Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 May 2012 (Tuesday) 22:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone keep their L lenses in the pouches?

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 24, 2012 22:55 |  #61

mine stay protected in the closet. =]

My bag is pretty well protected with the standard lowepro padding, so why add an extra step when switching lenses? On a hot day, the last thing you want to do is spend more time sweating in between lens changes rather than getting the shot and finding some shade to take a break at.

if i had owned the 85L II, i probably would use the lens case as the size of that lens is huge!

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

sponsored links
nightcat
Goldmember
4,511 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 24, 2012 23:28 |  #62

I think those thin little draw string pouches are garbage. The only cases I like that are supplied with a Canon lens are the ones that come with the 300mm f4 and the 400mm 5.6. The other thing I like about those 2 lenses is the built in hood.

davomate
114 posts
Joined May 2011

May 25, 2012 01:45 as a reply to  @ nightcat's post |  #63

Never. The lenses sit on a shelf when not in use (no issues with humidity or large temperature fluctations in Melbourne, Australia). In a padded camera bag when out and about. If I had to pull a lens out of a drawstring bag each time I used it, I would hesitate to change lenses!

Canon 7D / 10-22 / 17-55 / 70-200 f2.8L IS II / 100-400L / 100L Macro / Σ 30 f1.4 A / Σ 85 f1.4

Skul
92 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 25, 2012 02:06 |  #64

On the body or stuffed in the carry bag.

PHughes
362 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Nov 2009

May 25, 2012 09:52 |  #65

I use them when I shoot in countries where I don't want to carry a camera bag or camera backpack that screams camera gear. I use a small regular backpack and put the lens in its pouch... sometimes. Other times I just put them in the backpack loose. I have at least one lens in a pouch so they won't rub up against each other. If I use a camera bag I see no point in using the pouch.

Christina.DazzleByDesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 25, 2012 19:08 |  #66

New question! Why do you leave your lenses on shelves when at home, vs. just keeping them tucked away in your camera bag? I've been thinking of having a shelf built but right now, my equipment seems safest staying in my bag

5D3 | 7D | 85L II | 70-300L | 24-105L | Nifty Fifty | 600EX-RT_______________
| Facebook (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear List |Flickr (external link) |

olcoach
93 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 25, 2012 23:12 |  #67

Maybe I have too many lenses but I buy padded cases from Adorama and keep the lenses I'm not using in their case in my camera space at home. I live in one of the driest places in the US so I don't worry about fungus and mold. I dropped a lens once and it was destroyed and it's never going to happen to me again if I can help it. Have fun and keep shootin'. Mike

HectorOchoa
40 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 26, 2012 00:47 |  #68

Just throw it in the bag!

davomate
114 posts
Joined May 2011

May 29, 2012 01:43 |  #69

Christina.DazzleByDesi​gn wrote in post #14485309 (external link)
New question! Why do you leave your lenses on shelves when at home, vs. just keeping them tucked away in your camera bag?

Easier to keep out of reach of little fingers, and to select what I am going to put into the bag before I head out. My messenger bag only holds half my lenses, so I choose differently each time depending on what I may be shooting.

Canon 7D / 10-22 / 17-55 / 70-200 f2.8L IS II / 100-400L / 100L Macro / Σ 30 f1.4 A / Σ 85 f1.4

garbidz
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2005

May 29, 2012 13:44 |  #70

Here in the tropic, the salt mist from the ocean actually kills everything metal or cloth or plastic.
I live now up in the 600 meters..here the problem is the humidity. So I keep everything I am not using at the moment in the Pelican 1510 with desiccants and take them out only as I use them.
My friend lost a beautiful set of Nikon lenses to moisture. I nearly cried seeing the fungus grow on the 2.8/200 tele...
What can you do once it is there?
He has a friend who does radiology.
Even gamma rays could not resolve his problem with the fungi.
Yeah. Do not fool around with your valuable stuff in the tropic.
I believe in Pelican for the time being and I cook the desiccants in the oven every now and then.
When they turn pink, that is.

For now, it is either out in the field on in the Pelican.
I have no money to throw away.

bag

sponsored links

6,479 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone keep their L lenses in the pouches?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.