Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 28 May 2012 (Monday) 10:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scott Kelby shoots Ice Hockey

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

May 29, 2012 21:51 |  #16

skelby wrote in post #14503392 (external link)
The wire service knew in advance that I had never shot a hockey game (I warned them up front) and they asked me to do it anyway since everyone has a first game of shooting every sport. I share all my experiences shooting on my blog, even the bad ones, as a learning tool, and you can see from the comments it was appreciated.

My question to you is: why would you spend your time on forums criticizing other photographers? Does it make you feel better about your own photography?

Oh yeah, by the way, I spend my time on forums giving advice because that's how I learned. I don't think I've ever criticized others work without giving a reason behind it. (If I have then accept my apologies).

There's no reason to tell people their photos look good if they don't. It does them no good.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

sponsored links
xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

May 29, 2012 22:25 |  #17

skelby wrote in post #14503392 (external link)
The wire service knew in advance that I had never shot a hockey game (I warned them up front) and they asked me to do it anyway since everyone has a first game of shooting every sport. I share all my experiences shooting on my blog, even the bad ones, as a learning tool, and you can see from the comments it was appreciated.

My question to you is: why would you spend your time on forums criticizing other photographers? Does it make you feel better about your own photography?

So I've been taking a look at your blog and see that the initial blog is just that and that you track your progress throughout the season.

Since reading that, I take back my comment because you clearly show steps you took to overcome that.

Perhaps you should link to the follow-ups in the initial post?

ajaffe
792 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 29, 2012 22:44 |  #18

skelby wrote in post #14503007 (external link)
Michael: It's always nice hearing from a pro like yourself.

Here's a link to my football portfolio:

http://portfolio.scott​kelby.com/gallery/foot​ball/ (external link)

Of course, it's no Robertsdale vs Fairhope JV football (nice shots by the way), but as you pointed out, I'm truly unprofessional. ;-)a

-Scott

You should be better than this. At your level of exposure and status within the industry, you should not stoop down to seeing who's is bigger on a forum. You are too good for that.

www.jaffe.photo

arich
401 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 29, 2012 22:54 |  #19

skelby wrote in post #14503374 (external link)
Nice Try Andrew. ;-)a

LOL!

-Scott

Thanks! Always glad to give constructive criticism and help people improve :D

http://andrew-richardson.net (external link)

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 29, 2012 23:05 |  #20

primoz wrote in post #14498803 (external link)
Maybe I'm missing something, but what's so special with all this?

xchangx wrote in post #14499731 (external link)
Exactly, in fact it just shows that he wasn't prepared and gave Southcreek a bunch of worthless images.

I thought the fact about the lighting in the arena is special... especially living in the city that has reportedly the darkest arena in the NHL (local PJ's words, not mine).

And not trying to defend Scott or his images here, but I thought reading about the experience was enlightening to me. I'm not a pro sports shooter but I would like to get there. If this doesn't help the pro shooters on the forum, then by all means skip the thread and blog post.

Joel

angryman
573 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2011

May 29, 2012 23:18 as a reply to  @ joeblack2022's post |  #21

Can someone fill me in on who this fella is? Is he a famous photographer? A legend?

You guys are acting like he's a god thats buggered up....but all i see is a mediocre photographer who's resorting to name calling and isn't real good at blogging.

I could Google him I guess, but i think he does enough of that himself

Angryman Photography & Design (external link)

contributor_M
341 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 29, 2012 23:27 |  #22

It's one thing not to like a fellow photogs work. It's another to point out ever flaw a person has made, it's also another thing to come off as arrogant in either displaying your work or reviewing the works of other (what one person may see as helpful, the other may not).

Regardless, everyone has a opinion. Stop taking this too seriously. If you do or don't like the photos it really won't matter, because there is someone with an opposite opinion as yourself.

And if a person is truly professional, critiques for or against a body of work should be all to common and brushed off anyway.

Adrian
Gear | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

May 30, 2012 08:05 |  #23

angryman wrote in post #14503898 (external link)
Can someone fill me in on who this fella is? Is he a famous photographer? A legend?

You guys are acting like he's a god thats buggered up....but all i see is a mediocre photographer who's resorting to name calling and isn't real good at blogging.

I could Google him I guess, but i think he does enough of that himself

I wouldn't say a god, but my main beef was the fact that he blog about something that didn't seem professional and acted like it was ok. However, since he blogged about his progress then I'm ok with that.

