Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 May 2012 (Wednesday) 06:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Weighed your camera bag ? How heavy is your gear?

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,224 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 24, 2012 09:13 |  #16

Too heavy. I have broken more than one of the metal rings that the strap is affixed to. On the other hand, I have noticed that on camera bags, even respected brands like Lowepro, that often those attaching rings are made of crappy, thin pot metal.

Website (external link) |

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 24, 2012 17:07 |  #17

EL_PIC wrote in post #14472988 (external link)
17 pounds for 2 cameras + 3 lenes + 1 flash + accessories.
225 pounds for 1 photographer.
As long as you are less than 10% of your body weight you are in accord w FAA rules.

Unless your bag puts things over the weight allowance for the bin itself...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 24, 2012 19:18 |  #18

MidnightUK wrote in post #14472665 (external link)
Long day yesterday. Weighed my camera bag with all the gear I had in it when I got home. Came to 14 pounds.

Other people must carry much worse. Whats your burden?

Still camera in an elderly Tarmac bag is about seven pounds, that weight is minus a pesky cat who enjoys sleeping upon it.

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Nmcgrew
874 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 24, 2012 23:40 |  #19

I should weigh my lighting bag. Two AB800s, one ABR800, vagabond mini, one PLM, two 50 foot extension cords, moon unit, cyber commander and triggers, misc accessories, screw drivers, power strip, etc.

Carried it around a bunch last weekend...it's heavy. Oh and I had two 10 foot stands AND my camera bag...

Judy weighed it. Lighting bag is 35lbs.

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 25, 2012 00:21 as a reply to  @ Nmcgrew's post |  #20

If I am hiking, with all the fixings, including water, about 45lbs. It is a great Tamarac pack, well balanced and the weight does not bother me at all.

If I go into the city or urban areas, I use a great shoulder bag - Classified 200AW, it generally will weigh between 12-18lbs.
I took it into NYC today (no umbrella) and got poured upon/soaking wet, I mean dripping wet from head to shoes. I had to stand under a job scaffold for 1/2 hour for the storm to pass. My bag held up very well to the deluge.
Hehehe, I bought an umbrella shortly after that, and it did not rain for the rest of the day.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 25, 2012 10:09 |  #21

17lbs in my bag.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 25, 2012 10:37 |  #22

It depends a lot on what I'm doing. If it's a big job that requires lighting, stands, multiples lenses, cameras and accy's, I'm pretty sure I'm easily over 100 lbs and I use a dolly with tie down straps to move it around. If I'm out for pleasure, I keep things very light with just a body and lens.....sometimes I may pack a second lens or flash depending on the situation.

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 29, 2012 14:40 as a reply to  @ jra's post |  #23

7D + 28-300; 5D2 + 16-35 and a flash & a couple small bits and pieces, I think, was just about under the 7kg Singapore airline at Heathrow insisted on hand luggage!

It was in fact over at first but we found 2 small bottles of water inside..........and that made the difference.

There is no way that was going in hold!

The other option I suppose, is to put excess stuff in jacket pockets until you are on the plane.

Veered slightly off topic there.........

Gear List

Daphatty
490 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

May 29, 2012 17:00 |  #24

During my trip to South Africa, my LowePro Runner 350 was pushing 20-25 lbs depending on whether the 100-400L was in it. Thankfully, I was never asked to weigh it on the regional flights.

Canon 5D III | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 40mm f/2.8
Nest NT-6295c Tripod | Bendo IB2 Ballhead

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 29, 2012 17:04 |  #25

Mine used to comply with the 7kg carry on limit. But somehow it has porked it up and now weighs a portly 10kg. I think my gear is either eating and getting fat or rooting and mulitplying haha

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

MidnightUK
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 29, 2012 17:30 |  #26

Channel one - I get that cat problem too! What is it with cats and bags?
:-)

mspringfield
869 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2005

May 29, 2012 18:03 |  #27

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #14478125 (external link)
Too heavy. I have broken more than one of the metal rings that the strap is affixed to. On the other hand, I have noticed that on camera bags, even respected brands like Lowepro, that often those attaching rings are made of crappy, thin pot metal.

I hear you. I have a heavy duty Tamrac backpack and have broken both of the bottom crappy pot metal rings on the straps. I have replaced both with heavy duty stainless steel S-Biners from Home Depot.

To answer the OP, last time I weighed mine it came in at 52 lbs without my laptop.

Michael Springfield - Chattanooga, TN
Canon 1DsMkIII, Canon EOS M, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS, Canon EF 1.4x II

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 30, 2012 08:36 |  #28

I have a Tamrac Pro 12 that fits my body, all my lenses, a 1.4tc, flash, batteries and chargers, a flash bracket, and various odds and ends and I weighed it this morning and it came to 35 pounds.

willstar
Goldmember
4,188 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Location: Brisbane .............. Location: Australia ............. Location: 4152

May 30, 2012 08:46 as a reply to  @ Kronie's post |  #29

Overseas trip about 3 years ago, well over the allowed 7kgs - more like 17kgs. Wanted to cover every base - low light, zoom, you name it. Vowed never again.

Trip last year - just took G12 and a 580.

Just acquired (or at least will have it on my upcoming birthday) the (imho) perfect travel lens - so next trip will be that plus the 10-22. 6 lenses down to 2 - makes for much more comfortable travelling.

David
Gear List: 40D w/BG-E2N | G12 | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L[COLOR=black] IS | 28-300L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 50mm f1.4 | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Manfrotto 055XPROB/488RC2 + 682B/3229 | 580EX x2 | Crumpler W&C + 4 MDH + 7MDH
Our Smugmug (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 31, 2012 23:20 |  #30

14 lbs for my average every-day carry. That's the body, 50mm , 10-20, 17-70, 70-200, 1.4X TC, speedlight, OCFcord, CPL/ND filters and adapters, lenspen, spare batteries, and the bag. If I need to go heavy, the next bag will hold that plus a laptop, extra body, 15-85, 28mm, another speedlight, and a laptop and charger. That's 24 lbs. Not sure what the tripod weighs but it is carbon fiber and can't be over 2 lbs. I can add that to either.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links

4,301 views & 0 likes for this thread
Weighed your camera bag ? How heavy is your gear?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.