Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 May 2012 (Friday) 10:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

$900 (Pentax price, cheaper elsewhere) Pentax K-30 with weather seals

jc1350
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 25, 2012 10:11 |  #1

The new Pentax K-30 is fully weather sealed. I hope this prompts Canon to put seals on its XXD and higher cameras.

http://www.pentaximagi​ng.com/dslr/K-30_Black (external link)

--
John

sponsored links
Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 25, 2012 10:47 |  #2

Water resistant. Coldproof. So basically, like any sealed Canon.

Dunk it and watch it die. Promise you that the warranty doesn't cover weather/water damage.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

jc1350
THREAD ­ STARTER
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 25, 2012 11:49 as a reply to  @ Virto's post |  #3

Right, but my point is to get that level of weatherproofing in a Canon, you have to spend several thousand dollars. Unless it's out of date, another thread poster wrote that Only the xD series has those seals.

--
John

koala ­ yummies
736 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 25, 2012 11:55 as a reply to  @ jc1350's post |  #4

Yes, and even after you get a 1-series, not every lens has the lens-mount-gasket. Most people forget that both the body and the lens need to have the corresponding lens-mount gaskets to get the 'weather sealing' Canon touts, and a front filter is required on many lenses to make them 'fully sealed' as well.

flickr (external link)

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 25, 2012 13:44 |  #5

In all honesty, I think the weather-sealing thing is stupid anyway. What all these manufacturers have does is seal some cracks, doors and buttons with rubber that minimize water intrusion in the event of an unexpected shower or splash.

The only true way to weatherproof a camera is to bag it, and that's what a lot of shooters do.

I'd like to see an independent test of Canon's XXD line seals versus these Pentax seals to see if it's really a step up. I doubt that it is.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

jc1350
THREAD ­ STARTER
158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 25, 2012 17:06 |  #6

Good points all. I fell for the hype and was hoping to not be so paranoid,but now that you mention it, I don't recall ever seeing a naked camera used in the rain by anyone.

--
John

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 25, 2012 17:17 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

jc1350 wrote in post #14484901 (external link)
Good points all. I fell for the hype and was hoping to not be so paranoid,but now that you mention it, I don't recall ever seeing a naked camera used in the rain by anyone.

You are camera paranoid and Canon will not be more price, feature, and quality geared until its customer base are smarter, and more critical regarding purchase / upgrade.
Use your camera in the rain only with proper weather proof shielding.
Photograph Bare Naked Chics in the Rain Only.

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 25, 2012 18:14 as a reply to  @ EL_PIC's post |  #8

jc1350 wrote in post #14483418 (external link)
The new Pentax K-30 is fully weather sealed. I hope this prompts Canon to put seals on its XXD and higher cameras.

http://www.pentaximagi​ng.com/dslr/K-30_Black (external link)

Pentax has been doing the weather sealing on the K-XX series since the K-10. When I was in the market for my first DSLR in 2005/2006, I was very, very tempted to go with a K-10, because of the in-body image stabilization (that Canon and Nikon don't have that is another big rip-off, so they can sell you expensive stabilized lenses) and the weather sealing. Unfortunately, the very limited range of lenses (Pentax's own stable is much smaller, and third-party companies won't bother making Pentax mounts on a lot of their lenses) dissuaded me from getting a Pentax...but it was a very attractive proposition. Also note the 100% viewfinder...at Canon you have to have a 1D or a 5D3 for something like that!

The "coldproof" thing is a bit silly, I used to shoot in -55 C (-70 Fahrenheit, I think) with my xxD bodies...the batteries weren't happy, but the cameras never complained...also, the ability to shoot with AA batteries in the Pentax is neat too...definitely a lot of cool little tidbits in there.

Virto wrote in post #14483578 (external link)
Dunk it and watch it die. Promise you that the warranty doesn't cover weather/water damage.

Every word of what you said is true for all Canons. (I think what you're driving at is their picture is misleading...which I would agree with).

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 25, 2012 18:14 |  #9

jc1350 wrote in post #14484901 (external link)

I shoot in the rain all the time. Never had a problem yet.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 25, 2012 18:49 |  #10

Virto wrote in post #14484254 (external link)
I'd like to see an independent test of Canon's XXD line seals versus these Pentax seals to see if it's really a step up. I doubt that it is.

And you're basing this on....what exactly? From what I remember when I was looking at the K-10, their weather sealing seemed about on par with the current 7D. Which is certainly a step up from the XXD line in terms of weather sealing.

Your posts seem awfully fanboy-ish, my friend...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 25, 2012 19:04 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Virto wrote in post #14484254 (external link)
In all honesty, I think the weather-sealing thing is stupid anyway. What all these manufacturers have does is seal some cracks, doors and buttons with rubber that minimize water intrusion in the event of an unexpected shower or splash.

The only true way to weatherproof a camera is to bag it, and that's what a lot of shooters do.

Why do you doubt it? just because it has a Canon logo on the camera. The XXD line of cameras have very little sealing in them...not very hard to improve on that.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,476 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

May 25, 2012 22:23 |  #12

They called -10 C as cold prof ? It is scam. I use my Rebel in colder temperatures.
But it is still impressive camera. 6fps, better OVF, faster shutter.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

May 26, 2012 07:17 |  #13

I shot with Pentex before I moved to Canon and the weather sealing worked very well (the K20 was my last Pentax). Another nice thing about the Pentax line is that you don't have to buy * lenses to get weather sealing, so you can get some good protection for a fraction of the cost.

I have nothing bad to say about Pentax at all, only reason I switched was for better AF performance and lens selection because I started shooting sports.

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 29, 2012 16:52 |  #14

Hogloff wrote in post #14485293 (external link)
Why do you doubt it? just because it has a Canon logo on the camera. The XXD line of cameras have very little sealing in them...not very hard to improve on that.

Don't even try calling me out as a Canon fanboy. I've used Olympus, Minolta and Pentax cameras far longer than I've used Canon cameras - Canon simply offered the best digital option for me.

Yes, XXD bodies have very little sealing, but the OP specifically stated that he hoped Pentax's new offering would make Canon take notice. I simply stated that I would like to see a side by side comparison for this Pentax and whatever a similarly-marketed Canon would be - and how things would result.

sponsored links

2,172 views & 0 likes for this thread
$900 (Pentax price, cheaper elsewhere) Pentax K-30 with weather seals
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.