Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 May 2012 (Wednesday) 11:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Clients and Facebook

StephenAndrew
855 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 23, 2012 11:47 |  #1

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on clients and using facebook. I used to be pretty selective when it came to who I became friends with on FB until I started using it as a networking and marketing tool for my business. Like anyone with a business that uses FB for exposure and promotion, I want my page to be as far reaching and have as strong a presence as possible. Most clients 'like' my page, some don't; sometimes they send me a friend request (on my personal account), sometimes they don't.

When I post pictures from a wedding or a shoot on the page, I like to tag clients (with their permission, of course) so that they show up on their page, and thereby increasing my exposure/reach. If I'm not friends with someone, FB doesn't allow me to tag them in photos I post, regardless of whether they're a fan of the page or not - so without the photos appearing on anyone's page, they can easily go unnoticed as it gets pushed down the timeline of activity. Ideally, I'd be friends with all my clients and they would love to be tagged and share the photos, etc, but people use facebook differently - some will become friends with anyone and everyone, others are very selective. Some people spend hours on it a day, some log in once every couple weeks, others don't have an account at all.

FB does allow you to send messages to people even if they're not your friend, so a couple times I've sent messages to clients essentially saying "Here are a few pictures from the shoot, feel free to tag yourself" and include a link to the album. I don't know if sending a message and not friend requesting them comes across as not wanting to be their friend, but I don't want to request their friendship and have them think "Why's this guy want to be my friend, he's just our photographer."

I feel like facebook is largely filled with petty BS and would actually like to spend less time on it, but at the same time, it's such a powerful (and free) marketing tool, that I want to have a strong presence to increase my exposure. A little paradox of a situation I suppose.

So what are your thoughts? As a photographer, how do you use facebook to promote your business? Are you friends with your clients on FB? Do you tag people in photos on your page, or let them tag themselves? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Connecticut Wedding and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Equipment/Feedback

sponsored links
jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 23, 2012 12:56 |  #2

I use it simply as a tool. My main focus is on using it to build my business and therefore I use it very little for personal interaction. I have my "business page" and my "personal page". Sometimes clients "like" my business page but don't friend me, sometimes they do both. If I'm friends with someone, I'll generally go tag the watermarked photos that I post....this gives me a lot more reach. I don't post anything without the permission from the client.

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 23, 2012 13:16 as a reply to  @ jra's post |  #3

I personally have very little use for it. My sales rep however has an active presence that has generated work in the commercial world.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 23, 2012 17:32 |  #4

It's a tool and just like any tool, there's a right way to use it and a wrong way to use it.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

mark1616
209 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 23, 2012 17:36 |  #5

I only have clients use my business page, I encourage them and family/friends to tag photos on this page so that people can spot the shots and comment etc. I don't have any clients as friends on my personal page as I like to keep business business. This seems to work pretty well for me as I have just over 1350 likes on my business page and I'm not even a great photographer :D

FB does help with referals and also it is a medium where people can see what previous customers are saying about your work.

1DmkIV: 2x 5DmkIII: 2x 5DmkII: 5D: 7D: 15mm Fish: 17-40L: 24-105L: 70-200L IS (v1): 35L: 135L: 85mm f1.8: Σ50mm f1.4: Σ105mm f2.8 Macro: Σ120-300mm f2.8
A wedding photographer who knows he is not as good as he could be so always looking to improve. Happy to take any and all constructive advice and critique!
Devon Wedding Photographer (external link) - Plymouth Wedding Photography Blog (external link) - Facebook (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 24, 2012 05:56 |  #6

Pretty much every client is a facebook friend. I don't care about getting Likes. Likes are not clients. I use it for everything. People can get a feel for my personality, good and bad, to better decide whether they want my services. Photography is a personal service and if you try to be completely neutral or "perfect" or "business only" you'll seem boring to people who want a photographer who will be fun and let them be themselves.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

pbisfun
231 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 24, 2012 11:00 |  #7

My main tools right now are word of mouth and business cards. I have a website but it's a tool not a main marketing. face book is more for people to follow you not bring in more customers. I find word of mouth is your best tool, and going out and passing out business cards works great too. you really need to be a people person. my wife brings in way more business then I do I guess she is easier to to talk to and better looking. third I put my URL on my Car that works better then Face book.

