Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 May 2012 (Friday) 18:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Still undecided on the 5D3

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 25, 2012 21:08 |  #16

davidc502 wrote in post #14485656 (external link)
But what if you're in the 99% of people who don't have the money just lying around? What then? So do you put 3500 dollars on the credit card with big plans of paying it off in say 5 years?

If you WANT the 5D Mk III, or the 1Dx, and you have the money, whether you NEED IT or NOT, just BUY THE DAMN THING!!

notice the mutual-exclusiveness.

but yes, I agree with you. "have creditcard" doesn't mean "have money", and that's how people got confused and got into debts.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

sponsored links
Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 25, 2012 21:21 |  #17

Well sure, SOMETHING can always come up unexpectedly. That's life! But you can't live your life constantly worrying about what MIGHT or COULD happen, and therefore not even enjoy it.

I mean you MIGHT get hit by lightning tomorrow so OMG you better not go outside ever again!

People worry too damn much!

If you have the money, the bills are paid, you want something...BUY IT, and ENJOY IT!!

You only LIVE once!

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

May 25, 2012 21:41 |  #18

Canonswhitelensesrule wrote in post #14485760 (external link)
Well sure, SOMETHING can always come up unexpectedly. That's life! But you can't live your life constantly worrying about what MIGHT or COULD happen, and therefore not even enjoy it.

I mean you MIGHT get hit by lightning tomorrow so OMG you better not go outside ever again!

People worry too damn much!

If you have the money, the bills are paid, you want something...BUY IT, and ENJOY IT!!

You only LIVE once!

+1! That's how my gf views it as well. As long as the bills are paid, i have double the amount of money saved up towards whatever i want to buy, i should just go ahead and get it. If not, save up and wait it out a bit longer. I'm about to finish paying off my car next month and i have a choice to either pay off the car or buy a 35L. Obviously, maybe you'll guess which route i will take first :P.

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

triton3k
Goldmember
3,358 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 25, 2012 21:43 |  #19

Just do it, you won't regret it one bit.

Denn_Ice
Yashica Mat 124G, Canon A1, Sony A7RII, Sony Fe 16-35 F/4, Sony Fe 28 F/2, Sony Fe 55 F/1.8 Canon FD 24 F/2.8, FD 50 F/1.8, FD 135 F/2.5, Canon FL 50 F/1.4
Check me out on flickr (external link) Tumblr (external link) Instagram (external link) 500PX (external link)

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 25, 2012 21:56 |  #20

BryantFC wrote in post #14485841 (external link)
+1! That's how my gf views it as well. As long as the bills are paid, i have double the amount of money saved up towards whatever i want to buy, i should just go ahead and get it. If not, save up and wait it out a bit longer. I'm about to finish paying off my car next month and i have a choice to either pay off the car or buy a 35L. Obviously, maybe you'll guess which route i will take first :P.

Does your girlfriend have a sister? ;)

Oh and in case you didn't see it...

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=14485100&p​ostcount=1  :p:cool:

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

May 25, 2012 22:01 |  #21

cancan7 wrote in post #14485681 (external link)
that's true, very sound advice. But if a person's finances are tight, he shouldn't ask for advice in a gear forum right? :)

I figure most people will toy with the idea, of buying one, if they have the money handy or not. Maybe it's a good idea to see folks ask questions on the forum before just jumping into buying one.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

May 25, 2012 22:08 |  #22

Here's the great news about buying any Canon L lens or 1D or 5D series camera..... If one does take the plunge and finds himself or herself in a big hole, just sell and get 90% (blanket statement) of your money back out. It's amazing how some of the Canon products hold value over the years.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

May 25, 2012 22:29 |  #23

Canonswhitelensesrule wrote in post #14485890 (external link)
Does your girlfriend have a sister? ;)

Oh and in case you didn't see it...

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=14485100&p​ostcount=1  :p:cool:

she does, but she shoots nikon haha.

