Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 27 May 2012 (Sunday) 14:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Heading to NYC for July 4th

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 27, 2012 14:30 |  #1

I am planning to be in NYC for July 4th, and I need help!!
My original goal was to be able to photography fireworks over the Statue Of Liberty. But I am not sure if that will be possible? Where would I go to do this?
If I cannot do that, I want to get in a spot to at least photograph the fireworks.
I know nothing about NYC, and don't know where to go!!! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
ItzSimplymike
637 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 28, 2012 02:09 |  #2

Take the #1 train to battery park and you'll be able to see Lady Liberty from there. Better get there early I'm sure it will be packed.

jmalonear
THREAD ­ STARTER
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 28, 2012 10:27 |  #3

ItzSimplymike wrote in post #14494287 (external link)
Take the #1 train to battery park and you'll be able to see Lady Liberty from there. Better get there early I'm sure it will be packed.

Thanks, but will this only get me a view of the Statue of Liberty? It is my understanding that fireworks are set off in the Hudson River, which is Northwest of Battery Park, While Lady Liberty is South of Battery Park. I am guessing at this point that I MIGHT NOT be able to photograph it and the fireworks. So I would rather find a good spot to photograph the fireworks that evening. Are you able to see fireworks from Battery Park?

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

dfdpiper
249 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2010
Location: Geographically I'm in Southern NH, but spiritually & creatively I'm still wandering.

May 28, 2012 10:54 |  #4

From Battery Park, you can see the entire harbor, including Liberty & Ellis Islands as well as the entrance to the Hudson River which will be on your right as you face the water. It is one of the most popular vantage points for seeing the fireworks and Lady Liberty together, except for Liberty State Park in Jersey City, NJ (behind Liberty Island as you look at it from NYC.) From there, you can see Liberty Island, Ellis Island, the harbor and the Manhattan Skyline included.

Like ItzSimplymike says, get there early. Stake out your spot & get comfortable as every place will be packed with folks doing the same thing you are.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Bob
If it isn't fun, why bother?
flickr (external link) http://www.bobpragoff.​com (external link)

jmalonear
THREAD ­ STARTER
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 28, 2012 14:06 |  #5

dfdpiper wrote in post #14495488 (external link)
From Battery Park, you can see the entire harbor, including Liberty & Ellis Islands as well as the entrance to the Hudson River which will be on your right as you face the water. It is one of the most popular vantage points for seeing the fireworks and Lady Liberty together, except for Liberty State Park in Jersey City, NJ (behind Liberty Island as you look at it from NYC.) From there, you can see Liberty Island, Ellis Island, the harbor and the Manhattan Skyline included.

Like ItzSimplymike says, get there early. Stake out your spot & get comfortable as every place will be packed with folks doing the same thing you are.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Thanks!!! I will get there on the afternoon of the 2nd, so gonna spend some time at Times Square, then I will have the 3rd for whatever, then the morning of the 4th I plan on getting up and heading to Battery Park, to get on a Ferry to go to Liberty Island. I figure I will do that then just stay at Battery Park until time for fireworks!!

Friends call me Jay!
Facebook (external link)

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

May 30, 2012 07:52 |  #6

wait a second. you guys aren't lower enough to see Lady Liberty and fireworks in the Hudson.

The July 4th Macy's Fireworks are shot off between 60th and 40th streets on the Hudson river side. Not on the East River any longer.

That means if you're in battery park, the statue of liberty will be behind you and you won't get her in the pictures.

If you want Lady Liberty, you'd need to go South in Jersey City and shoot North along the river. Or better yet, down onto the piers in Bayonne and shoot north. That would giv you the view your looking for.
https://maps.google.co​m …451&spn=0.04335​9,0.097761 (external link)

That would put the following into perspective I think;
Statue of Liberty
Freedom Tower
Empire State Building
Fireworks
and way in the distance would be the George Washington Bridge.

https://maps.google.co​m ….086646,0.19552​2&t=m&z=13 (external link)

If you look at the map, you'll see Battery Park is at the very lowest tip of Manhattan where the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel begins.
Ellis Island/Lady Liberty is South West of that spot behind you while the fireworks are shooting off North of you.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

jmalonear
THREAD ­ STARTER
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 30, 2012 09:31 |  #7

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #14505097 (external link)
wait a second. you guys aren't lower enough to see Lady Liberty and fireworks in the Hudson.

