Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 May 2012 (Wednesday) 00:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My take on the Sigma 150-500mm

fogboundturtle
735 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 23, 2012 00:16 |  #1

I had the chance to do some extensive shooting over the weekend with the Sigma 150-500mm and this is my observation.

- Most of the shot I took were between 400-500mm.
- F8 is the way to go. This should not be a problem for more modern camera. Bump the ISO.
- OS is extremely usable. I handheld every single shot
- AF can be slow at time.
- The zoom ring is a little rough

As I was walking looking for birds at the local sanctuary, I met lots of birders/photographer. The 100-400L was really the most common lens uses. It was everywhere. People stop me by and ask me what I was carrying. All of them said the same thing : I would kill right now for an extra 100mm, it must be nice.

I have 2 more days to decide If I keep the Sigma or fork more dollars and trade it for an 100-400L. After reading numerous forum threads, I am leaning toward keeping the Sigma. I got some more then acceptable quality image and a good experience overall. This is surprising as my first experience with the 120-400 was terrible (I must of got a bad copy).

At the end of the day, photography is more about composition and framing then anything else. As I was showing my photos around the office, they were talking about the subject not about sharpness from corner to corner. It easy to forget when you get caught up in the internet propaganda.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Tamron 70-200 F2.8 DI VC USD, Sony A7r, Sony FE 55mm F1.8

sponsored links
cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 23, 2012 09:10 |  #2

Yupe. No lens is long enough for birds. My Sigmonster is not even long enough half the time. :lol:
The 150-500mm vs 100-400L, IMHO, comes down to shooting wide open and the extra 100mm. As you already mentioned, with the latest technology, high ISO is no longer a big problem. ISO800 is the new ISO100! :D

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

fogboundturtle
THREAD ­ STARTER
735 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 23, 2012 09:44 |  #3

cfcRebel wrote in post #14473089 (external link)
Yupe. No lens is long enough for birds. My Sigmonster is not even long enough half the time. :lol:
The 150-500mm vs 100-400L, IMHO, comes down to shooting wide open and the extra 100mm. As you already mentioned, with the latest technology, high ISO is no longer a big problem. ISO800 is the new ISO100! :D

and I was shooting at 400 ISO all day and had plenty of light.The OS gives you 4 stop so my F8 is more like an F4 after all.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Tamron 70-200 F2.8 DI VC USD, Sony A7r, Sony FE 55mm F1.8

modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 23, 2012 14:01 |  #4

When I went from a 7D and 5D2 combo to a 5D3 I had to choose between the Sigma 150-500 OS and Canon 100-400 L. After much testing I ended up keeping the Sigma and I'm more than happy with my choice. I bought my Sigma in january and have only recently (with the better weather) started shooting birds, but I've been impressed by the Sigma immensely.

Taken at 1/800, ISO 1000 wide open at f6.3 @ 500mm. It's a Jpeg SOOC and just cropped.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7109/7132819465_b1cfa8db91_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/67765667@N08/7​132819465/  (external link)
C01c0473 (external link) by modchild (external link), on Flickr

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

May 23, 2012 16:21 as a reply to  @ modchild's post |  #5

IMHO the only thing the 100-400L has on the Sigma is it is physically smaller, so it is easier to transport. That is it. If you have a good copy of the Sigma, it is just as sharp as the Canon.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

May 23, 2012 16:45 |  #6

^ My God! That bird must be twelve feet tall!

How about the Sigma 50-500? It's more money but is supposed to be a hair better and has a focal range that lets you keep it on your camera most of the time. Of course it would make for a huge walk-around lens.

This isn't the greatest photo, shooting into the sun and at quite a distance, but it's fun to get a decent shot when everyone else is getting nothing but tiny black dots out at sea. The hardest part was running back to the camper and switching lenses before the whales swam on by.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 23, 2012 16:49 |  #7

fogboundturtle wrote in post #14471997 (external link)
I had the chance to do some extensive shooting over the weekend with the Sigma 150-500mm and this is my observation.

- Most of the shot I took were between 400-500mm.
- F8 is the way to go. This should not be a problem for more modern camera. Bump the ISO.
- OS is extremely usable. I handheld every single shot
- AF can be slow at time.
- The zoom ring is a little rough

As I was walking looking for birds at the local sanctuary, I met lots of birders/photographer. The 100-400L was really the most common lens uses. It was everywhere. People stop me by and ask me what I was carrying. All of them said the same thing : I would kill right now for an extra 100mm, it must be nice.

I have 2 more days to decide If I keep the Sigma or fork more dollars and trade it for an 100-400L. After reading numerous forum threads, I am leaning toward keeping the Sigma. I got some more then acceptable quality image and a good experience overall. This is surprising as my first experience with the 120-400 was terrible (I must of got a bad copy).

At the end of the day, photography is more about composition and framing then anything else. As I was showing my photos around the office, they were talking about the subject not about sharpness from corner to corner. It easy to forget when you get caught up in the internet propaganda.

