Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 May 2012 (Wednesday) 23:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma BIGMOS resurrected

Bad ­ Habit
Goldmember
2,102 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Apr 2011

May 30, 2012 23:36 |  #1

A couple of weeks ago I pulled the trigger on buying the Sigma 50-500mm ll. I had it sent to the office and tracked it all the way in. The day it was to be delivered, I brought my camera in so I could play around with it as soon as it arrived.

Well, the joy didn't last long. The lens was DOA, no HSM focusing at all. Took it home to make sure contacts were clean, etc. No good.

On another thread, I got advice to send it back to the seller and just get a new one. I debated that but in the end figured I could just as easily get another problem. I went ahead and sent it into Sigma service. I figured, they'd work it over and they would calibrate it during the process so it should be pretty good to go.

Pleasantly surprised with how quick the turn around was, although a little more communication as to the status would have been nice. As luck would have, it would have to sit for a few days before I could use it at all.

Tried it out at the zoo and am very happy with it, good practice for an upcoming Alaska river float/fish trip next month.

Anyway, while not exactly 1D or 5D and L glass sharp, not bad for a 60D.

500mm f8 640ISO (cropped ~15%)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Gray Wolf (external link) by JR Bad Habit (external link), on Flickr

500mm F10 1250ISO (cropped ~30%)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_5918 (external link) by JR Bad Habit (external link), on Flickr

450mm F8 1250ISO (cropped ~50%)
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_5944 (external link) by JR Bad Habit (external link), on Flickr

Thanks for looking and any c&c appreciated

JR

JR / flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Paxonator
520 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2010

May 30, 2012 23:42 |  #2

Pictures look great to me! Glad it worked out for you.

7D | 5DmII | 11-16 | 24-105 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 135 | 70-200 2.8 IS II | 100-400 | 500 f4 IS | 100 2.8 Macro | MP-E 65 | 580ex II | FB

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 31, 2012 00:13 |  #3

pretty good crops and there is a duck to boot.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 31, 2012 01:24 as a reply to  @ c2thew's post |  #4

those look great.

My Flickr (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,635 posts
Joined May 2003

May 31, 2012 08:18 |  #5

Look great, somewhere I have a 600mm mirror in EF mount. Hmmmm...

What is the critter in the 3rd picture?

Bad ­ Habit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,102 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 31, 2012 08:45 |  #6

Thanks all, as many have said on this forum, this is a great lens. You definitely know it's on the camera, and people do notice you:)

John from PA wrote in post #14510656 (external link)
What is the critter in the 3rd picture?

It's a Red Panda. He was tucked away in the tree pretty snuggly, but I was able to get a peak-a-boo shot of him. Even then still had to crop it down a lot to get the clutter down.

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 31, 2012 11:19 |  #7

Happy to hear the lens is back. And nice images too, really like the first one. I noticed the ISO on these is a bit high. Perhaps it was needed to keep the shutter speed up. But keep in mind that the Bismos is using Sigma's latest OS technology. What that means is, to capture static subjects like the above, the OS allows you to lower the ISO to keep the noise low and still get away with sharp subject. If the subject is constantly moving (such as bird inflight, dog speeding), then only bump up the ISO to get fast enough shutter speed to freeze the movement.

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

Bad ­ Habit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,102 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 01, 2012 01:15 |  #8

Thanks

yes, surprisingly the day was a bit overcast and there wasn't a lot of light (sort of strange for Seattle :-) )

Actually the OS did earn it's keep, the 1st shot was at 1/500 which would be considered right in line with the general rule of thumb. The second was 1/250 which would be pushing the 500mm, and the 3rd was at 1/60 which really shows how well it works. Considering the crop and it was already at 450mm, I'm pretty happy with it's performance.

Just have to use it a lot more to get a good feel for what the limits are.

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,802 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 01, 2012 01:26 |  #9

That duck looks so p*ss*d, I love the shot. I would love to have one of theses lens. Alas I've already spent my budget for the 1st half of this year. So maybe by October or so I can sneak something past the wife.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

URLphotographer
143 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 01, 2012 03:03 as a reply to  @ Thorrulz's post |  #10

That 2nd image is tack sharp!!! If you hadn't told anyone, I would've assumed it was from an L.:)

sponsored links

2,747 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma BIGMOS resurrected
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.