Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 30 May 2012 (Wednesday) 12:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 120-300mm OS - suitable lens strap and backpack?

legoguy
20 posts
Joined May 2012

May 30, 2012 12:19 |  #1

Having been following the various threads on the new Sigma 120-300mm OS for the last few months (great site by the way, I'm amazed I've not stumbled across it before now), I took the plunge and sold my Canon 100-400mm and replaced it with the new Sigma 120-300mm OS. The thing is a beast, especially compared to the 100-400mm it replaced. Almost double the weight! Still hand holdable for aviation photography which is my main hobby.

Now that its arrived, it's also time to consider a new bag and whether a Lens strap will be required.

I currently have the Lowepro Mini Trekker which happily held my Canon 100-400mm, Canon 70-200mm F4 and several other odds and ends. The Sigma 120-300mm OS and my 7D just about fit in together however it is a bit of a tight squeeze and hence would like a slightly larger bag allowing more room and possibly allow the camera, lens, and a 1.4x extender to fit in snugly when all connected.

I was just wondering is any current Sigma 120-300mm owners have any advice? I'm currently looking at the Lowepro Flipside 400AW (or possibly the 500AW) as possible upgrades. It would be nice to have a bag which would hold the lens and camera together whilst also being small enough to use as hand luggage onboard aircraft. The 500AW is probably slightly to big to fit underneath an aircraft seat though.

Another issue that has arisen with this new 3kg beast of a lens is the use of a carry strap. My previous Canon 100-400mm and 7D were just fine with the basic camera straps, however now with the heavier lens, I feel it's time to begin using a shoulder sling strap connected to the Sigma's tripod mount.

Is there any recommended shoulder slings used by current photographers with larger lenses? The Black Rapids RS-7 seems a common choice however it's a bit pricey and the thought of using a little D ring connector with the tripod mount sounds a little risky as it means the entire weight of the camera and lens is held purely on the threads of the D ring.

Assuming the D ring connector is strong enough to hold the 4kg of lens and camera, then this seems pretty similar to the Black Rapids RS-7;

http://www.ebay.co.uk …Grips&hash=item​3a744ab85d (external link)

Would this be suitable for carrying the Sigma 120-300mm OS around for a while?

Lastly, any other tips for carryig or using the Sigma 120-300mm? As I'll be doing mostly aviation photography, I will not be using a monopod or tripod, as I can usually just set the lens into the backpack between aircraft movements if it gets a bit too heavy to hold.

Cheers,

Dave

sponsored links
Jay ­ T
463 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 31, 2012 08:49 |  #2

use the strap that came with the lens, it works like a sling. Thats what I do

1DX\ 5diii gripped \ tokina 12-24 f/4 /sigma 24-60 f2.8 \ \ sigma 120-300 OS \ sigma 50 f1.4 \ canon 500 f4 IS \ canon1.4 III tc \ canon 2xii tc \sigma 2x dg tc \ 580ex \ 2x 430ex flickr (external link)

legoguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 03, 2012 17:29 as a reply to  @ Jay T's post |  #3

The strap that came with the lens isn't as bad as I first thought although the shoulder padding could be a bit better.

I've opted to buy a D ring and carabiner (identical to the Black Rapids ConnectR-2 and FastenR-3) and will connect this via the Tripod mount screw purely as a fail safe - Even though the little metal bar in the tripod ring is designed to hold the wight of the lens via the strap, it looks a little flimsy, hence I'm making a backup connection. I'd rather be safer than sorry. Also tempted to buy a Crumpler Industry Disgrace strap for the shoulder padding.

I have yet to buy a bag however the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW seems like the best bet.

Jay ­ T
463 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 03, 2012 18:05 as a reply to  @ legoguy's post |  #4

I have the blackrapid r-7 and both rings but feel safer with the sigma strap. I have read on here that those rings brake. Ido use he black rapid strap with my lighter lens and use to use it on this lens but when I use a mono pod and gimbal the r-7 sucks because you have to take it off to mount the lens on the gimbal and then you have no strap unless you srew it into camera body and my cameras all have grips and if it should fall I think it might rip the grip right off. If you come up with a better solution let me know. I'm about to sew the sigma strap so it can't come apart.

