Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 May 2012 (Tuesday) 14:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon won't repair 1D MkII...too old now. A risk I take in buying cheap.

greg ­ h
55 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 22, 2012 14:42 |  #1

Hi all,

I got a good deal on a 1D MkII this year and I knew I was taking a little risk buying an older model, but I weighed my options and got it. I already had a 7D but wanted another body as backup. Like I said, it was a good price and even with 170K on the shutter I was happy.

Well, this weekend I shot a 5k race, 10k, as well as a half and full marathon, and after about 7,000 frames I see a bright band across the middle of the images and also an angled black bar on one edge. Yep, shutter's blown. I finished the event with my 7D and later pointed out to my understanding wife how beneficial it was to have a backup body. She indeed understood and was glad I had it too, since I was being paid for the event (I have a great wife).

Anyway, I called the NJ repair center this morning and was told that as of a few months ago the 1D MkII is no longer being serviced. It also does not appear on the eligible gear list for CPS repairs on the website.

Canon Parts does have the shutter in stock, but Canon Service won't touch it. Keep in mind that I was just joe blow calling in, not a CPS platinum guy. Maybe one of you would get different results. Anywho, I do have a repair guy who will get the replacement shutter from Canon and do the work. I am just letting you all know that the 1D MkII owned by mere mortals like myself are no longer on Canon's service list. (Just like my 28-70 2.8L!!). FWIW, the "N" does still appear on the list on the CPS site.

BTW, I'm not upset with Canon at all. I know it's not economical for them to service the older stuff.

Cheers,
Greg

www.haugenphoto.com (external link)
1D MkII, 7D, some L glass, bunch of speedlites..

sponsored links
polver
23 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 22, 2012 16:16 |  #2

Hi, wondering why if canon have the part in stock why would they not repair for you after all they have the expertise and you would be paying them to do the work? I guess were lucky then that a mechanic will still fix a car more than a few years old.

Nmura
730 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 22, 2012 16:22 |  #3

Isn't the shutter the same for both 1d mk II and N?

Gear

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,446 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 22, 2012 18:42 |  #4

greg h wrote in post #14469614 (external link)
I know it's not economical for them to service the older stuff.

Cheers,
Greg

Don't know why it is not economical when they have the parts. It is not they doing it for cheap. BTW - There are 3rd party places which can take care of it. Search the threads, it came up couple of times just recently.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

PM01
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 24, 2012 22:24 as a reply to  @ bobbyz's post |  #5

I've repaired and rebuilt shutters before. Fairly easy if you know the tricks.

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 24, 2012 22:40 |  #6

bobbyz wrote in post #14470668 (external link)
Don't know why it is not economical when they have the parts. It is not they doing it for cheap. BTW - There are 3rd party places which can take care of it. Search the threads, it came up couple of times just recently.

I would think if I was wanting to train employees, I would want to focus on newer models than old. There's just not enough of a market to make it cost effective.

I assume taking apart an older model might have more problems associated with disassembly, such as data ribbons being brittle or breaking compared to a new one.

It's one of those things where the exec's make a decision of what to support and it goes down the line. Sure they could still do it, but they have to draw the official line at some point.

It's also better to stop with a little inventory than to take in a model for repair and find out you have no stock. Let the 3rd part people buy the remaining inventory (which is also no longer cost effective to produce).

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,922 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 24, 2012 23:21 |  #7

bobbyz wrote in post #14470668 (external link)
Don't know why it is not economical when they have the parts. It is not they doing it for cheap.

It's not economical because if they repaired older model cameras and lenses, it stands to reason that not as many people would buy new cameras and lenses.

If Canon stops repairing the older models, and stops producing parts for the older models, more people will be forced to buy the new models. When people buy the new cameras and lenses, Canon makes a profit. Hence, it's not economical to encourage people to keep using the older models.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Cozmocha
728 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 24, 2012 23:25 |  #8

I am a CPS Plat member. I had a shutter replaced for a 1D IIN a few months ago no problems. Not sure why they didn't do it for you..?

-Kurt
www.kurtriversphoto.co​m (external link) || http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/kurtrivers (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,142 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

May 25, 2012 00:24 |  #9

Cozmocha wrote in post #14481898 (external link)
I am a CPS Plat member. I had a shutter replaced for a 1D IIN a few months ago no problems. Not sure why they didn't do it for you..?

it's all in his first post.

ed

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 25, 2012 01:49 |  #10

Cozmocha wrote in post #14481898 (external link)

He said in his post that they're still repairing the 1D2n...plus, there have been TONS of posts about this on POTN...1D2 is out, 1D2n is still in...though I'm guessing it's circling the drain as well.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 25, 2012 02:41 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #11

For Canadian members in Southern Ontario.. Douglas Banks is amazing. He took all the courses in LA, etc. 25-30 years ago, has been in business over 20.. offers great pricing, nothing he won't take on. I've used him a few times, he's fast, fair, and ships things back with near-bomb proof packing!! LOL. He lives about 75 minutes by car from me, and it's worth it. He gave me a rough estimate for a shutter for my 1DII, when i was about to buy it(i wanted to have an idea on the price before buying.. with ~80k actuations).

*** I'm in NO WAY affiliated with him, or friends with him.. just a happy costumer.***

He worked at a Camera shop in Kingston for many, many years, which closed, and ventured out on his own. He's in Enterprise Ontario(Slightly North/East of Napanee), and seems to be the only tech between Ottawa and Toronto. If he can get the parts, he can fix your problem.

DOUGLAS BANKS Photographic Equipment Repairs (external link)

Kel
Gear

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,143 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Jan 2004

May 25, 2012 04:43 |  #12

technically if replacing the shutter, all the seals should be replaced as well (which they may not have stock of) so I can see why Canon would turn this sort of job down. Sad but understandable.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

May 25, 2012 07:40 as a reply to  @ joeseph's post |  #13

With 7000 pictures taken per weekend cameras are true commodity.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

jayadeff
367 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2004

May 26, 2012 00:34 |  #14

This also sucks because I can't use my CPS discount for repairs on my MkII now. I'm glad I just had my MkIIn repaired by Canon. Who knows how much longer they will service those and my 5D...

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,566 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 26, 2012 02:30 |  #15

In one way, technology is great but I hate the fact in how so many things become obsolete so soon. It wasn't that long ago that a camera body was expected to last for many years with proper care and repair.....now, at 5-7 years old, cameras are often considered old and well beyond their time.

sponsored links

4,126 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon won't repair 1D MkII...too old now. A risk I take in buying cheap.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.