Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 09:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are Amateurs destroying Photography

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 25, 2012 15:49 |  #826

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14484470 (external link)
Don't forget to properly register some aliases as well...

You know, just in case?

Oh goodness...yes! Must have a "plan B"! Cheaper than indemnity insurance, that's for sure!

Growing old disgracefully!

sponsored links
Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,696 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 25, 2012 17:35 |  #827

Ricardo222 wrote in post #14484467 (external link)
We already have, Chet! You'd be amazed at how easy brain surgery is....

ah now I know why so many kiwis cross the Tasman to Oz for surgery ;)

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 25, 2012 18:22 |  #828

We scribes felt the same way when everyone learned to write.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 25, 2012 18:35 |  #829

tkbslc wrote in post #14485177 (external link)

And "Ye Holy Churche" has been paying it back ever since... :lol:

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,696 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 25, 2012 18:37 |  #830

tkbslc wrote in post #14485177 (external link)

Imagine the plight of the poor old cooper with the advent of the galvanised steel pail.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 25, 2012 18:41 |  #831

fotoworx wrote in post #14485229 (external link)
Imagine the plight of the poor old cooper with the advent of the galvanised steel pail.

Thank God for the Whiskey and Rum industries!

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,696 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 25, 2012 18:53 |  #832

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14485239 (external link)
Thank God for the Whiskey and Rum industries!

And thats where the pro photographer will always find a niche.

Cooperage would be a small industry today compared to yesteryear. The vast majority of people are happy and content with plastic, but some people (the ones with the $$$ to spend) still need first class wooden barrels.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 25, 2012 19:06 |  #833

fotoworx wrote in post #14485013 (external link)
ah now I know why so many kiwis cross the Tasman to Oz for surgery ;)

Ah ha...my plan is succeeding!

Growing old disgracefully!

NavyShrink
259 posts
Joined May 2011

May 25, 2012 22:28 |  #834

plawren53202 wrote in post #14479910 (external link)
I think I am hearing separate discussions going on in this thread about two separate types of amateur photographers: (a) amateurs who do high quality work but charge amateur prices because it is just a hobby to them; and (b) amateurs who do poor quality work but market themselves as professionals or semi-pros and charge prices that would indicate they are more professional than their work quality indicates.

Not being a professional photographer, I have a hard time seeing the problem with category (a). In most aspects of a market economy, competitors who deliver goods or services of equal quality but lower prices usually tend to improve the quality of the market.

My complaint is far more with those in category (b). I see a lot of people getting photographs that, quite frankly, are awful, from "semi-pros" (primarily, people who do photography as a "side business") who have no business charging anyone anything, or marketing themselves as a photography business.

I know the motto "let the buyer beware" applies as in any other field, but I also think photographers have an ethical obligation to recognize their own limitations and market/not market accordingly.

The market will correct for your category (b). It always does. Yeah, a few people will get burned along the way (caveat emptor, right?), but the word will get out, and those crappy photographers will either have to improve, charge lower prices, or will be washed out of the market altogether. If this is a 'problem,' it's a self-correcting one.

5DII x2 | 7D | 17-40L | 35L | Σ 50 | 85L | 135L | 70-200L IS II | Fuji X100

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 26, 2012 01:53 |  #835

Mrslinger85 wrote in post #14484141 (external link)
I think the issue is that people assume that they can all be photographers, because they think it is not the same as other 2d art. You can either paint or you can't, its a talent that you develop.

Is this even true? I wouldn't know, since I'm not a painter. But I've taken like, a drawing class, and by the end of one semester I was a LOT better than I ever thought I could be. Granted, I still sucked. But there was very noticeable improvement after only a few months, and that largely boiled down to hard work and good teaching.

I'm assuming that it's pretty much the same thing with painting, or photography, or playing the guitar. I think that a whole lot of the "some people have it, some people don't" attitude largely boils down to the mere fact that a hell of a lot of people do these kinds of things solely for fun, and are never willing to put in the work that it takes to get good. So some photography hobbyist sees a great photographer who is consistently putting out amazing work and thinks, "I guess that person just 'has it'. I've been a photography hobbyist for 20 years and I've never come close to that."

But the thing is that often times the person saying that never really TRIED to get better, they were just doing it for fun. And they don't get to SEE all of the hard work and sacrifice that the other person put into it, so they assume that there's just some intangible thing that inherently makes some people good and some people bad.

Anyway, I don't doubt that some people have more potential than others. Yes, some people are more mathematically inclined, and some people are more artistically inclined. Yet, I think that lower level maths and sciences and arts really aren't that hard. I never would have been a rocket scientist or a molecular biologist, but high school chemistry/physics/calc​ulus are really just basic stuff. The vast majority of people can absolutely get competent at that stuff if they work hard enough at it. They might never be GREAT at it, they might start flunking out once they get into the more difficult higher level stuff, and it might be a bad idea for them to pursue careers doing that kind of stuff. But a hell of a lot of people get bad grades and say "I just don't get math" when what they really mean is that they don't have the time or interest to really work at it.

I think it's the same thing with photography as well. Yes, some people are more artistically inclined and have an advantage. Provided that they bust their asses off, they have the potential to be "great" while the most that many other people can hope to achieve is to simply be "good". But really...I think that damn near anyone can achieve at least a decent level of competence in specific areas if they really try. It's not THAT difficult. Yes, it it probably requires thinking, it probably requires research, it probably requires sacrifice, it probably requires good old fashioned hard work, and it very well may require treating it as more than fun and a hobby. But I think that anyone CAN learn photography, just as anyone can learn calculus or how to play guitar. They might never be GREAT at it, and there's nothing wrong if they don't want to put in that kind of effort. But there's a big huge difference between "can't" and "won't", and I get the feeling that a lot of people get those two things mixed up.

shayneyasinski
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 26, 2012 02:01 as a reply to  @ Clean Gene's post |  #836

yes!

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

PhotosGuy
75,828 posts
Joined Feb 2004

May 26, 2012 08:49 |  #837

NavyShrink wrote in post #14485972 (external link)
The market will correct for your category (b). It always does. Yeah, a few people will get burned along the way (caveat emptor, right?), but the word will get out, and those crappy photographers will either have to improve, charge lower prices, or will be washed out of the market altogether. If this is a 'problem,' it's a self-correcting one.

Don't forget that they keep upgrading in the hopes that smarter cameras will make a difference in their crappy shots. In the long run, that means that longer manufacturing runs mean lower prices for the rest of us? ;)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

May 27, 2012 09:02 |  #838

20droger wrote in post #14484482 (external link)
Just think of what tomorrow's photo credit will be like:

Image captured by Canon EOS 5D IV in full auto mode.
Image processed by Adobe PhotoShop CS8 in full auto mode.
Image copyright © 2013 by Canon, Inc., & Adobe, Inc., all rights reserved.
Shutter button pressed by John J. Smith, Fauxtographer.

Quite funny yet depressing at the same time.

Remember those geeks and nerds that were teased in high school? They are getting their revenge now! :D

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 27, 2012 09:50 |  #839

Karl C wrote in post #14490965 (external link)
Quite funny yet depressing at the same time.

Remember those geeks and nerds that were teased in high school? They are getting their revenge now! :D

Well, after all, how can someone claim they created an image when any creativity was in the camera and/or the pp program.

And the geeks and nerds always win. They own the banks.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 27, 2012 15:56 |  #840

I think cheap is the new good. It seems that in many areas, cost is king.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links

129,418 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are Amateurs destroying Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.