Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 May 2012 (Wednesday) 14:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HDR: How? Why? Where? What are the benefits?

nyc2sd
368 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 30, 2012 22:58 |  #16

number six wrote in post #14507281 (external link)
Couldn't agree more!

-js

+1 here too

Canon 70D, 580EXII, 16-35mk 2.8IIL, 50 1.4, 70-200 F2.8 ISL
Webmaster at The Millionaire Car Club (external link) -
My FLICKR (external link)

sponsored links
crimsonblack
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 01, 2012 16:44 |  #17

The problem with HDR is that the "photographer" hate the way people over process the images. The realization is that the people we show or sell our product to does no crap about what an image should look like. They don't understand composition, colors, and anything else we might want to discuss. They just know what they like when they see it. Many non-photographers enjoy the slight overprocessed stuff. They like the over saturations or extreme detail and textures. It's eye catching.

I am not talking about an image so processed that the colors are blown to the extreme or we've got halos around everything. But the slightly over saturated colors people like. Based on the product I see by new photographers already shooting weddings only proves my point. People are happy with crap because they don't know any better. Over and under exposed images with to much contrast are being sold as "professional" every day.

| 7D Gripped | 28-135 f/3.5-4.6 | 50 f/1.8 || --- Sony F717 digital (infrared) --- Bunch of Film Stuff:- | Nikon & Nikkormat | 50/28/70-150/400 | B & J 4x5 large format | Mamiya C220 |
BurntEffects.com (external link)

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 01, 2012 16:55 as a reply to  @ crimsonblack's post |  #18

i don't like any editing for the images
i like them normal from the camera
i only use the software comes with the camera ( Digital Photo Professional ) and not all the time
this software is simple and easy
no HDR and no photoshop :cool:

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

teva
36 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 02, 2012 01:54 |  #19

i use hdr all the time when shooting interior. Just had a client two days ago, that wanted to show hotel room interior with outside view of the city in windows. Light outside was 1/200 F9 iso200, inside 1/5, no to mention 3500K inside and cloudy outside. That sceen took about 15 shots and quite some editing. I dont use casual HDR process, but rather convert raws in ACR and use enfuse on tifs, to blend them together. It gives natural look and corrrect exposure. Im never tired of looking at bell shaped histogram of hdrs :)

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 02, 2012 02:09 |  #20

Preeb wrote in post #14507257 (external link)
My biggest issue with HDR is the abuse of the process. Meaning those who take the process to extremes and end up with an image that looks like a late 60's album cover instead of a photograph. I don't really care one way or the other why they do it, sometime it looks good in a surrealistic fashion, but it needs to be tagged with a different name than just HDR....

I consider what number six with his photos above to be HDR. I believe the surrealistic, cartoonish look is actually considered tonemapping (very similar process but very different results).

I can't say I hate tonemapping as a whole. It works for some images and produces very cool results, but I've seen plenty of overcooked examples that don't look so hot (and have admittedly ended up with a few myself through experimenting with it).

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

spear
559 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 02, 2012 05:03 as a reply to  @ Veemac's post |  #21

HDR is just another tool to use to capture a higher dynamic range that your eyes can easily resolve, but alas even the latest camera technology can't even get close (although it is improving). An average eye can see about 24 f stops! Now even the best camera today can probably do only a third of that. By taking several photos at different speeds you can try and simulate what the human eye can do so easily. Some photographers hate this as they like the way a camera renders an image and prefer the limits of the non human eye from an artistic point of view, and more proof to that is the abundance of B&W photos in an era where color is available. While others love HDR because they believe a picture should try to show what the human eye sees. IMHO both are correct and neither should criticize the other ... and although people will take both to extremes that should just be seen as a different type of artistic expression and accept it for what it is. I personally prefer the natural HDR, especially for blown highlights in skies or sunsets.

Canon 40D, 5DII, 5DIII, G9,G11,S100,G1X, Canon lenses 600mmL f/4 ,24mm-105L f/4, 16-35L II f/2.8, 70-200L II f/2.8, EF 100mm f/2.8, EF 50 f/1.4,17-85 EFS, 10-22 EFS, 580 EX, 2x 580 EXII, 270EX,STE2, 1. 4x Converter, 2.0x Converter. Nikon 800E w/Nikkor 24-70

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,549 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 02, 2012 08:50 |  #22

OP, do not waste your time here.
Read first two at HDR forum here
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=130
Personally, I recommend Oloneo software, fast and clean.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,482 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 02, 2012 08:57 |  #23

moltengold wrote in post #14517793 (external link)
i don't like any editing for the images
i like them normal from the camera
i only use the software comes with the camera ( Digital Photo Professional ) and not all the time
this software is simple and easy
no HDR and no photoshop :cool:

+1!
Simple and easy is best.
No editing is best.
I keep the lens cap on at all times to prevent the camera from editing.
Pure black is beautful.

