Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 May 2012 (Tuesday) 00:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I mean, what are the chances..

jser
281 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 29, 2012 15:19 |  #16

good job it wasn't a new lens

www.jrs-photography.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links
Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 29, 2012 15:47 |  #17

Snydremark wrote in post #14500491 (external link)
Strap that ^^^ to the front of the lens :D I'd be utterly flabbergasted if a paintball managed to damage the thick ass glass of the front element of one of those lenses.

As I would!

Lionel wrote in post #14501219 (external link)
You gave them a target, good shooting.

Well, I was shooting for a team, maybe the other didn't like me not shooting them :lol:

Mike Deep wrote in post #14501605 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'binary/octet-stream'

This little accessory isn't good for much, but this is one area where it helps. 30% viewfinder reduction is completely undesirable until your eye relief increases to several inches behind a paintball mask. Provides almost complete frame visibility on APS-C/H. Give it a try.

A good paintball mask is also a worthwhile investment. You want something that's comfortable, has a dual-pane thermal lens, minimal eye relief, and maximum safety. I wouldn't trust some masks to protect ears or even just stay on the face (Looking at you, E-vents).

Thanks for the tip, I think I'll give it a try!

jser wrote in post #14501621 (external link)
good job it wasn't a new lens

It's not you, it's worse! If the lens gets broken, I'm screwed. Canon doesn't service the lens anymore.

Hi, I'm David.

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 29, 2012 22:36 |  #18

Since you guys saw the "before", let me show some of the shots from that day!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Hi, I'm David.

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 29, 2012 22:41 |  #19

URLphotographer wrote in post #14499178 (external link)
I bet you they aimed for it:)

A photographer with a big fat white lens at paintball, too frickin right they aimed for it haha

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 30, 2012 01:12 |  #20

Heh! When you look at the second and the fourth photo, you can see how you the photog can get "splattered"! Good shots, though, as long as you can "resurrect" your gear!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

YamahaRob
571 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 30, 2012 01:26 |  #21

3rd pic down, guy in camo crouching. Now why the heck would you put a BRIGHT YELLOW hopper on the marker when you are in camo?:lol:

Only played paintball once. Ended up having more fun tagging the ref (who owned the field and a local gun shop. Cool guy though). One guy did get kicked out. It was a simulation type one "Serbs" vs "Bosnians" with the "UN". UN guys were NOT supposed to fire at anyone unless fired upon first. While walking the trail with the guy who was "UN" he shot one of the other guys point blank in the back. The other guys on the team had to hold him back from beating the hell out of the "UN" guy. I think I heard the guy was told to never come back period.

Rob
Nikon D300
Canon AE-1P (it becomes digital when pics are scanned in with a scanner:lol:)

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 30, 2012 05:30 |  #22

tonylong wrote in post #14504253 (external link)
Heh! When you look at the second and the fourth photo, you can see how you the photog can get "splattered"! Good shots, though, as long as you can "resurrect" your gear!!

Thanks Tony, I'll keep shooting ''as long as'' my gear allows me to do it :lol:

YamahaRob wrote in post #14504293 (external link)
3rd pic down, guy in camo crouching. Now why the heck would you put a BRIGHT YELLOW hopper on the marker when you are in camo?:lol:

Camo suits are for non-members, the people who rent their gear. They don't play with members. The yellow hopper is to difference the teams. There's also an orange hopper for the other team.

Hi, I'm David.

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,877 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

May 30, 2012 21:41 |  #23

David, that's a very nice set. Have you dropped by the paintball PhotoMOB yet?

L.J.G. wrote in post #14503715 (external link)
A photographer with a big fat white lens at paintball, too frickin right they aimed for it haha

In my experience, this does not happen. Most paintball players want to have their picture taken, whether they're a woods/scenario player or a tournament player. Sometimes you'll get shot at because the player failed to identify their target first. That happens more with less experienced players and on woodsball fields where there's no sideline. At D3 and above in tournament play, I've never had a player shoot at me.

The most common thing though is crossfire, and on speedball fields, bunker bounces. Dorito bunkers love to redirect paintballs at the sideline and don't slow them down much.

mikedeep.com (external link) - I shoot rocket launches and void warranties

YamahaRob
571 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 31, 2012 02:30 |  #24

Rivest wrote in post #14504734 (external link)
The yellow hopper is to difference the teams. There's also an orange hopper for the other team.

Never thought of that. :D Just looks funny. Just like a local cop who's backup weapon is nickel plated. Nothing says "I'm HERE" like the reflection of nickel plating. :lol:

Rob
Nikon D300
Canon AE-1P (it becomes digital when pics are scanned in with a scanner:lol:)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 31, 2012 22:14 |  #25

Just an observation....the lens is fine now. The paintball was softer than the front element. If you had put a "protective filter" on it, the paintball likely would have busted right through it and the resulting shards of glass would themselves be hard enough to do damage to the front element. I would think very carefully about this.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

gromeo
981 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 31, 2012 22:23 |  #26

Rivest wrote in post #14499696 (external link)
I know Canon isn't repairing this lens anymore, I didn't want a shattered front element... On my first time using the lens! :eek:

FWIW, on big lenses from canon and nikon there is protective glass before the 1st element. So the paint hit that glass not the front element.

Nikon D4 and 60 2.8D Micro, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G VRII, 200-400 VRII, SB800, SB600, Pocket Wizards, 4x WL-1600, Quantum Turbo 2x2, Sekonic 358 meter, TT AS, Takeoff, Belt System
http://rguzmanphoto.ph​otoshelter.com/ (external link)
http://www.romeoguzman​photography.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/rguzman (external link)

sponsored links

4,010 views & 0 likes for this thread
I mean, what are the chances..
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.