Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 11 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 05:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 23, 2012 09:50 |  #361

tohara wrote in post #14472739 (external link)
Its a subjective thing. While i am seeking something that isn't as cumbersome as a 5dII i felt that it was too small for my hands which are quite big. If i wanted a 'small camera' i'd just get a P&S. My nikon FM2 is the perfect size for me. But film is a big burden!

Im not looking for something to shove in my pocket, just something i can leave on my desk and grab whenever i go anywhere.

i told the lady i would come back in when they had a demo grip. I took some samples on my SD card though and the IQ was really good!

For most M43 users though, a P&S just doesn't offer the control or IQ. Even a Canon GX(X) series doesn't offer interchangeable lenses and has a smaller sensor.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

sponsored links
Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 23, 2012 14:26 |  #362

Its a subjective thing. While i am seeking something that isn't as cumbersome as a 5dII i felt that it was too small for my hands which are quite big. If i wanted a 'small camera' i'd just get a P&S. My nikon FM2 is the perfect size for me. But film is a big burden!

Im not looking for something to shove in my pocket, just something i can leave on my desk and grab whenever i go anywhere.

i told the lady i would come back in when they had a demo grip. I took some samples on my SD card though and the IQ was really good!

A lot of users find that the optional grip vastly improves the ergonomics for them. Hopefully you'll have the same experience. Doesn't matter how good a camera is if it doesn't feel good in your hand.

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 23, 2012 17:08 |  #363

I haven't tried out an EM-5 yet, but I can totally see how it being "too small" would be a big turn-off. My X100 feels fantastic in my hands, but only when I've got my Thumbs-Up grip in place. And my NEX-7's compact size often gets on my nerves thanks to there being nowhere for my right pinky finger (and sometimes even my ring finger) to go. That problem isn't limited to little mirrorless cameras, though...holding even a Rebel is annoying on the pinky finger front. And if I'm going to be uncomfortable, I'd rather be uncomfortable with a pocketable camera!

Still, I'm investigating building my own little mini-grip that just extends the handgrip down a few CM. It'll be annoying to cover the battery/card slot, though.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 23, 2012 18:52 |  #364

yeah, let's just say I'm not a small guy...

IMAGE: http://www.benjacobsenphoto.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/ijj-update-40/e-m5-bjp00200.jpg

it could use a bigger front grip. I'm hoping RRS makes something similar to what they did for the X100. But it's not all that bad, the back thumb rest helps a ton. The bigger issue is the small buttons really.

cptrios wrote in post #14475235 (external link)
I haven't tried out an EM-5 yet, but I can totally see how it being "too small" would be a big turn-off. My X100 feels fantastic in my hands, but only when I've got my Thumbs-Up grip in place.

the OMD beats the X100 when it comes to hand holding comfort, at least for me. I've got both here now and I used to have the thumbs up for mine a while back. the problem with the X100 is it's front is too slick and flat. The OMD is better in the front and comes with a nice rubber thumb rest.

yes it's small, but again, that's the point. You'll learn how to hold it if you want to. ;)

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

tohara
417 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 23, 2012 19:12 |  #365

haha i didn't realise my comment would create such an uproar. Its a great camera don't get me wrong. But i wasn't sold on it in the first place.

I would only buy it with a panasonic 25 1.4 and in Aus that would cost upwards of $1800. That is a lot of money for something i don't need but want for convenience sake. I could get another great l lens for that money. So for me to buy it i would need to be 100% convinced that i would love it and use it all the time. And i wasn't. But having said that, i still really like the idea of a m4/3 so when the grips come in ill have another look with an open mind.

500px (external link)
Sony A7r | Leica M6 Titanium | Ricoh GR1 | Nikon FM2 | Pink Lomo Sprocket Rocket
Zeiss 55mm f1.8 | Leica 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH | Polaroid Cool Cams (external link)

RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 23, 2012 23:09 |  #366

tohara wrote in post #14475704 (external link)
I would only buy it with a panasonic 25 1.4 and in Aus that would cost upwards of $1800.
That is a lot of money for something i don't need but want for convenience sake.
I could get another great l lens for that money.
So for me to buy it i would need to be 100% convinced that i would love it and use it all the time.
And i wasn't.