1DX\ 5diii gripped \ tokina 12-24 f/4 /sigma 24-60 f2.8 \ \ sigma 120-300 OS \ sigma 50 f1.4 \ canon 500 f4 IS \ canon1.4 III tc \ canon 2xii tc \sigma 2x dg tc \ 580ex \ 2x 430ex flickr (external link)

legoguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 06, 2012 11:34 as a reply to  @ Jay T's post |  #5

This is my solution of providing a back up method of connection should the Black Rapids connection fail. A simple bit of paracord 550 threaded around the Sigma's Tripod mount tension bar (which is designed to hold the weight of the lens as it's where Sigma's own strap threads through) and attached to the D ring of the Black Rapids style ConnectR-2. So should the FastenR-3 connection method fail, or unscrew itself, the paracord will easily take the weight of the lens.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7214/7160243481_fea76c597d_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/22682700@N02/7​160243481/  (external link)
Sigma lens should sling strap backup connector (external link) by Aviation Dave (external link), on Flickr

Dave

MarkOrm
182 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 07, 2012 13:51 |  #6

legoguy wrote in post #14506397 (external link)
Having been following the various threads on the new Sigma 120-300mm OS for the last few months (great site by the way, I'm amazed I've not stumbled across it before now), I took the plunge and sold my Canon 100-400mm and replaced it with the new Sigma 120-300mm OS. The thing is a beast, especially compared to the 100-400mm it replaced. Almost double the weight! Still hand holdable for aviation photography which is my main hobby.

Now that its arrived, it's also time to consider a new bag and whether a Lens strap will be required.

I currently have the Lowepro Mini Trekker which happily held my Canon 100-400mm, Canon 70-200mm F4 and several other odds and ends. The Sigma 120-300mm OS and my 7D just about fit in together however it is a bit of a tight squeeze and hence would like a slightly larger bag allowing more room and possibly allow the camera, lens, and a 1.4x extender to fit in snugly when all connected.

Hi Dave - my passion is for wildlife but I'm in almost the same situation as you. I've recently moved from a 100-400 to a Sigma 120-300 OS - and I had a LowePro Minitrekker as well. I could fit the 7D & 120-300 OS with the hood reversed in it, but not with a TC.

I've moved to the LowePro Flipside 400AW and it fits the 7D with 120-300 OS, tripod collar with quick release plate and either a Sigma 1.4x or Sigma 2.0x TC attached, with the hood reversed. If you want to be able to have it ready to shoot (hood attatched the right way round) then you'll want something longer. I went with the Flipside not because of the funky loading feature - but because the back is incredibly well padded.

Its a bit tight though - at a push I can fit my 24-104, 100 2.8L macro & 10-22 in there as well so you should be OK with the 70-200 F4. However if I'm out shooting wildlife I just take the 7D with 120-300 & TC's.

Despite being heavier with the new Sigma I actually find the LowePro 400AW a lot comfier than the Mini Trekker (which was pretty comfy). In fact its the comfiest backpack I've tried (and I've tried a lot !)

IMAGE: http://www.cousin-jacks.co.uk/aw1.jpg

Its not that much bulkier a bag (if you have a look you can see a similar picture with Westie for scale when I was selling on my Mini Trekker) :

IMAGE: http://www.cousin-jacks.co.uk/aw2.jpg

I was just wondering is any current Sigma 120-300mm owners have any advice? I'm currently looking at the Lowepro Flipside 400AW (or possibly the 500AW) as possible upgrades. It would be nice to have a bag which would hold the lens and camera together whilst also being small enough to use as hand luggage onboard aircraft. The 500AW is probably slightly to big to fit underneath an aircraft seat though.

Another issue that has arisen with this new 3kg beast of a lens is the use of a carry strap. My previous Canon 100-400mm and 7D were just fine with the basic camera straps, however now with the heavier lens, I feel it's time to begin using a shoulder sling strap connected to the Sigma's tripod mount.

Is there any recommended shoulder slings used by current photographers with larger lenses? The Black Rapids RS-7 seems a common choice however it's a bit pricey and the thought of using a little D ring connector with the tripod mount sounds a little risky as it means the entire weight of the camera and lens is held purely on the threads of the D ring.

