Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 26 May 2012 (Saturday) 00:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yosemite

EricL
692 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 26, 2012 00:43 |  #1

Can anyone suggest some lodging outside Yosemite? Needing a hotel room for 2 adults and 2 kids. I don't really want to drive a long ways but don't want to pay those high prices inside the park!!! Looking forward to doing some serious photography and hiking!! Thanks!!

[SIZE=2]:lol: EricL :lol:
farwhitenorth.com (external link)
My Gear

sponsored links
imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 26, 2012 00:56 |  #2

EricL wrote in post #14486378 (external link)
Can anyone suggest some lodging outside Yosemite? Needing a hotel room for 2 adults and 2 kids. I don't really want to drive a long ways but don't want to pay those high prices inside the park!!! Looking forward to doing some serious photography and hiking!! Thanks!!

whats a long drive? Motels and inns are about 45min to 1 hour out of the park. And 2+ hrs from the valley if you heading in from the north end. Popular areas include Oakhurst, Mariposa and Monolake/Lee Vining area. Sorry i dont have exact recommendations as i havnt been in them for awhile (i camp). Some of those Inns changes ownership every once in awhile, but they also fill up quick, so search early.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

Cali_PH
125 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 26, 2012 07:34 as a reply to  @ imjason's post |  #3

Same question as imjason, what's a long drive? Also, what's the budget per night, and does it have to be a hotel, or are you willing to rent a condo or semi-camp at all? What time of year (most places have much higher prices for the main tourist season).

Curry Village (external link) is inside the park and relatively cheap, if you're willing to stay in a fabric tent, and deal with shared bathrooms. They also have rooms, but I'm guessing those are outside your desired budget.

You can also rent condos & cabins inside Yosemite, but maybe 20 minutes away from the Valley, near the base of Glacier Point Road. Try HERE (external link) or HERE (external link). I'd guess there are more of them in that particular development you can rent from other sources too, or are private homes that are rented out by individuals.

You can go further out and probably get cheaper prices of course, but maybe one of these will fit the bill.

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 26, 2012 19:20 |  #4

also factor in the cost of gas, gas is not cheap near the park. Gas is easily $0.20-0.30 more per gallon than rest of CA. For example Lee Vining is about 75 miles from the Valley. These are mountain roads, so say youre getting only 20mpg, youre spending 7.5 gallons of gas round trip into the valley and that doesnt include driving around. if you spend 10 gallons a day driving, with gas near $5 in the park, thats about $50 a day just to drive. The cost of gas will only go up more if you visit Yosemite during popular days. the park will literally be stop and go.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

May 26, 2012 20:25 |  #5

When my wife and I need a weekend getaway, we either go to the Yosemite View Lodge (external link) on highway 140, the Yosemite Gateway Inn (external link) in Oakhurst or the Lakeview Lodge (external link) in Lee Vining..

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 03, 2012 16:03 |  #6

Hikin Mike wrote in post #14489451 (external link)
When my wife and I need a weekend getaway, we either go to the Yosemite View Lodge (external link) on highway 140, the Yosemite Gateway Inn (external link) in Oakhurst or the Lakeview Lodge (external link) in Lee Vining..

We stayed at Yosemite View Lodge in May '11 and found it to be an excellent base for the Valley. Hotel was a bit pricey, but it was clean, had an indoor pool and hottop and cheap but decent pizza.

madjack
Goldmember
1,593 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 03, 2012 16:13 as a reply to  @ viperbass's post |  #7

I have'nt been there in many years, but the Yosemite Gateway Inn was a nice enough place when I was there in the 90's. I believe back then it was Best Western operated.

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

www.pva.org (external link)

PerfectTan
440 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 03, 2012 16:21 as a reply to  @ madjack's post |  #8

We stayed atGroveland (external link) Hotel several years ago. Nice B&B with great breakfast(included).

My Gear: Do you really want to know?

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 03, 2012 17:43 as a reply to  @ PerfectTan's post |  #9

+1 on Yosemite View Lodge and the pizza for dinner. I've been there twice in the last year. Very easy access to the valley and nice rooms.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links

2,057 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yosemite
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.