Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 25 May 2012 (Friday) 15:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

May 16, 2012, the Postal Service is prohibiting international shipments of lithium b

Calindy
816 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 25, 2012 15:31 |  #1

For anyone who orders batteries thru the US Mail, a new rule has started: (sorry if this has been posted, I did not find one)

Please be advised that effective today, May 16, 2012, the Postal Service is prohibiting international shipments of lithium batteries.

Specifically, USPS® shipment of the following items is prohibited to international, APO, FPO and DPO locations:

• Primary lithium metal or lithium alloy (non-rechargeable) cells and batteries
  • Secondary lithium-ion cells or batteries (rechargeable)
Devices that contain lithium batteries are also prohibited, which may include a number of electronics such as cell phones, smartphones, portable gaming devices, and MP3 players.

Calindy
Photography is my Prozac!
Canon Digital EOS 7 D, Lenses: EF IS 100-400mm L USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM , Tamron 18-270 mm, Canon EF 50 mm F/1:4 USM, Tokina 11-16MM F/2.8 ATX 116 Lens, 430EX Canon Flash, Canon G 10 , Blackrapid R-7 Strap

sponsored links
HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 25, 2012 15:38 |  #2

a) it bans outgoing to international destinations, not incoming.
b) new standards will be implemented 1/1/2013, this is temporary.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Calindy
THREAD ­ STARTER
816 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 25, 2012 15:43 |  #3

Thanks, I am sorry that I missed that part, oh well, it's good to be aware anyway!

Calindy
Photography is my Prozac!
Canon Digital EOS 7 D, Lenses: EF IS 100-400mm L USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM , Tamron 18-270 mm, Canon EF 50 mm F/1:4 USM, Tokina 11-16MM F/2.8 ATX 116 Lens, 430EX Canon Flash, Canon G 10 , Blackrapid R-7 Strap

Shutterwolf
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 25, 2012 19:36 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Wait so will this effect sending my Xti with 2 batteries to Canada? I was going to ship it out early this week...

also, why in the hell are they making such a stupid ass rule like this?

Josh
https://www.facebook.c​om/ShutterwolfPhotogra​phy (external link)
60D, 550EX, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark II, Canon 28-135mm IS, 18-55(old), Rebel Xti/400D (for sale)

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,464 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 25, 2012 20:06 |  #5

Shutterwolf wrote in post #14485376 (external link)
Wait so will this effect sending my Xti with 2 batteries to Canada? I was going to ship it out early this week...

also, why in the hell are they making such a stupid ass rule like this?

Lithium batteries have been blamed for a few aircraft fires (external link). I would think this is just temporary until they find a safer way to package them for shipping.

Mark J.
Gear

Shutterwolf
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 25, 2012 21:12 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

M_Six wrote in post #14485487 (external link)
Lithium batteries have been blamed for a few aircraft fires (external link). I would think this is just temporary until they find a safer way to package them for shipping.

Well ****... how am I supposed to send the camera and batteries to my friend then? Maybe there is a ground option for sending it to Canada?

Josh
60D, 550EX, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark II, Canon 28-135mm IS, 18-55(old), Rebel Xti/400D (for sale)

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 25, 2012 21:31 |  #7

Shutterwolf wrote in post #14485713 (external link)
Well ****... how am I supposed to send the camera and batteries to my friend then? Maybe there is a ground option for sending it to Canada?

Yep, it's a problem for sure. But the aircraft fire danger is very real and needs to be addressed. The batteries themselves are a problem, but the fires are usually local and don't cause that much damage. But when a crate on a pressurized aircraft catches fire, it's a major issue.

I think UPS Ground means ground transport all the way. You'd have to check with them, though. And this new reg only affects USPS.

Mark J.
Gear

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 30, 2012 12:22 |  #8

Shutterwolf wrote in post #14485713 (external link)

Just send him the camera and let him pick up batteries locally or from Chinese ebay sellers.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,401 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined May 2005

May 30, 2012 12:28 |  #9

Hmmm...they do not cause fire on domestic flights though huh...

M_Six wrote in post #14485487 (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 30, 2012 12:29 |  #10

Buckeye1 wrote in post #14506438 (external link)
Hmmm...they do not cause fire on domestic flights though huh...

Well I was going to say they can use ground domestically, but not to two of our states and most of our territories. Maybe it's a result of blowback from other countries since it seems to only affect outgoing?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Shutterwolf
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 30, 2012 12:41 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Idk but i went to ship yesterday and the cheapest option was fedex which was on par with the usps for shipping cost, but then they wanted me to pay the canadian tax on the damn thing so i told em to shove it. That makes absolutely no sence making me pay the import tax for something someone else is buying. Anyway, luckially my friend is going to visit the states soon, so i will just ship it to where he will be visiting instead i guess.

Josh

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 30, 2012 13:09 |  #12

I have a friend in CA who tried to ship a Kindle to his family back in Australia and they told him to go UPS / Fedex because of the restriction. Ended up costing way too much money...

My first thought was, are they going to ban these items for passengers as well?

Joel

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

May 30, 2012 16:00 |  #13

M_Six wrote in post #14485799 (external link)
Yep, it's a problem for sure. But the aircraft fire danger is very real and needs to be addressed. ...

So they trust some warehouse worker in China to package them correctly and send them to me, but they're worried that my shipment to New Zealand is going to start a fire?

Sounds like the intent of the rule ran into the practical ramifications of interfering with China.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 30, 2012 16:27 |  #14

cacawcacaw wrote in post #14507455 (external link)
So they trust some warehouse worker in China to package them correctly and send them to me, but they're worried that my shipment to New Zealand is going to start a fire?

Sounds like the intent of the rule ran into the practical ramifications of interfering with China.

No more of less ridiculous than the rule against electronic devices below 10,000ft on passenger jets. I got screamed at because I was taking a pic with a tiny P&S at about 7000ft while passing by Chicago. Like my tiny camera was going to cause the plane to crash or something.

Mark J.
Gear

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 30, 2012 16:35 |  #15

joeblack2022 wrote in post #14506645 (external link)
I have a friend in CA who tried to ship a Kindle to his family back in Australia and they told him to go UPS / Fedex because of the restriction. Ended up costing way too much money...

My first thought was, are they going to ban these items for passengers as well?

Hmm, that could be a worry. That would really change things for a lot of people.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

sponsored links

1,427 views & 0 likes for this thread
May 16, 2012, the Postal Service is prohibiting international shipments of lithium b
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.