Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 19 May 2012 (Saturday) 20:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

flickr's end at hand?

Gomar
531 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 19, 2012 20:22 |  #1

http://m.gizmodo.com …ckr-and-lost-the-internet (external link)

So is my fave photo sharing site about to flicker out? Is it time to move on to
other sites? Proves that once $ comes into play, sites that once were fun and popular
disappear. It's all about how do you make money off it.

I bet $38/share Facebook will be gonners in 5 years. Surely, MySpace smells sweet revenge.
BTW, anyone remember Netscape? A once dominant browser with a 75% market share, that fell below 1/10th of 1% usage once IE took over?

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 19, 2012 21:12 |  #2

Gomar wrote in post #14456803 (external link)
http://m.gizmodo.com …ckr-and-lost-the-internet (external link)

So is my fave photo sharing site about to flicker out? Is it time to move on to
other sites? Proves that once $ comes into play, sites that once were fun and popular
disappear. It's all about how do you make money off it.

I bet $38/share Facebook will be gonners in 5 years. Surely, MySpace smells sweet revenge.
BTW, anyone remember Netscape? A once dominant browser with a 75% market share, that fell below 1/10th of 1% usage once IE took over?

Heard of Firefox and SeaMonkey, which spawned off NetScape's codebase?

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 20, 2012 02:12 |  #3

software come and goes in this world...it's all good

koufax80
44 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 23, 2012 16:49 |  #4

Thanks a lot, yahoo.

7D :: 24-70mm f2.8 L :: 24-105mm f4 L :: 70-200mm f4.0 L :: 50mm f1.8

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 24, 2012 12:50 |  #5

Huh, oh well, just means I should finally get off my butt and make myself my own photo website and stop paying to use others.

That being said, FB is already down to $32.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

May 26, 2012 09:15 |  #6

I hope that person wasn't paid to write that... the language used - oh dear...
And I only skim-read the article...

Having said that, Flickr isn't dead yet - and in terms of being cost effective, one of the cheapest offers.
500px is also quite OK but already costs twice as much. Running your own website is a lot more expensive - but at least nowadays one gets unlimited bandwidth as a standard.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 26, 2012 10:36 |  #7

Flickr does all that I ask of it. Host photos effectively without compressing the hell out of them, and requiring next to no effort on my part.

I pay for membership with it more as a small reminder to me that I really should be getting out and playing with photography so I have something to add to my account. Hasn't worked too well so far.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 29, 2012 23:04 |  #8

How come flickr doubled the max size recently?

koala ­ yummies
736 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 29, 2012 23:10 |  #9

Gomar wrote in post #14456803 (external link)
I bet $38/share Facebook will be gonners in 5 years.

ben_r_ wrote in post #14479144 (external link)
That being said, FB is already down to $32.

$28.84 right now :lol:

flickr (external link)

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

May 30, 2012 02:55 |  #10

thedcmule2 wrote in post #14503839 (external link)
How come flickr doubled the max size recently?

Apparently it was unlimited, then got reduced then increased again.
The advent of higher resolution cameras has possibly something to do with it - a noisy 21MP image from a 5D MK II is close to 20MB... - panoramas are bigger and we now have higher megapixel cameras too.
(Including for example the very noisy nikon)

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 30, 2012 13:37 as a reply to  @ DetlevCM's post |  #11

I certainly would not be sad if Flickr and Facebook quietly went away. No doubt that Flickr is popular because it is largely free and would bet that not many pay for the "pro" account. I think they would do better if they offered some different levels and customization. I don't see anything wrong with a user pay for websites like this and Facebook for that matter. I can only imagine what it costs to run the infrastructure to keep Flickr up and running.

I doubt they will go way anytime soon but we can always hope. Facebook is in for a world of hurt in the short term due to their IPO. They obviously held back some information and over valued the company. The markets will decide what the company is worth and it will have to level off for a period of time and then it might be a worthwhile investment to consider. I feel bad for those that jumped in on the opening bell, they really did a good job of hyping the IPO. The greedy people that bought in at north of 40.00 are probably beating their head against the wall right now. Their are companies that are now saying the value of social network advertising is not worth it and are pulling some of their advertising back to more traditional methods. If this happens to more sites across the internet they will have to look at more user fees for their services which I find acceptable. The notion that everything on the net should be free is simply unrealistic, imo.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

TheItalian
107 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 04, 2012 07:16 |  #12

I was never a fan of Flickr. Been using Photobucket since I can remember.

My Facebook (external link) page | Follow me on Twitter (external link)

Codda
222 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 04, 2012 09:22 as a reply to  @ TheItalian's post |  #13

Would love to know the percentage of Flickr users on this ( entire ) Forum...I see the link in what seems to be 70% of the posts I read...Flickr is not dead...

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 04, 2012 11:13 |  #14

Based on a random sampling of about 20 users pulled from the more active portion of the members list, zero percent of the forum has a link to Flickr in their signature.

If I get bored enough some evening this week, I might throw together a script to pull more data, because I don't feel like doing it all by hand.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

thomascanty
Bold. Pink.
Gone, but not forgotten.
38,071 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Jun 06, 2012 16:37 |  #15

Codda wrote in post #14528825 (external link)
I see the link in what seems to be 70% of the posts I read...

Same here (well, I'm not sure about the made-up percentage, but it's close enough for me). However, in my own experience, the vast majority of the *photos* that are displayed in those posts consist solely of big white squares with some text in the middle that says something to the effect of "This image is currently unavailable..."

It doesn't matter what computer/tablet/cell phone/ISP/time of day I'm using. Most Flickr images are "unavailable" when it comes time to view them.

My name is Lonnie, but I answer to Thomas too.
LDPhotography.net (external link) | Weekly Pioneer (external link) | Facebook (external link)
"Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts."

sponsored links

3,480 views & 0 likes for this thread
flickr's end at hand?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.