Elie / אלי

spear
559 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 03, 2012 01:24 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #24

Not editing a photo from a DSLR is just like accepting whatever processing that Walmart or Kmart give you during the film era. In a DSLR a camera decides a set of processing values to develop based on a perceived "best average" output. Now that doesn't always work out well because maybe there is a mix of different artificial lights and thus WB might be off, the shadows and highlights might also be off because of high contrast subjects and maybe the saturation used by the algo designer of the processing might be too much for your liking ... I could go on and on. With a DSLR you get to process the way you want the picture to come out, in essence your computer becomes the darkroom and where with film you needed a special lab and experienced technicians to get the output you want in a darkroom, with digital you have all the tools right on your computer without the cost and mess. Trust me that is very powerful stuff, and this is coming from someone that used to develop his own color film (trust me it is not easy).

Canon 40D, 5DII, 5DIII, G9,G11,S100,G1X, Canon lenses 600mmL f/4 ,24mm-105L f/4, 16-35L II f/2.8, 70-200L II f/2.8, EF 100mm f/2.8, EF 50 f/1.4,17-85 EFS, 10-22 EFS, 580 EX, 2x 580 EXII, 270EX,STE2, 1. 4x Converter, 2.0x Converter. Nikon 800E w/Nikkor 24-70

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,627 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 03, 2012 08:58 |  #25

Unfortunately, HDR became popular as a canned action from programs using (and rightly so) the RAW and giving the user some sliders to play with (I really don't know, in Darktable 3 RAWs are cooked into a DNG and then you can use and abuse the DNG to your heart's desire...). Been there... done that.

Recently, I stumbled upon a step by step HDR using JPG in GIMP (the Linux equivalent of PhotoShop). Now GIMP (in the version I am using) is a 8-bit editor, so I don't get the benefit of the RAW color depth, I've heard that the newer versions use 16 bit TIFF, but I am not ready for the upgrades.

Anyway, this method is described step-by-step here:

http://www.instructabl​es.com …otos-with-the-GIMP/#step1 (external link)

It is an easy process, very straightforward to duplicate in PS.

You can also use ONE JPG and darken/lighten it by 1-1.5 f-stops if you don't have a bracketed set of photos. Below I've done exactly this

Base photo

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i37.photobucket​.com …anon/IMG_5455gi​mpsooc.jpg (external link)

I created an HDR image using this method with 1 jpg

http://i37.photobucket​.com …55HDRContrastAd​justed.jpg (external link)

The SOOC improved as a single jpg (stretching the exposure etc)

http://i37.photobucket​.com …M/Canon/IMG_545​5g1024.jpg (external link)

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 03, 2012 09:08 |  #26

MakisM1 wrote in post #14524076 (external link)
You can also use ONE JPG and darken/lighten it by 1-1.5 f-stops if you don't have a bracketed set of photos. Below I've done exactly this

Machinery HDR is also very good at 1 photo HDR processing. I use it for single photos and if I know I'm shooting more than one photo to get HDR then I'll use Photomatix. But if you have a bunch of photos stored on the hard drive (and who doesn't) and want to experiment with one photo HDR then Machinery HDR is the way to go.

Machinery HDR (external link)

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,627 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 03, 2012 09:16 |  #27

The method that is described in the site I quoted is the guts of the HDR actions most of the canned programs use.

If you use it, you can see the exact contribution of each base photo (high medium and low exposure) and you can manipulate each contribution in minute and different ways.

Of course you can make a 'canned' action out of this, but you are loosing so much in the process.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 04, 2012 08:13 as a reply to  @ MakisM1's post |  #28

Machinery HDR - had a look at this and downloaded the demo, but as it was an .exe file I assume its not for a mac!

Gear List

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 04, 2012 08:22 |  #29

No Mac version yet that I'm aware of.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links

5,078 views & 0 likes for this thread
HDR: How? Why? Where? What are the benefits?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.