Assuming the D ring connector is strong enough to hold the 4kg of lens and camera, then this seems pretty similar to the Black Rapids RS-7;

http://www.ebay.co.uk …Grips&hash=item​3a744ab85d (external link)

Would this be suitable for carrying the Sigma 120-300mm OS around for a while?

Lastly, any other tips for carryig or using the Sigma 120-300mm? As I'll be doing mostly aviation photography, I will not be using a monopod or tripod, as I can usually just set the lens into the backpack between aircraft movements if it gets a bit too heavy to hold.

Cheers,

Dave

That's a nice solution - although I use a Kata reflex on the camera rather than the lens for walking around with the 120-300 slung on my shoulder. I normally boycott Kata due to their Israeli defence industry connections - but I made an exception. Comfiest camera strap in the world - even with a massive lens on it.

Anyway, thats the bag / strap combo that works for me.

"Peace in a world free from religion."

legoguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 07, 2012 18:37 as a reply to  @ MarkOrm's post |  #7

That was great Mark, thanks for adding the pictures too.

It pretty much confirms that the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW is the right bag for me. I'll likely be purchasing it in a few weeks time. I'm happy enough to carry the lens in the bag with the lens hood reversed so that's not an issue for me.

I'd quite like to fit the camera and lens into the bag together but additionally add a little padded cushion at the bottom just to act like a buffer when setting the bag down on the ground. At most, I'll have a 1.4x Sigma converter which is half the physical size of the x2 converter. Just from looking at the pictures of the Minitrekker and the Flpside 400 AW, the later looks very comfortable so I'm glad to hear it lives up to expectations in the comfort aspects.

Regarding your camera strap, do you not use a lens strap? I'm terrified even of the thought of letting the 3kg lens hang from the camera's lens mount.

At the minute I'm rejigging my back up strap for the R strap and looking to make it quick release. Will have to source some extra carabiners from somewhere.

Anyhow, thanks very much Mark for the reply, exactly what I was looking for. I hope this helps any other folks in the same situation.

Cheers,

Dave

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 08, 2012 00:30 |  #8

legoguy wrote in post #14539883 (external link)
This is my solution of providing a back up method of connection should the Black Rapids connection fail. A simple bit of paracord 550 threaded around the Sigma's Tripod mount tension bar (which is designed to hold the weight of the lens as it's where Sigma's own strap threads through) and attached to the D ring of the Black Rapids style ConnectR-2. So should the FastenR-3 connection method fail, or unscrew itself, the paracord will easily take the weight of the lens.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/22682700@N02/7​160243481/  (external link)
Sigma lens should sling strap backup connector (external link) by Aviation Dave (external link), on Flickr

Dave

That's VERY similar to what I do...

I use this plate on the 120-300 OS:
http://store.promediag​ear.com …Plate-3inch-Long_p_2.html (external link)

(it's a good fit for it, no need for the larger ones...it's very secure, sure not going anywhere!)

Then when carrying it around, screw the black rapid dealy-bopper (is that a word) into the bottom of that plate (the plate has holes in bottom to screw stuff into)....then...

I use one of these on one of the metal rings on the promediagear plate:

http://optechusa.com/u​tility-loop.html (external link)

Basically, as a safety, just like you do. I use one of those on the camera plate when I attach the black rapid dealy-bopper (lol) to the camera directly (ie when not using the big lens). Feel a lot better with the safety there, and it's much more convenient than un-doing the plate every time.

amanathia.zenfolio.com

MarkOrm
182 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 08, 2012 01:33 |  #9

legoguy wrote in post #14547017 (external link)
That was great Mark, thanks for adding the pictures too.

It pretty much confirms that the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW is the right bag for me. I'll likely be purchasing it in a few weeks time. I'm happy enough to carry the lens in the bag with the lens hood reversed so that's not an issue for me.

I'd quite like to fit the camera and lens into the bag together but additionally add a little padded cushion at the bottom just to act like a buffer when setting the bag down on the ground. At most, I'll have a 1.4x Sigma converter which is half the physical size of the x2 converter. Just from looking at the pictures of the Minitrekker and the Flpside 400 AW, the later looks very comfortable so I'm glad to hear it lives up to expectations in the comfort aspects.

