Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 04 Jun 2012 (Monday) 15:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Selling my photo for Sign Advertising...How Much?

beachbum2277
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 04, 2012 15:32 |  #1

A client emailed me today regarding one of my photos that they would like to use for a sign to lease one of their companies buildings. I'm not sure how much to charge for the use of my photo. The sign will be on Michigan Avenue in Chicago. The photo will be 7' x 10' and will only be used once total on this building and may be up for a period of 1 to 6 months.
What should I charge?

Bryan Docter Fine Art Photography - www.bd-photos.com (external link)

My Gear

sponsored links
pbisfun
231 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 04, 2012 16:02 |  #2

I wished I could answer your question, I have never been in that market, I know Licensing is not what it use to be, around her they are only paying 100 for license for a head shot for a book or business card. there are so many photographers giving there work a way it is really hard to make money in some markets.

the light is seen by all but not understood by all
http://photoSentimenta​l.com (external link)

beachbum2277
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 04, 2012 17:21 |  #3

Yeah, I'm trying to find that middle price where I'm not pricing myself out of the business but also not too low where I'm not making enough.

My Gear

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 04, 2012 17:27 |  #4

http://www.photographe​rsindex.com/price-calc.dbm (external link)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

beachbum2277
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 04, 2012 17:56 |  #5

Thanks for the link but those prices shown are for newspaper advertising. This will be covering the front windows of an office building that is for lease. Have any prices for that?

My Gear

beachbum2277
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 04, 2012 20:56 |  #6

Anyone else have any ideas as to what to charge?

My Gear

sorpa
410 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 04, 2012 22:21 |  #7

beachbum2277 wrote in post #14531181 (external link)
This will be covering the front windows of an office building that is for lease. Have any prices for that?

It looks like a big print.
Do your math accordingly. Here is an idea

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 04, 2012 22:24 |  #8

beachbum2277 wrote in post #14531181 (external link)
Thanks for the link but those prices shown are for newspaper advertising. This will be covering the front windows of an office building that is for lease. Have any prices for that?

Sorry about that...

Thought I clicked on "Billboard" as the media choice.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 05, 2012 02:11 |  #9

i would price it between five hundo and a G, depending on who the client was and how much I guessed was in their bank account

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

beachbum2277
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 05, 2012 11:38 |  #10

Thanks Jacob. Kind of the area I was thinking but who knows what the client will think.

My Gear

JessicaAutumn
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 05, 2012 15:37 as a reply to  @ beachbum2277's post |  #11

To price a bit tricky but I suggest you see your other competitors in your area and canvass about their price. In this way you will know if you have to go over the limits or not. You can ask a friend to do this for you also.

www.funpromotionalprod​ucts.com (external link)
Promotional Products Supplier – Personalized Executive Gift Items - Fun Promotional Products

pbisfun
231 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 06, 2012 09:51 |  #12

when pricing you have to look at the time it took to get the picture. not how long it took to push the button, Drive time, how long were you there to get that one shot they wanted, how long did it take to do the pp work. I charge 100 an hour, 25 for picture, and then the license. When I first started out I under priced not because I was trying to under cut every one I just never looked at what it took to get that one shot some one wanted. When you price it make sure they know what they are paying for. because if this is the first time buying a picture for them they may not understand. make sure you point out what they are paying for. you have a business just like them. you all so need to look at who is getting the printing done you or them and how much is that going to cost. the License is figured out by getting an estimate of how much the picture is going to help them make there money. if they are going to make 1 million on a contract to lease the building asking 1 grand is not a big issue for them. if they are going to make 10K on the contract 1k may seem like a lot. I would start out by finding what a building that size in that area goes for. you could get an idea by asking around telling people you are looking to rent space for a studio.

the light is seen by all but not understood by all
http://photoSentimenta​l.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,732 views & 0 likes for this thread
Selling my photo for Sign Advertising...How Much?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.