Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 29 May 2012 (Tuesday) 18:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PP workflow causing loss of quality?

russ71satellite
Goldmember
2,295 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2011

May 29, 2012 18:46 |  #1

I am having many problems with sharpness, clarity and focusing on outdoor portraits. I have posted two threads in the People forum on this site where others are trying to help me.

I am now wondering if my PP workflow is causing a degradation in image quality.

Here is what I've been doing:

Shooting with T2i in manual mode with Auto Focus turned on. I have also tried some manual focus. I have shot in RAW and in Jpeg.d

After shooting:
Download into DPP
1. Download from DPP to Picasa and/or Photobucket for editing, then posting onto this site.

My reasons for this workflow are that my DPP is very limited in what it can do and I find Picasa or Photobucket editors to be much easier to use.

Could this workflow be causing a degradation in quality?

See example:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1128.photobuck​et.com …ite/2012_05_26_​1514-1.jpg (external link)

Canon EOS 5D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, Yongnuo YN560II, Dynaphos strobe, 16 inch beauty dish, Vagabond mini.
https://www.facebook.c​om/Rj2photoconcepts1?r​ef=h (external link)
https://www.flickr.com …s/rj2_photoconc​epts/page1 (external link)flickr

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 29, 2012 18:48 |  #2

Photobucket is a known crusher of quality...

Having said that, your image looks just flat OOF to me. Her hand/ring down near the bottom of the frame is markedly sharper than her eyes.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 29, 2012 18:52 |  #3

You are right Jay, as you look down the shot the sharper it gets. As for Photobucket, loss of detail and sharpness was one reason I moved from it. I now only use it for crappy shots.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

russ71satellite
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,295 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 29, 2012 20:19 |  #4

thanks for the CC, any suggestions for an alternative to Photobucket? Without it, I have no way to post pics...

See also this shot I took a few minutes ago. Model was not cooperative, but please check it for focus, at least...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1128.photobuck​et.com …llite/2012_05_2​9_1705.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Canon EOS 5D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, Yongnuo YN560II, Dynaphos strobe, 16 inch beauty dish, Vagabond mini.

russ71satellite
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,295 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 29, 2012 20:21 |  #5

NOte: for the above pic, I had the camera in Standard setting, rather than portrait, and shot in Manual at 1/80, F7.1, ISO 400.

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 29, 2012 20:25 |  #6

Definitely better overall focus than the first one. As for where, many of us use Flickr. Many also say you get what you pay for with hosting. A pro flickr account is not expensive and it certainly seems better to me anyway and the free version gives you quite good value. Have you tried to download the latest DPP version? I was surprised to see it even has unsharp mask rather than the old simple sharpening slide. You can also drill down into the menu and adjust in camera sharpening, have you tried that? Just as a point of interest the first shot is very flattering to the lady, it is a great angle and she looks good in it.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

Drozz119
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 29, 2012 20:34 |  #7

russ71satellite wrote in post #14502980 (external link)
NOte: for the above pic, I had the camera in Standard setting, rather than portrait, and shot in Manual at 1/80, F7.1, ISO 400.

Definitely better focus. Although 1/80 is pushing it for portraits.. 1/100 or 1/125 is a little safer in case there is movement. Do you have a single AF point selected or all the points?

Whatever you do.. Don't use photobucket as an editor! Download a free photoshop trial or gimp.

ShoFilms (external link)
gear

russ71satellite
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,295 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 29, 2012 20:38 |  #8

Thanks, LJG...I have the camera set on L, the highest quality level. However, I did drill down into the menu and found that in Portrait mode, the sharpness was only one notch above the bottom setting, so I dialed it up quite a bit. Will try more test pics tomorrow. Thanks for this suggestion. I will look into Flickr and updated DPP also.

russ71satellite
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,295 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 29, 2012 20:40 |  #9

Drozz119 wrote in post #14503054 (external link)
Definitely better focus. Although 1/80 is pushing it for portraits.. 1/100 or 1/125 is a little safer in case there is movement. Do you have a single AF point selected or all the points?

