-70mm f2.8 L :: 24-105mm f4 L :: 70-200mm f4.0 L :: 50mm f1.8

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 23, 2012 17:00 as a reply to  @ koufax80's post |  #15

Thanks for all the replies.........car is packed, camera batteries charged, even remembered our race tickets!

I should have a couple of days to "practice" before the race Sunday.

Final question: Any negative to leaving the camera set to AI Servo even for stationary shots - like in the garage area?

sponsored links

5,200 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D - Indy 500 - AI Servo Question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.