Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 May 2012 (Thursday) 14:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What am i missing

RACHPAR
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 24, 2012 14:08 |  #1

I am in the start up years of my photography business, i have done weddings, seniors, newborn, etc... i have a canon 40D body and kit lenses 18-55, and 55-250. also i have a 50mm. I was told the kit lenses are not the best quality. I guess now i feel like i am missing something. what should i add to my bag?:confused:

sponsored links
1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 24, 2012 14:11 |  #2

An off-camera(shoe mounted) flash, such as the 430EX II or 580EX II. Learn how to bounce your flash.

Kel
Gear

Darkwand
Goldmember
1,850 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 24, 2012 14:12 |  #3

A good f/2.8 zoom with IS would be ideal

Adrian My Flickr (external link)
Canon 6D, Canon 7D, Canon 500D, Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1,8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro, 10-20mm f/4-5,6

Manfrotto 055 CXPRO4 + 498RC2, Manfrotto 410 Junior, Elinchrom: RX1200, 2x BRX250 , Dlite-it 4 and 2, Canon 580EXII

marekknowak
65 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 24, 2012 14:13 |  #4

Maybe a 85mm? Or a fast wide angle?

I would think you would have an idea with all the shoots you have done already, no?

What kind of picture do you want to do that you feel your lenses can't do?

riverdog1
335 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 24, 2012 14:14 |  #5

Because you were told that your kit lenses were not the best quality (and apparently didn't
already know that yourself) I would say the next best step is just to learn more about what
is available and the tradeoffs versus performance and cost.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,382 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 24, 2012 14:18 |  #6

If you intend to do any more weddings, a second body, a second flash (assuming you have one). Then upgrade your lenses in order of need.

RACHPAR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 24, 2012 15:26 |  #7

I have a few flashes the 580 and 2 old flashers talking like from the 80s. I also have a rebel body as a backup. i was not aware at the time that the kit lenses were not best quality. i feel i need a wide angle or a micro but i know i have that already in the crop lenses. so i am just seeing if you could spend someone money what would you add to the bag?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,382 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 24, 2012 15:29 |  #8

17-55 2.8 IS for wedding or event work.

cfvisuals
866 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 24, 2012 15:33 |  #9

You are missing investment.

If you are going to start a business and to provide professional service, you need to invest at least a good couple thousands in professional gear and hire professional assistants.

If money is a problem, there shall always be loan or "investors".

However technically speaking,
You are missing camera bodies, f2.8 zooms, low light primes, and flashes. Then there's also offcamera strobe light, modifiers, reflectors, and bunch of other accessories to mess with lighting.

You probably should know all of these before you start a business.

flickr (external link)
5∞ portfolio (external link)

koufax80
44 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 24, 2012 15:34 |  #10

Are your customers happy? What would make your photos better? Don't get something just because it's "better quality", get something that will improve your photos and result in more/ happier customers.

7D :: 24-70mm f2.8 L :: 24-105mm f4 L :: 70-200mm f4.0 L :: 50mm f1.8

koufax80
44 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 24, 2012 15:36 |  #11

calvinjhfeng wrote in post #14479985 (external link)
You are missing investment.

If you are going to start a business and to provide professional service, you need to invest at least a good couple thousands in professional gear and hire professional assistants.

If money is a problem, there shall always be loan or "investors".

However technically speaking,
You are missing camera bodies, f2.8 zooms, low light primes, and flashes. Then there's also offcamera strobe light, modifiers, reflectors, and bunch of other accessories to mess with lighting.

You probably should know all of these before you start a business.

This is exactly what you don't want to do... spend lots and lots of money on things you don't know you're missing. I'd take a good photographer with limited equipment over some goober with thousands of dollars worth of equipment that doesn't know what he's doing.

cfvisuals
866 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 24, 2012 15:40 |  #12

koufax80 wrote in post #14480006 (external link)
This is exactly what you don't want to do... spend lots and lots of money on things you don't know you're missing. I'd take a good photographer with limited equipment over some goober with thousands of dollars worth of equipment that doesn't know what he's doing.

Then the person isn't professional and should not consider it a business until he/she knows the stuff.

flickr (external link)
5∞ portfolio (external link)

koufax80
44 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 24, 2012 15:49 |  #13

calvinjhfeng wrote in post #14480032 (external link)
Then the person isn't professional and should not consider it a business until he/she knows the stuff.

Professional means you get paid to do something. It doesn't imply you're an "expert".

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

May 24, 2012 16:01 |  #14

koufax80 wrote in post #14480088 (external link)
Professional means you get paid to do something. It doesn't imply you're an "expert".

According to webster, it does: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary​/professional+ (external link)

Of the 3 definitions, only one mentions money. But hey, we will never agree.

Did I tell you about the state fair I went o last year. There was a guy in a booth there with snakes. For $5 you could go in and hold the snake. He also had a light and a backdrop (set up by a friend, I'm sure), a P&S camera and a printer. For another $10, his son would take your picture and give you a print. In the 10 minutes I was there, I think the kid sold 15 pictures (that's $150). I bet he sold well over $1500 worth of pictures a day. They were awful, he missed the moment consistently, he was blowing the composition completely, cutting off limbs, etc... but he was, by the "if you get paid" definition, a professional photographer. My guess is that he was 10 years old, I doubt he would even understand the question "What f/stop are you using?"

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

koufax80
44 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 24, 2012 16:06 |  #15

hairy_moth wrote in post #14480154 (external link)
According to webster, it does: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary​/professional+ (external link)

Of the 3 definitions, only one mentions money. But hey, we will never agree.

Did I tell you about the state fair I went o last year. There was a guy in a booth there with snakes. For $5 you could go in and hold the snake. He also had a light and a backdrop (set up by a friend, I'm sure), a P&S camera and a printer. For another $10, his son would take your picture and give you a print. In the 10 minutes I was there, I think the kid sold 15 pictures (that's $150). I bet he sold well over $1500 worth of pictures a day. They were awful, he missed the moment consistently, he was blowing the composition completely, cutting off limbs, etc... but he was, by the "if you get paid" definition, a professional photographer. My guess is that he was 10 years old, I doubt he would even understand the question "What f/stop are you using?"

Well, none of the definitions mention spending a lot of money on equipment...

Are you saying since he was bad and young he couldn't be a professional? What does that make Justin Beiber?

sponsored links

3,861 views & 0 likes for this thread
What am i missing
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.