Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 17 May 2012 (Thursday) 12:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Garden Eden

habakuk
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 17, 2012 12:55 |  #1

IMAGE: http://www.punctumsaliens.ch/habitat/pub/garden_eden_800.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.punctumsali​ens.ch …/pub/garden_ede​n_1200.jpg  (external link)

(click > zoom)

cheers
®

More on my BLOG (external link) ::: www.punctumgallery.ch (external link) ::: www.driftingaway.org (external link) ::: www.goodeye.ch (external link) | Creativity & perception workshops (external link)
Virtual Exhibitions:
Bauwelten Neufeldzubringer (external link) | Sternspuren (external link) | Anderswelt (Otherworld) (external link)

sponsored links
Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 17, 2012 14:24 |  #2

its a good shot but seems to be lacking that WOW factor that well makes people say wow thats a nice shot. idk whats lacking though not my normal type of photography

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 18, 2012 10:12 |  #3

i don't know, not up to your usual great shots

habakuk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 21, 2012 13:36 |  #4

Thank you kindly for your honest comments!

@Brian_R: right, the obvious wow-factor seems to be missing. However, personally I feel like the picture has a wow-factor, but it might not ring the bell for the broad audience.

To me, the factors that let me enjoy the scene is the reduction of complexity in the leaves while retaining the manyfold forms. The light is, in my eyes, pleasing and invites me to however around the scene. The metal fence adds a metaphoric level.

cheers
®

More on my BLOG (external link) ::: www.punctumgallery.ch (external link) ::: www.driftingaway.org (external link) ::: www.goodeye.ch (external link) | Creativity & perception workshops (external link)
Virtual Exhibitions:
Bauwelten Neufeldzubringer (external link) | Sternspuren (external link) | Anderswelt (Otherworld) (external link)

pitrow
209 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 23, 2012 13:26 |  #5

I like it. Seems maybe just a little dark but that might be my monitor. I'd frame it and hang it.

tmcman
Goldmember
4,409 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Apr 2007

May 29, 2012 12:30 |  #6

A real serious contrast between fence and garden.
the dark to light transition from top to bottom take the viewer over the fence to the inside.
the simplification of the plants highlights the simple contrast between fence and garden.
I like it a lot.

Comments, Questions, Observations Welcome
Fuji X-T2, 18-55mm, Gitzo 1541 w/ Markins M10 ballhead.
"Art always shows itself by doing much with few and simple things." Arthur Wesley Dow

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

May 29, 2012 15:03 |  #7

I like it.... but it sort of looks like a photo of an oil painting (at least on my laptop screen). Is it one of your favorite places? If so, that would explain why you love it. We have a few photos we love because they take us back to the place. They would be less impressive to anyone else, I think.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 30, 2012 12:12 |  #8

I'm not a fan of the style of introducing narrative here (via the title for those who missed it), because it doesn't feel like it results in a piece that does anything more (in terms of content) than allude or point to. That said, it's at least somewhat visually compelling as most of your pieces are.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

habakuk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 30, 2012 16:25 |  #9

Thanks much for your valuable feedback, all.

Of course, the simplification, that gives the scene a painterly mood, was added deliberately.

@Phoenixkh: no it's not a place that I know... I just happened to pass by and enjoyed the colors, the light and the way the fence adds metaphoric potential. There was too much detail in the shot so I decided to reduce them.

@Christopher Steven b: I know its a tough decision... in a forum, the postings require a title and that often gets way to much weight by the viewer!

cheers
®

Virtual Exhibitions:

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

May 30, 2012 17:47 |  #10

Habakuk,

I was unfamiliar with your work. My question was pretty ignorant. Sorry about that. I had a chance to look at some of your other work.... very creative, as I'm sure you're aware.

Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

habakuk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 31, 2012 15:42 |  #11

No need to apologize, Phoenixkh. I appreciate your comments. Of course you have a point that the way the photographer connects experience and memories with a photograph, will always be individual and cannot be transported in a picture. But even then, a picture might have the potential to do something very pleasant to a viewer, if it manages to resonate with his own experience and memories.

cheers
®

Virtual Exhibitions:

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 04, 2012 00:48 |  #12

rick_reno wrote in post #14450499 (external link)
i don't know, not up to your usual great shots

I like it a lot. I think it has a really nice "painterly" kind of look. I think that the colors work very well, and that the colorful organic shapes in the leaves provide a nice contrast against the straight black lines of the fence.

URLphotographer
143 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 04, 2012 05:38 |  #13

When I zoomed in, the background leaves almost seemed like they were painted on. I like it...nice simple image.:)

habakuk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 08, 2012 16:32 |  #14

Thanks much for your comments!

cheers
®

Virtual Exhibitions:

sponsored links

3,353 views & 0 likes for this thread
Garden Eden
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.