The July 4th Macy's Fireworks are shot off between 60th and 40th streets on the Hudson river side. Not on the East River any longer.

That means if you're in battery park, the statue of liberty will be behind you and you won't get her in the pictures.

If you want Lady Liberty, you'd need to go South in Jersey City and shoot North along the river. Or better yet, down onto the piers in Bayonne and shoot north. That would giv you the view your looking for.
https://maps.google.co​m …451&spn=0.04335​9,0.097761 (external link)

That would put the following into perspective I think;
Statue of Liberty
Freedom Tower
Empire State Building
Fireworks
and way in the distance would be the George Washington Bridge.

https://maps.google.co​m ….086646,0.19552​2&t=m&z=13 (external link)

If you look at the map, you'll see Battery Park is at the very lowest tip of Manhattan where the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel begins.
Ellis Island/Lady Liberty is South West of that spot behind you while the fireworks are shooting off North of you.

This is more what I kinda had in mind......will I be allowed onto the piers? I don't know what areas will allow access to view them.

Friends call me Jay!
Facebook (external link)

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 31, 2012 13:34 |  #8

More then likely you'll be able to get down by the park on the one pier in Bayonne, the one with the Anti-Terrorism monument.

jmalonear
THREAD ­ STARTER
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 31, 2012 13:56 |  #9

Thanks!!!

Friends call me Jay!
Facebook (external link)

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 01, 2012 07:46 |  #10

No problem.

Be forewarmed tho, it gets unbelievely crowded EARLY.
people stake out their spots mid-morning around brunch time and just hang out all day waiting.

There's also no bathroom facilities setup anywhere for this and most of the local stores/restaurants won't allow non-patrons in.

The 7/11 by the spot were were had a line out the door for hours.

jmalonear
THREAD ­ STARTER
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 01, 2012 10:40 |  #11

Was kinda afraid of that....lol The price you pay for the spot huh? lol

Friends call me Jay!
Facebook (external link)

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 01, 2012 15:24 |  #12

yeah.

Now, that being said, both years that they have been in Hudson, I've gone down to Weehawken, NJ to get pix.

year #1 I managed to get up on a parking garage roof top with a little persuassion.
Year #2 i stayed out on the street back on JFK blvd.

Both years were an absolute nightmare to leave when it was over tho.

jmalonear
THREAD ­ STARTER
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 01, 2012 17:07 |  #13

lol..now this is getting scary...lol My first time to experience New York....July 2-4 wondering if I made a mistake..lol

Friends call me Jay!
Facebook (external link)

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 02, 2012 20:45 |  #14

nah you'll be good. Plan with plenty of time to get around.

I went to Washington DC for the 4th. What a mistake. Horrible show and nearly 1 million people trying to get out of the national mall onto 4 rail lines. HOURS AND HOURS of waiting for the metro.

12Rock
622 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 02, 2012 21:05 |  #15

The trouble that it takes to get the pictures are not worth it . You need to arrive VERY early as many folks and families make this trip . Many from out of State. So you have your spot marked out , yet as the day turns into night and the time gets closer lots of late comers will try to encroach on your spot and rather aggressively. Some may have had many a drink which does not help matters . As someone mentioned bathrooms are rare if any indeed . Some spots are fenced off by the police (the better spots. If you are in these spots it's ok but if you need to leave for the bathroom or food , you may not get back to your spot family there or not . this is because everyone that wants the good spot all say that they were up front and just left to use the bathroom , so the answer is many times sorry pal. save yourself the headache ......trust someone that knows this event well ...not to mention carrying good equipt around

sponsored links

4,776 views & 0 likes for this thread
Heading to NYC for July 4th
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.