Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 May 2012 (Tuesday) 14:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5dc and motorolla xoom as storage device while travelling?

JiggyNS
258 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 29, 2012 14:27 |  #1

Hello,

I'm going to Europe in a couple of days and was wondering if anyone's tried using an Android tablet to act as storage device when connected to their 5D classic?
I know an OTG cable is required but I thought I'd ask before I went ahead and tried to fabricate one.

Thanks!

Canon 5D classic- Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 - Canon 17-40 F/4 L - Speedlite 580EX - Cactus v2

sponsored links
MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,654 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 29, 2012 14:34 |  #2

Fabricate a what?

Why not use a card reader? It's $9-11

http://www.google.com …Gf__m3Cg&ved=0C​LQBEPMCMAI (external link)

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,368 posts
Gallery: 352 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

May 29, 2012 14:46 |  #3

How much internal storage is on your tablet?

JiggyNS
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 29, 2012 21:03 |  #4

I already have a card reader and that's what I was hoping to plug into the tablet if plugging camera directly didn't work, but a regular USB cable doesn't work, it has to be the special OTG rated one that triggers the tablet to act as a storage device or something like that.

The tablet has 32gb, and another 32gb on a micro sd card.

Canon 5D classic- Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 - Canon 17-40 F/4 L - Speedlite 580EX - Cactus v2

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,368 posts
Gallery: 352 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

May 30, 2012 09:01 |  #5

I dont know how much you shoot on vacation, but if I were looking to offload off my CF cards I wouldnt want to clog the limited space on my tablet.

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 30, 2012 10:07 |  #6

I am still trying to get the USB mass storage to work on my Xoom but cannot get it to work.

I would not recommend a Xoom for that. Look at the Thosiba Thrive since it does have a Full size USB as well as a full size SD card reader. From that, you can hook up an external HD (something with external power since the tablet itself cannot power a HD) and move files to the HD from the SD card.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

JiggyNS
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 30, 2012 15:25 |  #7

RHChan84 wrote in post #14505741 (external link)
I am still trying to get the USB mass storage to work on my Xoom but cannot get it to work.

I would not recommend a Xoom for that. Look at the Thosiba Thrive since it does have a Full size USB as well as a full size SD card reader. From that, you can hook up an external HD (something with external power since the tablet itself cannot power a HD) and move files to the HD from the SD card.

Thanks for the tip. I was hoping to keep my gadgets to a minimum. Even the xoom is pushing it but I thought if I could use the xoom for in-flight entertainment and also as a storage space then I'd be willing to take it.

gonzogolf wrote in post #14505436 (external link)
I dont know how much you shoot on vacation, but if I were looking to offload off my CF cards I wouldnt want to clog the limited space on my tablet.

even 32gb would be enough for me so tablet's limited storage isn't an issue, just my couple of memory cards that total about 8 gb of storage. :)

sponsored links

1,406 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5dc and motorolla xoom as storage device while travelling?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.