So with what you know now, if you had the chance to do it over again would you go with the Sigma? My wife really wants this lens for her d300 and I just want to make sure it is a good lens before I spend the money for it.

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

May 23, 2012 22:19 as a reply to  @ the flying moose's post |  #8

Moose, you asked fogboundturtle, but I'll answer based on me.

If I was shooting mainly birds, yes I would get it again. Though obviously I would love a long IS prime (in say the 500 range) instead. I can't afford that at the moment.

If just a general wildlife lens, I'd probably go with the Canon!? Not because I think it is better, because I think they are real close (unless you get a dud) in IQ. It is the length. What I mean by length is the 150-500's physical length - not zoom length. I also have no problem with the weight. The length is just a bit too long to comfortably pack into anything other than a backpack. I prefer a belt pack with a zoom case. For my zoom case the Sigma will not fit mounted, the Canon will. That is the only reason, so if I could find a zoom bag that would comfortably fit the Sigma mounted, this paragraph would be moot.

By the way, IMO the smaller zooms (size and zoom - but to 400mm) by Sigma don't seem as good in IQ to these two lenses.

Regardless, I do not regret the 150-500.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 23, 2012 22:30 as a reply to  @ jimewall's post |  #9

I love my Sigma. I have not used the Canon, but in the end there is a cost factor, and I have a hard time believing that the additional funds, would yield significantly different results... at least in this case. Sure the Prime might be better, but keeping it as close to an apples to apples comparison.

Keep the Sigma, enjoy it.

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 23, 2012 22:32 |  #10

jimewall wrote in post #14476579 (external link)
Moose, you asked fogboundturtle, but I'll answer based on me.

If I was shooting mainly birds, yes I would get it again. Though obviously I would love a long IS prime (in say the 500 range) instead. I can't afford that at the moment.

If just a general wildlife lens, I'd probably go with the Canon!? Not because I think it is better, because I think they are real close (unless you get a dud) in IQ. It is the length. What I mean by length is the 150-500's physical length - not zoom length. I also have no problem with the weight. The length is just a bit too long to comfortably pack into anything other than a backpack. I prefer a belt pack with a zoom case. For my zoom case the Sigma will not fit mounted, the Canon will. That is the only reason, so if I could find a zoom bag that would comfortably fit the Sigma mounted, this paragraph would be moot.

By the way, IMO the smaller zooms (size and zoom - but to 400mm) by Sigma don't seem as good in IQ to these two lenses.

Regardless, I do not regret the 150-500.

Thanks for your reply. We aren't out there all day with the cameras so weight isn't really an issue. She loves taking pictures of birds and such and borrows my sisters 70-300 and loves the added reach. Currently, she only has a 50mm and a 37mm lens so a nice zoom lens to give her some reach is a must have.

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 23, 2012 22:33 |  #11

boufa wrote in post #14476630 (external link)
I love my Sigma. I have not used the Canon, but in the end there is a cost factor, and I have a hard time believing that the additional funds, would yield significantly different results... at least in this case. Sure the Prime might be better, but keeping it as close to an apples to apples comparison.

Keep the Sigma, enjoy it.

Yes, she is very beginner and aside from the fact she shoots with Nikon, I doubt she would be able to see or need the added benefit that an L lens would provide.

fogboundturtle
THREAD ­ STARTER
735 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 23, 2012 23:07 |  #12

the flying moose wrote in post #14475168 (external link)
So with what you know now, if you had the chance to do it over again would you go with the Sigma? My wife really wants this lens for her d300 and I just want to make sure it is a good lens before I spend the money for it.

I am keeping it. The only thing I would go for is a prime lens. I miss that 300mm F4 I used to have. It was a killer lens. I really like the extra reach. I've already posted some photos of what I did over the weekend and the result was very pleasing.

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 23, 2012 23:25 |  #13

the flying moose wrote in post #14476637 (external link)
Yes, she is very beginner and aside from the fact she shoots with Nikon, I doubt she would be able to see or need the added benefit that an L lens would provide.

Does she pump iron? The Bigmos is a big-@ss and heavy lens. Even for me at ~225lbs when i had it... an hour of holding it was more than enough. ;)

Kel
Gear

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 23, 2012 23:35 |  #14

1Tanker wrote in post #14476797 (external link)
Does she pump iron? The Bigmos is a big-@ss and heavy lens. Even for me at ~225lbs when i had it... an hour of holding it was more than enough. ;)

More than likely knowing her she will see that as a benefit. She has tried it at our local store and nearly every time she goes there she will try. I am more worried about the quality of the lens vs the weight and size.

Hardrock40
467 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 23, 2012 23:41 |  #15

I had to make the choice also, was about to purchase the Sig when a local put a 100-400 on craigs for the same price. It was mint so I got it instead. I am very happy with it but I'll always want to take the Sig for a spin.

As for the weight, my Black Rapid arrived today, put it on the canon and what a relief. I would imagin a shoulder strap would do the same for the Sig.

sponsored links

2,118 views & 0 likes for this thread
My take on the Sigma 150-500mm
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.