Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 May 2012 (Wednesday) 19:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographer anxiety

lensfreak
484 posts
Joined May 2012

May 25, 2012 05:11 |  #16

I think today, photography now has these master photographers that create amazing work and we all try match or better their work in the path to being on top. I know, I have sat down recently trying to get the Dave Hill look and Joel grimes look and its driving me nuts. On the flipside I just watched a NatGeo doco on 'Behind the Photo', which showed a photographer in a war torn country photographing the horrors and heartbreak of war. His photos weren't like Hill or Grimes, they were RAW images of people suffering and struggling for their lives, the images made the viewer think, cry and create an overwhelming level of respect for what they are seeing. So, is photography about the crisp, post processed look that is the rave at the moment or is it more than that? Does a photo need to go through the complex process of post processing to be a great photo?

sponsored links
S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 25, 2012 05:29 |  #17

The race is against yourself.

Only you can decide when you have reached your potential.

All you know now is that you have not.

Go have fun. It will come. Play the long game.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 25, 2012 05:37 |  #18

JakAHearts wrote in post #14475670 (external link)
Does anyone else ever get this feeling? When I look at other photographers work, and think that it isnt that great, I often feel like Im not good enough to do better or that there are lots of people thinking the same thing about my work and just not telling me, just like I dont tell those photographers. Im very glad to admit when someone is a better photographer than I and Im a very self confident guy but when it comes to photography, I always feel insecure when Im going to take pictures. Am I alone? :)

Yes, I feel that way most of the time, but think of it as a spur to drive you to better things. I try to treat it that way, but not always with great success.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

angryman
573 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2011

May 25, 2012 11:56 as a reply to  @ Lowner's post |  #19

I get what you're saying - people give praise to all kinds of quality, and you're not sure if your praise is genuine, or a token gesture. The only person that can answer it is you, if you're happy with your work, then thats all that matters.

Be true to your benchmark, dont lower your standards just because you missed a shot (I've deleted some great moments that were captured badly), and make sure the real world only sees the best of you.

But while 1000 may say they like a photo, take notice of the one who criticizes it.

Angryman Photography & Design (external link)

JakAHearts
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,744 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 25, 2012 12:21 |  #20

angryman wrote in post #14483852 (external link)
I get what you're saying - people give praise to all kinds of quality, and you're not sure if your praise is genuine, or a token gesture. The only person that can answer it is you, if you're happy with your work, then thats all that matters.

Be true to your benchmark, dont lower your standards just because you missed a shot (I've deleted some great moments that were captured badly), and make sure the real world only sees the best of you.

But while 1000 may say they like a photo, take notice of the one who criticizes it.

I think this is exactly it. Thanks for putting it into different wording.

Shane
flickr (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
12,341 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 25, 2012 12:29 |  #21

You're great, just ask yourself! ;) :lol:

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony: α1, α7S III | Sony: 24GM, 35GM, 12-24GM, 24-105G, 200-600G | Sigma Art: 35 F1.2, 105 Macro | Zeiss Batis: 85, 135 | Zeiss Loxia: 21, 35, 85

JakAHearts
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,744 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 25, 2012 12:37 |  #22

HAHAHAHAHA Thanks David. I just checked and you know what, Im only ok. :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 25, 2012 12:41 |  #23

I hate almost every photo I've ever taken. I always know I could have done better.

Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
485 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 25, 2012 12:41 |  #24

After a quick look at your 500px Im thinking you are one of those photographers I strive to be. Be confident in yourself, you are excellent.

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank
Is It Normal for Me to Have 7 Camera Bags?

JakAHearts
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,744 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 25, 2012 12:44 |  #25

HardDriveDisk, thats really really nice of you to say. Thanks so much. Im with Charro on this one, Im always paying more attention to what I should have done better. However, Charro is one of those guys with skills I strive learn. I guess its just a big learning ladder, top to bottom. :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

angryman
573 posts
Joined May 2011

May 25, 2012 12:46 |  #26

Hard Drive Disk wrote in post #14484003 (external link)
After a quick look at your 500px Im thinking you are one of those photographers I strive to be. Be confident in yourself, you are excellent.

Did the same...you have nothing to worry about

Leftcoast_Mike
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 25, 2012 12:46 |  #27

I follow (and greatly admire) a few photographers who I've never actually met outside of FB or POTN. While looking at their work vs mine over the last 2 years has been trying at times it always pushes me to be better than the last time and as long as I can see the improvements then I'm happy. It's ALWAYS a huge boost to get acknowledgement from those you admire or consider to be the 'benchmark' and I appreciate their silence as well as I know they don't simply give away compliments.

If I look at pictures I took 2-3 years ago vs the one's I shot even just last weekend I feel pretty good about how things have progressed and I have my hard work, the people who have given me some amazing opportunities and those that graciously put up with my questions to thank for it.

My Facebook Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

angryman
573 posts
Joined May 2011

May 25, 2012 12:48 |  #28

JakAHearts wrote in post #14484013 (external link)
Im always paying more attention to what I should have done better.

I wish every photographer had this attitude.....it's the only way to keep from becoming complacent

JakAHearts wrote in post #14484013 (external link)
I guess its just a big learning ladder, top to bottom. :D

and you'll never find anyone who is comfortable saying they have reached the top, AND has the images to back it up.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 25, 2012 12:52 as a reply to  @ angryman's post |  #29

Interestingly there was someone posting on another thread here that actually said he was good. That seems an odd statement when we know photography is an art and no one ever reaches the top of the game.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 26, 2012 02:11 |  #30

Lowner wrote in post #14484041 (external link)
Interestingly there was someone posting on another thread here that actually said he was good. That seems an odd statement when we know photography is an art and no one ever reaches the top of the game.

I don't see a problem with a photographer stating that he's good, provided that his work backs up that statement.

Granted, no one ever will learn everything, and there is ALWAYS a hell of a lot of room for improvement. But someone can state that they are "good" without having it be implied that they think they're the best thing since sliced bread.

It can be bad to get fat-headed and cocky, but it can be equally bad to have a total lack of confidence. Just because you're not perfect doesn't mean that you're not good, and it can actually be detrimental to a person's work to constantly undermine their own skill and talent with a lack of confidence.

As much as possible, I think that people should just be realistic about their strengths and weaknesses. No, no one is ever going to be perfect, and why would anyone WANT to attain perfection? But at the same time, many people actually are quite good. And there's not a damn thing wrong with them knowing that.

sponsored links

6,246 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographer anxiety
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.