Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 28 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 12:41
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do you use Back Button Auto Focus on your DSLR?"
BB AF on all my body, I use it for everything I shoot
66.7%
Tried it, not impress, so I am back to half shutter to AF
21.8%
Never try it before
11.6%

147 voters, 147 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you use Back Button Auto Focus on your DSLR?

highway0691
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 20, 2012 23:11 |  #31

umphotography wrote in post #14460806 (external link)
Ive tried it. Tried to make myself do it. but for some reason, i always go back to the button. I have my cameras set for BB. But i keep going back old school. Go figure. I like the beep and i like my finger on the trigger:lol:

I guess what i dont get is even with BB, you still have to hit the shutter. So for my simple mind, BB was an extra step. If BB would lock and fire the shutter maybe for me.

As above. Have tried it but just can't remember to use it when shooting. I figure using one button which focuses and takes the photo makes it more simple.

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

sponsored links
Christina
633 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 21, 2012 11:19 |  #32

umphotography wrote in post #14460806 (external link)
I have my cameras set for BB. But i keep going back old school. Go figure. I like the beep and i like my finger on the trigger:lol:

The beep - really? Do you have your beep going off during ceremonies?

Christina - Pittsburgh Wedding Photographer (external link)
Syncopated Pictures (external link)
http://christinamontem​urrophotography.com/bl​og/ (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,939 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 21, 2012 11:29 |  #33

Christina wrote in post #14463368 (external link)
The beep - really? Do you have your beep going off during ceremonies?

Sure. Why wouldnt I ?? Nobody can hear it. I photograph a lot of weddings and no one has said a word to me about the beep. I have had a priest say that he could hear the shutter click. I like the beep because i know my exposure is locked. Promise you, anyone 2 ft from me wont hear it.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

May 21, 2012 19:58 |  #34

Hmmm, over 150 weddings shot and I've never heard of BBF. Guess I'll have to read my 5D2 manual for the first time (after using them for all of last year's weddings). Does it help with low-light focus?
As for the camera making a beeping noise, I turned that off years ago after a bride's mother told me she'd heard it going off the entire ceremony!

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

May 21, 2012 20:08 |  #35

Just read this article from Canon (external link), talking all about BBF, and I can't see any reason I'd switch.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 22, 2012 07:37 |  #36

The problem with using the BB to focus, especially if you're doing it with group photos is when the lens misfocuses.

I'm going through a collection of images from last week's wedding and the camera incorrectly focused a few times. Thank goodness I refocus each time so that it's just the odd photo here and there and I'm not facing the tradgedy of an entire sequence being OOF.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

facedodge
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 22, 2012 09:47 |  #37

I've converted. I also am growing accustomed to the AE lock feature as well.

Gear List | Feedback | facebook (external link) | [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/wmcy2/"]flickr (external link)

rincon
240 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 22, 2012 12:09 |  #38

No BB here. I like having one button, one finger. I try to keep it simple.

jkim05
127 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 22, 2012 12:48 |  #39

umphotography wrote in post #14463393 (external link)
Sure. Why wouldnt I ?? Nobody can hear it. I photograph a lot of weddings and no one has said a word to me about the beep. I have had a priest say that he could hear the shutter click. I like the beep because i know my exposure is locked. Promise you, anyone 2 ft from me wont hear it.

I always hear it when a photographer uses it, and to me I think it's unprofessional to have it goin off. The shutter sound is unavoidable, but I always turn off the AF beep. On AI servo, it doesn't beep anyways.

Christina
633 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 22, 2012 13:40 as a reply to  @ jkim05's post |  #40

The first year I was shooting weddings, I arrived so early at a church one weekend that the earlier wedding was still in progress. It was really hot outside, so I stepped inside the church and sat in the back row to stay cool. I could hear the photographer's beep all the way in the back of the church. (Also, he was shooting on a tripod on wheels!)

Christina - Pittsburgh Wedding Photographer (external link)
Syncopated Pictures (external link)
http://christinamontem​urrophotography.com/bl​og/ (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 23, 2012 08:55 |  #41

Yeah, this is a huge thread jacking, and I don't mean to pile on you here Mike, but I can't believe you would leave the beep on!

but on topic, i use back button focus when i shoot derby sometimes. i want to like it, but honestly my hit rate is so much better when i don't use it. so i never use it for weddings. certainly I have never "needed" to.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

highway0691
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 23, 2012 09:00 |  #42

[QUOTE=bigarchi;144730​26]Yeah, this is a huge thread jacking, and I don't mean to pile on you here Mike, but I can't believe you would leave the beep on! quote]

Quiet churches, no wind outside etc, yes you might be able to hear the beep.

Outside in a garden, on or near a beach, theres so much ambient noise that you wouldn't even hear the bride if she broke wind.:oops::lol:

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 23, 2012 10:29 as a reply to  @ highway0691's post |  #43

YES, ambient noise levels definitely make a huge difference, I agree.

it's not just ceremonies though, I wouldn't want people hearing my beep during a speech or something either.

I've been in churches that had what felt like zero ambient noise, and everything echoed so loud. it was not typical, but man was it awful.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,067 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 23, 2012 10:42 |  #44

Peacefield wrote in post #14467757 (external link)
The problem with using the BB to focus, especially if you're doing it with group photos is when the lens misfocuses.

I'm going through a collection of images from last week's wedding and the camera incorrectly focused a few times. Thank goodness I refocus each time so that it's just the odd photo here and there and I'm not facing the tradgedy of an entire sequence being OOF.

I also refocus each time when I do group photos even with BBF. I also turn the beep off.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

etaf
Goldmember
1,221 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 30, 2012 06:58 |  #45

just started to use - and must say i quite like the way it works

60D | EF-S 18-200 | 50mm 2.5 macro | 550EX | Pro1 | Elements

sponsored links

9,818 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you use Back Button Auto Focus on your DSLR?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.