Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Jun 2012 (Sunday) 18:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d vs 1d3

friz
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 03, 2012 18:38 |  #1

I have been shooting quite a bit of sports lately and have been contemplating a body specific for this. What is the general concensus about the AF system of the 7d vs the 1d3 when it comes to shooting sports?

Thanks in advance, Friz

sponsored links
Fodowsky
591 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 03, 2012 18:44 |  #2

I moved from a 7D to a 1d3 and my keeper rate went up significantly immediately. YMMV...

Gear and Feedback

friz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 03, 2012 20:37 |  #3

Fodowsky wrote in post #14526222 (external link)
I moved from a 7D to a 1d3 and my keeper rate went up significantly immediately. YMMV...

That's just what I was was wanting to know. The 7D and the 1D3 are coming together in price and going pro in this regard is not much more expensive.

Thanks,

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 03, 2012 20:46 |  #4

friz wrote in post #14526675 (external link)
That's just what I was was wanting to know. The 7D and the 1D3 are coming together in price and going pro in this regard is not much more expensive.

Thanks,

Going pro has nothing to do with the body you are using.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

friz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 03, 2012 21:17 |  #5

pyrojim wrote in post #14526710 (external link)
Going pro has nothing to do with the body you are using.

Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Some consider the 1D series to be the "pro" line. I know that the rest of the EOS line up is very good and can be used to make a living. My current line up is a 5D2 and a T2i. I consider the results from both of these bodies worthy of compensation.

friz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 03, 2012 21:35 |  #6

BTW is there a measureable difference in noise at high ISO that I should be worried about?

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 03, 2012 21:51 |  #7

I sold my 7D to upgrade to 1D MkIII. I shoot mainly birds and i found my keeper rate improves significantly. The 10fps is a great additional bonus too.

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,898 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 03, 2012 22:07 |  #8

Set up the 7D AF properly, and it will do great at sports. The 1D3 and 7D are pretty close in performance at ISO 6400, with a slight edge going to the 1D3.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

friz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 03, 2012 22:38 |  #9

Thanks Speed,
I have been shooting sports with either the 5D2 or the T2i and my keeper rate isn't bad, but this weekend I was shooting an indoor swim meet with the 5D2 and was set up for a great picture. There had been a problem with the timing equipment and the water had gone perfectly calm giving a perfect reflection. I got a good one of the swimmer on the block, the dive, the splash and was going for the first stroke, butterfly arms extended. Timed it perfectly. Missed the focus. I think I was struggling between keeping the composition and keeping the focus point on the swimmer. Now one thing I would miss is the full frame with 70-200 in the cramped confines of an indoor event. The range of field of view seems just about right. Oh well can have it all. Well I guess I could if I wanted to spend 3500.

Halliday
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 03, 2012 23:00 |  #10

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14527032 (external link)
Set up the 7D AF properly, and it will do great at sports. The 1D3 and 7D are pretty close in performance at ISO 6400, with a slight edge going to the 1D3.

What do you suggest for a setup for the AF? I'm interested in hearing what works for you. My 7D seems weird and I don't trust it.

lanceshuey.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
"Like a mechanic who forgets to wipe his hands on a shop rag and then goes home, hugs his wife, and gets a grease stain on her favorite sweater — love touches you, and marks you forever."

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 03, 2012 23:50 as a reply to  @ Halliday's post |  #11

also dont forget that with a 7d you SHOULD have better cropping ability.

for 7d AF my friends use af point expansion, and adjust the sensitivity of the AF speed according to what they are shooting.

My Flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,898 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 04, 2012 05:16 |  #12

jhayesvw wrote in post #14527411 (external link)
also dont forget that with a 7d you SHOULD have better cropping ability.

for 7d AF my friends use af point expansion, and adjust the sensitivity of the AF speed according to what they are shooting.

That is what I used as well for basketball and softball.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 04, 2012 06:38 |  #13

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14527032 (external link)

+1 :)

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links

2,423 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d vs 1d3
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.