It's funny how similar our decision-making process can be.... :D

I thought about buying a 70-200 II and in Canada that would cost upwards of $2500.
That is a lot of money for something I only need once a year.
So for me to buy it I would need to be 100% convinced that I would love it and use it all the time.
And I wasn't.

So I didn't -- I rented one instead when my brother got married.

Anyway, with that money saved, I could buy the OM-D E-M5 with 4-5 lenses and still have money left over.

(But I'm going to see how the E-M5, 12-50 and 45/1.8 work out on my upcoming trip before deciding if I want to invest more into the system....)

:cool:

Above water: 7D | 400D | 10-22 | 17-55IS | 15-85IS | 85/1.8 | 100L IS | 70-200/4L IS | 70-300IS | 100-400L | 580EX II
Underwater: S95 + WP-DC38 + dual dive lights | Olympus OM-D E-M5 (await housing)
Full Gear List
Need/Want: More time for photography (And some talent would be nice.... :lol:)

stink ­ tooth
245 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 24, 2012 15:21 |  #367

My Camera Shop called me today and informed me that my Silver body only OMD has arrived. Crappy thing is that I cant get in to pick it up for about a week.

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 24, 2012 15:23 |  #368

stink tooth wrote in post #14479908 (external link)
My Camera Shop called me today and informed me that my Silver body only OMD has arrived. Crappy thing is that I cant get in to pick it up for about a week.

Thanks, that's encouraging news. Maybe I'll end up with a silver body-only kit sometime this year after all :rolleyes:

tdp_photos
170 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 24, 2012 19:02 |  #369

Some more shots from last week with the EM5 and 12-50 kit lens

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7101/7261916120_71ddd3c3db_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tdp_photos/7261​916120/  (external link)
Stopping Traffic (external link) by Photos by TDP (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8011/7255914240_df0a05536d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tdp_photos/7255​914240/  (external link)
Barfly (external link) by Photos by TDP (external link), on Flickr

Photo removed

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7239/7241775102_b18140dd81_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tdp_photos/7241​775102/  (external link)
Sunset (external link) by Photos by TDP (external link), on Flickr

my flickr (external link) - my 500px (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Gallery: 572 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 24, 2012 19:38 |  #370

^- im unsure on the rules but i can kinda see through that womans bikini... Might want to remove it to be safe (Not that im complaining or anything just dont want you to get in trouble...)

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

tdp_photos
170 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 24, 2012 19:41 |  #371

KenjiS wrote in post #14480970 (external link)
^- im unsure on the rules but i can kinda see through that womans bikini... Might want to remove it to be safe (Not that im complaining or anything just dont want you to get in trouble...)

Done

my flickr (external link) - my 500px (external link)

tupper
Tupperware Party Sheep
2,432 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 24, 2012 20:43 |  #372

tdp_photos wrote in post #14480981 (external link)
Done

Had a browse through your flickr gallery with the E-M5, looks great

oh and followed you on 500px :lol:

Ewan
SONY A7r
1N - 5D2 - 15 2.8 - 17-40L- 24LII - 50L - 85 1.8 - 70-200 2.8
O-MD - 20 1.7 - 50 1.8 - 135 3.5

ewantupper.com (external link) - facebook fanpage (external link) - twitter (external link) - 500px (external link)

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 25, 2012 12:57 |  #373

Amazon finally sent me a delivery date on the silver body. It's to be delivered Jun 28-Jul 30. :D

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 25, 2012 13:45 |  #374

Village_Idiot wrote in post #14484058 (external link)
Amazon finally sent me a delivery date on the silver body. It's to be delivered Jun 28-Jul 30. :D

Aaaaand thanks for bursting my bubble :lol:

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 25, 2012 14:23 |  #375

my black body is out for delivery right now. right now....... aaaaaany minute now.....

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

sponsored links

349,103 views & 2 likes for this thread
Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.