As for his photography, he's not the strongest sports photographer, but he does seem to have a good grasp on lighting.

skelby
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined May 2012

May 30, 2012 08:24 |  #24

xchangx wrote in post #14503257 (external link)
That's fine and dandy, and your portfolio is nice. Just not sure why you wold blog about being completely unprepared for a gig.

xchangx wrote in post #14505153 (external link)
I wouldn't say a god, but my main beef was the fact that he blog about something that didn't seem professional and acted like it was ok. However, since he blogged about his progress then I'm ok with that.

As for his photography, he's not the strongest sports photographer, but he does seem to have a good grasp on lighting.

I'm curious to know then, how you rate your own sports photography. I've had a number of folks look at your sports shots, and I've got their opinions, so I'm anxious to hear where you rate yours (though I think I have an idea based on your comments).

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

May 30, 2012 08:42 |  #25

skelby wrote in post #14505230 (external link)
I'm curious to know then, how you rate your own sports photography. I've had a number of folks look at your sports shots, and I've got their opinions, so I'm anxious to hear where you rate yours (though I think I have an idea based on your comments).

I would by no means call myself a good sports photographer, but I push myself to get better and better. I've only been doing this for around 2 1/2 years and I feel that I've made good strides getting to where I'm at.

But yeah, I shoot highschool stuff. So what? I make a decent amount of money from that. I shoot pro and college stuff as well. It's just that doesn't bring in the money that the local stuff brings in.

But, hey you're shooting NFL. You shooting for Zuma Press now since Southcreek went under?

skelby
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined May 2012

May 30, 2012 08:45 |  #26

xchangx wrote in post #14505330 (external link)
I would by no means call myself a good sports photographer....

Yet somehow you feel perfectly qualified to judge other's work in online forums.

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

May 30, 2012 08:47 |  #27

skelby wrote in post #14505350 (external link)
Yet somehow you feel perfectly qualified to judge other's work in online forums.

Why yes I do.

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

May 30, 2012 08:49 |  #28

skelby wrote in post #14505230 (external link)

Now that I've answered your question, let me throw it back to you.

How do you rate your own work?

arich
401 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 30, 2012 09:47 |  #29

skelby wrote in post #14505350 (external link)

So according to you you have to be a master at a craft before you can critique it? So you hate sports announcers and coaches who never actually played the game? If what makes a good sports photo are several technically quantifiable standards then you don't have to be able to make a good photo yourself to judge one. A good solid action shot isn't some self interpreted opinion on beauty and aesthetics, it's really quite simple:

1) is it in focus?
2) face?
3) ball (or applicable game accessory)
4) is there a "moment" (catch, play at home, action taking place, not stuff like warmups or standard pre-game)
5) is it cropped well? (no cut off limbs, random dead space etc.)
6) is your background clean?

If you've met those there's a good chance you have a decent sports shot. Don't be offended because people pointed out that you aren't the best sports shooter, take that critique and use it to grow. Your whole success has been built around teaching people, take a second to be a student instead of belittling others with your own assumed greatness.

http://andrew-richardson.net (external link)

kwill68
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2012

May 30, 2012 11:17 |  #30

It's a shame you guys resort to this. I just joined and you have a really good forum named "Sports Talk". I click on it and what's one of the first things I see? This. You know what sucks more. You're hammering a guy that has taught me personally WAY more about sports photography than it seems I'll learn here. His work and photography are what got me searching the web for more on sports.

For starters, the first 7-8 posts in this thread say pretty mean things about Scott. Who wouldn't come in and feel they have to say something. Especially when I look through most of your portfolios. When I compare the guys that are saying something like "Well lets be honest, Kelby isn't really the greatest photographer in the first place." against Scott's portfolio I have to tell ya - I'd take Scott's shots any day over theirs.

If Scott was upset (and I'd be upset too - I think we all would right?), it's probably because he has guys who's images aren't half as good as his, taking shots at him here. You're not (well most of you that is) critiquing here... you're not giving constructive advice... you're not teaching anything. This thread very quickly (read the first 10 posts) turned into a "bash-Scott" thread fast.
ARich - you're probably the worst of this. You wrote that nasty comment to start with. Out of the nowhere and not provoked by anything. Then you tell the guy to "take the critique and use it to grow" and "take a second to be a student instead". Really? Just because you wrote a list of your personal thoughts on his photos. After looking through your gallery I'm not sure you look qualified to give that critique. Looking at the two of your photos (scotts and yours), there's really no comparison on who's the better sports photographer and who should be giving advice.

And Im' sure you'll come back and tell me why I'm wrong. You seem to need to have the last word. Just let it die. Remember, you started this ARich with a nasty comment - not Scott.

sponsored links

10,206 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scott Kelby shoots Ice Hockey
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.