Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 May 2012 (Wednesday) 06:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D? 5D? 550D?

MARK1992
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 23, 2012 06:20 |  #1

Hi guys,

Little trilemma here. To start off, what I currently have is a EOS 7D, EOS 650, 10-22, 30 f/1.4, 70-200.

A friend's offered me his 24-70L for pretty cheap which I'm considering. Especially since I don't have a "normal" lens for the 650 (and thus, is sitting unused with a roll in it).

I was thinking of either getting rid of the 30 and replacing it with the 24-70, and perhaps taking the opportunity to jump to FF via the original 5D. If I do I'll replace the 10-22 with a 17-40 and sell the 7D. I was thinking if I needed video and modernish bells and whistles I could always grab a 550D or something.

OR, should I just keep the 7D, and sell the 30 for the 24-70 and have it complement my existing 10-22 and 70-200? Or keep the 30 since it's not really going to get me much money?

sponsored links
colintf
301 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 23, 2012 06:25 |  #2

what do you photograph?

MARK1992
THREAD ­ STARTER
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 23, 2012 06:44 |  #3

colintf wrote in post #14472649 (external link)
what do you photograph?

Oh yes, I told myself to include it whilst showering but obviously forgot when I stepped out.

I don't do street, so a FF + 35 or a 50 wouldn't be "ideal".

I do like landscapes though, hence the 7D + 10-22 / 5D + 17-40. The first combination (lets just talk about equivalent focal lengths here, to avoid confusion and a debate) gives me an mm's wider FOV which at the wide end may matter but I'm willing to close an eye.

I do like to photograph airplanes, hence the 70-200. Crop would be nice but sometimes I find 70 on a crop a bit too tight. Can't really say which I'd prefer as it depends on the situation. I do shoot the Formula One race when it comes around and other various motorsports events so the FOVCF of the 7D pips the 5D.

Other than that there isn't really much else I shoot. I shoot what I like, what I see. So it could be anything. That does make the problem a bit tougher.

I could compromise, as aforementioned, and grab a Rebel for the FOVCF when I require, as well as video when I need it, but obviously having 8 FPS, the much improved AF and assorted bells definitely make it a hard choice to let go. But then again, I've heard about the magic of FF and yearn to experience it for myself.

I suppose I could just hold my breath and plonk for a 5D and the 24-70 and keep myself happy, although my parents wouldn't be too pleased that I'm spending grands again for something that hasn't and doesn't look like it'll be paying for itself any time soon.

koufax80
44 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 23, 2012 16:35 |  #4

If you're doing mostly landscapes, I'd say full frame is the way to go, and 5D can still do planes.

7D :: 24-70mm f2.8 L :: 24-105mm f4 L :: 70-200mm f4.0 L :: 50mm f1.8

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,569 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 23, 2012 19:24 |  #5

koufax80 wrote in post #14475116 (external link)
If you're doing mostly landscapes, I'd say full frame is the way to go, and 5D can still do planes.

As can the 7D do landscapes... but I don't see where it was stated that landscapes were the majority of what was being shot. Plus not all landscapes need to be shot with wide or ultra wide focal lengths. ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

MARK1992
THREAD ­ STARTER
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 24, 2012 03:00 |  #6

koufax80 wrote in post #14475116 (external link)

I agree with Teamspeed. The 7D can do landscapes in the same way the 5D can do planes.

I suppose if I were after better IQ I'd probably go over, but stuff like Live View and the artificial horizon would make things much easier.

blackjack999
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2012

May 24, 2012 04:03 |  #7

Look what the 7D is capable of in terms of landscapes (and other kind of pictures)...
https://photography-on-the.net …ad.php?t=115431​3&page=100
https://photography-on-the.net …ad.php?t=115431​3&page=101
https://photography-on-the.net …ad.php?t=115431​3&page=102

Save your money and upgrade for a 5D Mark II or a 5D Mark III.
:-)

X-Pro2 + 23mmF1.4
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,489 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D? 5D? 550D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.