Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 02 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 22:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Duckling - post processing critique please

kristin6
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 02, 2012 22:00 |  #1

This is another image from the last week. I spent quite a while with this one in CS2. I'm trying to learn how to use the exposure and the shadow and highlight features. Before CS2 I only used Levels and Curves. I don't think I did curves at all on this image. After I brought it back into LR3, I added recovery and reduced the green and blue luminance a bit.

EDIT:
(For some reason the edited image (the top image) is reading a bit warmer in the browser than it does in LR. I'm still trying to understand how I need to manage color profiles when going between CS2 and LR3 which I think is what ends up causing the color shift on export from LR3. When I export to CS2 from LR, I choose the option to convert the color profile, then I save the tiff back to LR3 and export it from there as a JPG.)

Any suggestions?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 02, 2012 22:08 |  #2

like the 1st one

Diamond ­ Lil
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 04, 2012 19:20 |  #3

Kristin, is it safe to assume that the photo on top is the one you processed as described?

Wow do I have a lot to learn! The Chosen Spot, NY
50D, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM, EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM, EF-S 17-85 f4-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, EF 1.4X III Extender, Flight Brace (external link)

kristin6
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 04, 2012 21:20 |  #4

Diamond Lil wrote in post #14531558 (external link)
Kristin, is it safe to assume that the photo on top is the one you processed as described?

Yep, the top one is the processed image. :) What I get off of the card is nearly always washed out and dull looking.

Stephen ­ Stephen
Cream of the Crop
6,337 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 04, 2012 21:56 |  #5

Kristin I'm assuming that you shoot in RAW? Do you have your camera image settings like saturation and sharpness set to zero?

Also why exporting from LR to CS and back to LR? It seems like a lot of extra work.

Stephen
Feel free to check out my website
www.stephenjstephen.co​m (external link)

My Gear List

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 04, 2012 22:07 |  #6

To keep everything simple, set your camera to use sRGB. Then in your CS2 and Lr3, when converting the RAW, set them to use sRGB as well. Finally, when you are done with the PP and ready to save the image as jpeg for web display, In CS3/4/5 there is a menu option "Save for Web", and you will see a "Convert to sRGB" checkbox and "Embed color profile" checkbox. Make sure you check them both.

The images posted above, i saw some jpeg compression artifacts. One is about 100kb, the 2nd one is 83kb. Maybe that's why. I understand the forum rule when attaching an image, it must be < 150kb. What most of us do here is, we let some online gallery to host our images, then when we post here, we just embed the image to display here. So, open a Flickr or Photobucket account for free, and upload your higher resolution jpegs there. Then when you post, you just click the Insert Image icon from the toolbar to embed your images in your post.

Hope that helps. :)

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

kristin6
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 04, 2012 22:30 |  #7

Stephen Stephen wrote in post #14532216 (external link)
Kristin I'm assuming that you shoot in RAW? Do you have your camera image settings like saturation and sharpness set to zero?

Also why exporting from LR to CS and back to LR? It seems like a lot of extra work.

I do shoot in RAW exclusively. I use CS because I feel it is a stronger application than LR3 and my local printer/studio warned me off of any color management in LR. They have gobs and gobs of professional printing experience, so I trust their opinion on this. I imagine there are plenty of arguments on both sides of the fence and I don't want to start a LR vs CS sort of debate here. I also have more experience in CS and so am more comfortable manipulating images in CS than in light room. LR3's cloning tool really sucks in my opinion. I can accomplish cloning with much more ease and accuracy in CS2.

I'm not sure what you mean about the saturation settings on the camera. I shoot a 40D and see nothing in the manual about settings on camera that control these targets.

kristin6
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 04, 2012 22:31 |  #8

cfcRebel wrote in post #14532277 (external link)
To keep everything simple, set your camera to use sRGB. Then in your CS2 and Lr3, when converting the RAW, set them to use sRGB as well. Finally, when you are done with the PP and ready to save the image as jpeg for web display, In CS3/4/5 there is a menu option "Save for Web", and you will see a "Convert to sRGB" checkbox and "Embed color profile" checkbox. Make sure you check them both.

The images posted above, i saw some jpeg compression artifacts. One is about 100kb, the 2nd one is 83kb. Maybe that's why. I understand the forum rule when attaching an image, it must be < 150kb. What most of us do here is, we let some online gallery to host our images, then when we post here, we just embed the image to display here. So, open a Flickr or Photobucket account for free, and upload your higher resolution jpegs there. Then when you post, you just click the Insert Image icon from the toolbar to embed your images in your post.

I've been on webshots since the beginning of time and I am on Photo.net (though they are somewhat mean over there). I just don't always take the trouble of linking. Where are you seeing the artifacts in the image? I may be seeing a bit on the blue area of the water where I tried to knock down the shine. I have a 22" screen so maybe its not showing up as clearly on my monitor.

I will try that with the sRGB. Thanks!

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 05, 2012 00:09 |  #9

kristin6 wrote in post #14532359 (external link)
I do shoot in RAW exclusively.

I'm not sure what you mean about the saturation settings on the camera. I shoot a 40D and see nothing in the manual about settings on camera that control these targets.

you don't need to worry about the settings since you are shooting RAW. however, those settings will effect jpeg images and your image playback on your camera since those are jpegs also. the settings in question are under "picture style" and then a custom setting under that tab which opens shrpness saturation etc.

if you want your images to appear in your playback as they will when you first download your RAWs without edits then you should set your picture style to neutral. the images on the back of your camera aren't actually RAWs, but jpegs, so these settings will effect image playback.

--
flickr (external link)

kristin6
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 05, 2012 06:48 |  #10

BirdBoy wrote in post #14532681 (external link)
you don't need to worry about the settings since you are shooting RAW. however, those settings will effect jpeg images and your image playback on your camera since those are jpegs also. the settings in question are under "picture style" and then a custom setting under that tab which opens shrpness saturation etc.

if you want your images to appear in your playback as they will when you first download your RAWs without edits then you should set your picture style to neutral. the images on the back of your camera aren't actually RAWs, but jpegs, so these settings will effect image playback.

Thanks. I don't really use the playback for much other than checking the histogram. I was currently set to landscape for some bizarre reason. I probably shifted it accidentally with the back button.

When I talk about the images coming off the camera looking dull, I'm speaking of the second image in my post above. That image is not edited, and that is the quality I get with most images. The only difference is that this one was a bit bright due to the challenging exposure situation that day (bright full sun on water).

kristin6
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 05, 2012 07:18 |  #11

cfcRebel wrote in post #14532277 (external link)

I was set to sRGB everywhere but on the export to CS2 which was set to Pro Photo (huh?). I'm not sure why that was. I changed that and then saved the edited copy again from CS2 instead of exporting from LR3. I'm reminded of why I stopped doing this. These two sites have a limit on the size images can be viewed at. Notice how the color temp changes on these based on what website I put them on. I'm surprised that the Photo.net image is so different.

Exported from LR3:

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Saved from CS2 (posted from Photo.net for your pleasure :) )
IMAGE: http://gallery.photo.net/photo/15860472-lg.jpg

This one is from webshots:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

sponsored links

2,123 views & 0 likes for this thread
Duckling - post processing critique please
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.