Whatever you do.. Don't use photobucket as an editor! Download a free photoshop trial or gimp.

For the first pic, AF was set on center point. For the second pic, it was set on all points.

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Joined Feb 2004

May 29, 2012 22:48 |  #10

I don't know about their editing tools, but I've used Photobucket.com to host images for the forum without any problems for 5 years, but you have to read the FAQs & set up the parameters properly. From their support:

Before uploading your images to your Photobucket account, choose either a
display or file size that is equal to or larger than that of your images. You
can do this by clicking on the 'Uploading Options' link in your upload panel
and then on the radio button next to your preferred size. If an option is
grayed out, this means the option is not available for your Photobucket
account type. Selecting a size larger than your images will prevent further
resizing upon upload and help expedite the upload process. To make the changes
permanent, you must upload at least one image from the upload panel. This is
important for Pro users using FTP or anyone using the Windows XP Publisher. If
you choose to use the file size options, the file size of the original image
will take precedence over the the display size and any display size is
accepted as long as the file size is less than your choice in the 'Uploading
Options'.

If your mouse cursor becomes a (+) when you mouse over the image, then you need to access that larger image that you uploaded. I always click on the image to get the 100% size that I've uploaded, & then use that URL for display.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 29, 2012 23:41 |  #11

russ71satellite wrote in post #14503081 (external link)
For the first pic, AF was set on center point. For the second pic, it was set on all points.

Well, I'd say you have identified the problem(s)!

For a close portrait shot like this you need to use a single focus point, focus on the eyes and then don't "recompose". The outer focus points are for using this way!

This is especially critical when shooting in the vertical/portrait orientation -- if you use the center point like in your first shot, you either focus on the center of the subject, which is at a different "plane of focus" than the eyes, or you focus on the eyes then recompose which shifts your camera plane of focus. Either way, you end up with soft eyes and other features!

So, for the first shot choose the "top" AF point and focus on the eyes. Even if you need to do a bit of recomposing it will be minor so you can stay locked on the eyes.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,457 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 30, 2012 07:29 |  #12

Agreed. Focus point and DOF on the first one. I also agree with PhotosGuy. Been using photobucket for years and I get very crisp images from them.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 30, 2012 07:56 |  #13

The 1st shot seems that the hands and sand are the sharpest part of the image, so a focusing error somewhere.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 30, 2012 12:09 |  #14

russ71satellite wrote in post #14502571 (external link)
IAfter shooting:
Download into DPP
1. Download from DPP to Picasa and/or Photobucket for editing, then posting onto this site.

My reasons for this workflow are that my DPP is very limited in what it can do and I find Picasa or Photobucket editors to be much easier to use.

Something is definitely not right with your DPP. It should not be that limiting when comes to editing your RAW images. As Lloyd pointed out earlier, please update your DPP to the latest version (for free). I think it's version 3.11.11 or something. In DPP, you can do Contrast/Brightness, Levels, Curves, Saturation, etc. You want to do AS MUCH editing as possible in DPP, as opposed to do that in Picasa or Photobucket. When done editing in DPP, save as hi-res jpeg and upload to online photo hosting places like Photobucket, Flickr, or Picasa, to showcase your images.

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 30, 2012 12:11 |  #15

cfcRebel wrote in post #14506352 (external link)
Something is definitely not right with your DPP. It should not be that limiting when comes to editing your RAW images. As Lloyd pointed out earlier, please update your DPP to the latest version (for free). I think it's version 3.11.11 or something. In DPP, you can do Contrast/Brightness, Levels, Curves, Saturation, etc. You want to do AS MUCH editing as possible in DPP, as opposed to do that in Picasa or Photobucket. When done editing in DPP, save as hi-res jpeg and upload to online photo hosting places like Photobucket, Flickr, or Picasa, to showcase your images.

3.11.26 which strangely updates a version with a higher number. Weird.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links

9,449 views & 0 likes for this thread
PP workflow causing loss of quality?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.