Regarding your camera strap, do you not use a lens strap? I'm terrified even of the thought of letting the 3kg lens hang from the camera's lens mount.

At the minute I'm rejigging my back up strap for the R strap and looking to make it quick release. Will have to source some extra carabiners from somewhere.

Anyhow, thanks very much Mark for the reply, exactly what I was looking for. I hope this helps any other folks in the same situation.

Cheers,

Dave

You've got about an inch of padding under the bag due to the AW cover - you can probably see that in the photo - but you'll certainly have space for a bit of cushioning with the 1.4. Its all down to preference - I don't use a lens strap as I either use the lens with a beanbag, on the tripod with the 393 or handheld. The Kata strap is made of padded balistic material and I've no worries about it. It all comes down to personal preference. Its rare that the camera isn't supported - if I'm not shooting its in the bag if that makes sense.

There's a lot of hidden pockets in the 400 as well - both inside the main compartment and in the front.

"Peace in a world free from religion."

legoguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 08, 2012 11:41 |  #10

woos wrote in post #14548427 (external link)
That's VERY similar to what I do...

I use this plate on the 120-300 OS:
http://store.promediag​ear.com …Plate-3inch-Long_p_2.html (external link)

(it's a good fit for it, no need for the larger ones...it's very secure, sure not going anywhere!)

Then when carrying it around, screw the black rapid dealy-bopper (is that a word) into the bottom of that plate (the plate has holes in bottom to screw stuff into)....then...

I use one of these on one of the metal rings on the promediagear plate:

http://optechusa.com/u​tility-loop.html (external link)

Basically, as a safety, just like you do. I use one of those on the camera plate when I attach the black rapid dealy-bopper (lol) to the camera directly (ie when not using the big lens). Feel a lot better with the safety there, and it's much more convenient than un-doing the plate every time.

Lol Dealy-bopper! I take it this is what you mean? The FastenR-3 screw in plug?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

It feels so much better having some sort of back up attachment, especially with £3000 of equipment hanging off it!

Mark, thanks for the info regarding padding. I guess the rain cover underneath will help soften any impact to the bottom of the bag when setting it on the floor.

Dave

p.e.t.e.r
102 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 08, 2012 14:24 as a reply to  @ legoguy's post |  #11

hi i have the 120-300 and have been looking at backpacks also .i have been looking at thinktanks glass taxi ,seen soom reviews on youtube and it looks like it carrys plenty but i dont know if it might be a big for you.

eos 30d eos 50d sigma 17-50 f2.8 sigma 50-150 f2.8 sigma 120-300 2.8 sigma 1.4 ex
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/ghostdog1969/ (external link)

Honey ­ Monster
378 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 08, 2012 17:28 |  #12

A Tamrac Expedition 8x easily fits a 7D with 2x telecoverter plus 120-300 mounted (hood reversed) with some room to spare. I have only just got this bag so have carried it long distance. I believe it would fit the 7d with 120-300 mounted with hood in shooting position but haven't tried this yet. There is a lot of adjustment in the bag and plenty of space for other lenses and accessories plus a laptop. It is heavy with the 7D and 120-300 inside though. The 8x doesn't come with a built in cover although the fabric plus zips are claimed to have some degree of protection from rain. A separate rain cover can be purchased. I haven't tried the 7x which might also be big enough. I got the 8x because I could try it out in the shop while I couldn't find a Flipside 400 or 500. I could then be sure that my camera lens combo would fit and that the bag had enough adjustment to fit me (large build 6 foot plus). The Flipside 300 seemed much too small. The Tamrac costs about twice the cost of a Flipside 400 and about 20-25% more than the 500 at the moment and the rain cover costs extra.

legoguy
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 08, 2012 18:18 as a reply to  @ Honey Monster's post |  #13

The Think Tanks Glass Taxi and Tamrac Expedition 8x both look like interesting bags although the Glass Taxi lacks the 3 interior compartment whilst the Tamrac Expedition 8x looks huge! :)

For me, the ideal bag would be large enough for the 120-300mm OS lens as well as a few other bits and bobs, however be small enough to use as carry on luggage.

Cheers,

Dave

sponsored links

8,814 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 120-300mm OS - suitable lens strap and backpack?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.