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

omegaone
133 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 25, 2012 22:32 |  #24

If you don't have problem with mk2 slow AF then don't buy mk3. Things that I don't like with mk2:
- very very slow AF
- only 1 center AF is realiable so I always recompose

Now with mk3, I'm very happy not having those annoying AF anymore

Canon 5D3 | 17-40 f4L | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 85 f1.2L II | 100 f2.8L IS
Flashes: Phottix Indra500 | 580EX I | 580EX II with Phottix Odin and Godox Winstro AD360
Fuji XT1 Black | | Fujinon 18-135 f3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon 10-24 f4 OIS | Fujinon 56 f1.2
Erwin Sajudi Photography (external link)

hb96tuner
THREAD ­ STARTER
191 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 25, 2012 23:02 |  #25

davidc502 wrote in post #14485656 (external link)
It's an amazing mentaility to just say screw it, and buy the 5dmk3. Heck if you've got the money laying around then why not? But what if you're in the 99% of people who don't have the money just lying around? What then? So do you put 3500 dollars on the credit card with big plans of paying it off in say 5 years? What if you blow a transmission on the car or some other big surprise comes up? What then? Well, one just takes on more debt, but by that time it's like the snowball effect going down hill getting bigger and bigger.

It just seems rather risky to risk ones futher for a camera that does has the ability to take great shots, but has many cheaper alternatives available.

I guess, these days, I'm just a little more careful with money. I remember those days in my 20's when I spent plastic without thinking of the consequences. The ending consequence was 35,000 in debt and no where to turn. Thankfully, those days are gone as well as the debt, but I've learned my lesson, and I'm wiser for the wear. Fortunately I got out of it without ever making a late payment, and my credit rating is stellar. Unfortunately many other people in the same situation were not that lucky. Sorry, not trying to lecture, but when I see comments like "to hell with it I'm buying one", it brings me back to those days when I didn't care, and I remember where that got me. Don't let it take you to the same place because it can happen to anybody.

Best wishes,

I can totally relate to you, when I was in my 20's money was like water...it poured in my hand and then back out, and mostly on senseless stuff which I had nothing to show for my money. And yes too many people these days just say to hell with it and go buy what the want and do not think of the consequences that follow. The banks have made it way to easy for people to get multiple credit cards!
My thoughts on buying the 5D3 is that because I sold my motorcycle which is my play toy money then I will be flipping this money back into my hobbies, which of coarse is photography. If it were because I "needed" the 5D3, then I would just go out on any given payday and buy it cash and have it done and over with. But a 5D3 is at this point a want rather than a need... as is most things in life.
One person mentioned buy it and sell the 5D2...this wouldn't be an option for me as I will be keeping the 5D2 for my back up second camera.

I believe that I have my mind made up now and i'm gonna buy it anyways!

5D3 | 5D2 Gripped | S100 | 580EXII | EF70-200L IS II 2.8 | EF 24-105L | EF100-400L | EF 50 1.8| Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye | Pentax MX 35mm | Tefnon 75-300mm | Vivitar 28mm Wide angle | Magnicon 3x Teleconverter | Pentax AF-16 Flash | Asahi Opt Co. 50mm

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 25, 2012 23:11 |  #26

BryantFC wrote in post #14485978 (external link)
she does, but she shoots nikon haha.

Hey, nobody's perfect. ;):p

World renowned professional nature photographers, John and Barbara Gerlach are a multi brand shooting couple.

John shoots Canon, while his wife, Barbara shoots Nikon. They've been very successful at it for over 30 years.

http://www.gerlachnatu​rephoto.com/ (external link)

Maybe you, and your GF will follow in their footsteps.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,836 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 26, 2012 06:09 |  #27

No one said DSLR photography was inexpensive. Not a good hobby choice if there is no extra cash. P&S photography may fit their budgets better.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

May 26, 2012 06:37 |  #28

I was thinking of upgrading, but now I'm slowing down on my work, so I don't really need it yet. I'm saving for next year.

If you have the funds and the reason to do it, why not? But pay all your bills first if this isn't more than a hobby. I know for me, getting the new cam is just want, not need. So, I am waiting.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Sync
233 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 26, 2012 06:41 |  #29

davidc502 wrote in post #14485913 (external link)
Here's the great news about buying any Canon L lens or 1D or 5D series camera..... If one does take the plunge and finds himself or herself in a big hole, just sell and get 90% (blanket statement) of your money back out. It's amazing how some of the Canon products hold value over the years.

Some actually go up in value too. For example I bought my 580EX II and a 24-70L from Amazon about two years ago. The 580 is now £100 more expensive from them, and the 24-70 is £300 more. Since I bought my 100L and 70-200 f/4L IS about a year ago their prices too have been creeping up and up.

ClassicJ
155 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 26, 2012 08:01 |  #30

You know u want it. No guts no glory. Now go buy that 5diii.

Canon 5D MarkIII | 135L | 70-200L IS II
Canon G16

sponsored links

6,287 views & 0 likes for this thread
Still undecided on the 5D3
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.