the light is seen by all but not understood by all
http://photoSentimenta​l.com (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 24, 2012 12:10 |  #8

lots of good feedback about Facebook here:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1174941

Not exactly the same thread title, but very similar concept

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 24, 2012 12:20 |  #9

900 million users...............ju​st saying

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

mark1616
209 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 24, 2012 12:25 |  #10

You-by-Lou wrote in post #14478998 (external link)
900 million users...............ju​st saying

Exactly, I never understand why people are so negative about using FB, it's free and you can get friends and family of many people you photograph engaged in your work........ seems good for me and takes almost no time at all, I just do it when blogging it is a duplicate of the photos used..... simples :)

1DmkIV: 2x 5DmkIII: 2x 5DmkII: 5D: 7D: 15mm Fish: 17-40L: 24-105L: 70-200L IS (v1): 35L: 135L: 85mm f1.8: Σ50mm f1.4: Σ105mm f2.8 Macro: Σ120-300mm f2.8
A wedding photographer who knows he is not as good as he could be so always looking to improve. Happy to take any and all constructive advice and critique!
Devon Wedding Photographer (external link) - Plymouth Wedding Photography Blog (external link) - Facebook (external link)

StephenAndrew
THREAD ­ STARTER
855 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 24, 2012 14:08 |  #11

Interesting to see such contrasting views regarding facebook usage. I definitely plan to continue using it to its potential (as much as I dislike it sometimes), especially since such a large population of my clients' demographic are on it (20 and 30-somethings). Definitely a good way to reach out and expose/promote your business. Seeing as it can be used as professionally or personally as the user sees fit, I guess the question is where to draw the line, which is where the big grey area is for me. Ahh...just going to have to use my judgement on a case-by-case basis I guess. F'in facebook, man, I tell ya :p

Connecticut Wedding and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Equipment/Feedback

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 24, 2012 23:34 |  #12

mark1616 wrote in post #14479025 (external link)
Exactly, I never understand why people are so negative about using FB, it's free and you can get friends and family of many people you photograph engaged in your work........ seems good for me and takes almost no time at all, I just do it when blogging it is a duplicate of the photos used..... simples :)

StephenAndrew wrote in post #14479544 (external link)
Interesting to see such contrasting views regarding facebook usage. I definitely plan to continue using it to its potential (as much as I dislike it sometimes), especially since such a large population of my clients' demographic are on it (20 and 30-somethings). Definitely a good way to reach out and expose/promote your business. Seeing as it can be used as professionally or personally as the user sees fit, I guess the question is where to draw the line, which is where the big grey area is for me. Ahh...just going to have to use my judgement on a case-by-case basis I guess. F'in facebook, man, I tell ya :p

the views on my photos tripled when I started making them "public"
this way friends of friends of friends can see and comment when you post pictures of them

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

biffstephens
43 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 24, 2012 23:40 as a reply to  @ You-by-Lou's post |  #13

Create a page for your Photography....where you post pictures and have people like the page. You can do status updates and what not.

That way you don't have people friending you just to see a picture.

I too make my pictures public but people still friend me for some reason....before you know it you will be getting fight about home schooling, vaccinations or drinking real milk...the arguments won't help you sell pictures....keep those people on the Photography page...

:)

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,712 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

May 25, 2012 06:59 |  #14

Exactly, make a separate page for your photo business. Facebook should not be your only marketing, advertising, contact with the public but it is obviously a method to contact clients and non-clients.
Facebook certainly is a great way to give your work away for free. Many people only want facebook pictures and don't care about a watermark, big X in the middle, anything else you do to "prevent" a screen capture.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 25, 2012 07:17 |  #15

ChunkyDA wrote in post #14482763 (external link)
Exactly, make a separate page for your photo business. Facebook should not be your only marketing, advertising, contact with the public but it is obviously a method to contact clients and non-clients.
Facebook certainly is a great way to give your work away for free. Many people only want facebook pictures and don't care about a watermark, big X in the middle, anything else you do to "prevent" a screen capture.

It's not a very good tool for photographers who shoot random things and hope to make a sale, but it's fantastic for photographers who shoot people who already purchased the session and/or photos.

I use it knowing that people will snag the photos for their profile. That's actually the primary reason I post them in the first place. The more they get spread around and tagged, the more visible I become among the kinds of people I want as clients...birds of a feather flocking together and all that.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links

5,746 views & 0 likes for this thread
Clients and Facebook
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.