Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 May 2012 (Tuesday) 11:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series speed challenge #382 - SIGNS OF SPRING

Fenka856
68 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 05, 2012 06:26 |  #31

Thanks for the comment. I literally was just playing around with the G12 because I just got it at that time. No excuses though lol. I'll be ready for the next one. This is fun.

Canon 350d / Tokina 11-16mm / 28-135mm 3.5 IS / 100-300mm f3.5-5.0 / *NEW* Canon Powershot G12 / 430 ex II /Canon 40mm 2.8 / Canon 85mm 1.8

sponsored links
Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 05, 2012 08:13 |  #32

I wanna say one more thing...

Is it just me...or does everyone else experience little gusts of wind when you start pointing a camera at a flower? There I am whistling a happy tune, enjoying yet another wonderful day on Earth, and I spy a pretty little flower. Me thinks, "Hey, what a wonderful little flower, I think I'll take out my camera and take a picture of it." So I reach into the bag, remove the camera, turn it one, all the while taking side glances of my subject to consider different perspectives, get the settings basically straight, remove my sunglasses for a better look-see, bend down and bring the flower into view, fine tune the shutter speed and aperture and when I'm just about to squeeze the trigger, a gust of wind kicks up, knocking the flower to hell and back and never stopping until I've moved on in disgust.

What's that about ?!

kevan's lens (external link)

teekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,860 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jun 05, 2012 10:31 |  #33

Kevan wrote in post #14533656 (external link)
.....Is it just me...or does everyone else experience little gusts of wind when you start pointing a camera at a flower? ....

Definitely not just you, Kevan. I realized quite a while ago that most flowers and leaves move most of the time and need fast shutter speeds - I think they get nervous. On occasion, though, I have got the upper hand by taking one indoors and clamping its stem in something.

BTW, in case you're getting fed up with judging, try putting a scratched, fingerprinted, cheap filter on your camera before shooting - it may be the only way ;)

teekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,860 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jun 05, 2012 10:44 as a reply to  @ teekay's post |  #34

Maureen Souza wrote in post #14532479 (external link)
I did have some cool spring robin shots... too bad they weren't taken with my Pro 1 :smile:

Great shots - you must do a great job of impersonating a mother robin!

You comment brings up a good point, though - we don't have a weekly POTN challenge open to ALL Canon cameras, and I think we should.

I've been entering the G-series challenges for years, and more recently the weekly EOS one since I got a 60D, but most of my best photos were taken, and continue to be taken, using other Canon cameras - everything from the A95 to various S-series and currently my favourite SX40.

So how about a new challenge in the Competitions forum, identical rules to the DSLR and G-series weeklies, but open to ALL Canon cameras? That way we should always see more entries than the very small number that many of the current challenges produce.

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 05, 2012 11:35 |  #35

teekay wrote in post #14534347 (external link)
...So how about a new challenge in the Competitions forum, identical rules to the DSLR and G-series weeklies, but open to ALL Canon cameras? That way we should always see more entries than the very small number that many of the current challenges produce.

I certainly think there's some merit in doing just that. I had similar thoughts about allowing the G's to participate in the macro challenges, so as to improve the image count there. I do appreciate the macro features of the G and a dslr are different, so I'm not sure the idea would be well-received.

In an open challenge, the G's might get out-gunned by their bigger brothers, but you never know..it should all come down to the better image, not what shot it.

I'm not a big fan of those open vote challenges, but prefer leaving it up to a single judge to determine the results.

You might find this interesting, I'm joining a community photography club and in their competitions they invite a photographer, outside of the membership ,with typically professional credentials, to act as judge. The images are presented without title, name, or exif detail. The judge views and critiques the image with us the participants watching, though remaining silent (though there's tons of mumbling. LOL!). A number score is given to the image in the range of the 70's up to and including a 100. The judge assigns a shown image a number they feel is appropriate to the image itself. There sometimes dozens of images (persons can enter more than one), so in the end the judge typically has no idea what image has been given the highest number until the numbers have been tallied.

I don't see this approach necessarily working on the forum, but I do think letting the image stand on its own merit, without detail, is the best way to go. Problem here of course is the person's name is associated to the image which might hold sway. I wonder if there's a way where everyone can deposit there image in a repository, where when finally shown no one knows the ownership, or anything else. Hmm?

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,888 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 05, 2012 12:36 |  #36

Thank-you, Linda :):):)

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Maureen ­ Souza
32,888 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 05, 2012 12:41 |  #37

Kevan wrote in post #14533656 (external link)
I wanna say one more thing...

Is it just me...or does everyone else experience little gusts of wind when you start pointing a camera at a flower? There I am whistling a happy tune, enjoying yet another wonderful day on Earth, and I spy a pretty little flower. Me thinks, "Hey, what a wonderful little flower, I think I'll take out my camera and take a picture of it." So I reach into the bag, remove the camera, turn it one, all the while taking side glances of my subject to consider different perspectives, get the settings basically straight, remove my sunglasses for a better look-see, bend down and bring the flower into view, fine tune the shutter speed and aperture and when I'm just about to squeeze the trigger, a gust of wind kicks up, knocking the flower to hell and back and never stopping until I've moved on in disgust.

What's that about ?!

Murphy's Law of the Universe. Get over it ;) LOL!

5DMK4
7DMK2

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 05, 2012 13:10 |  #38

If only I could use a pin on your avatar right now!

Gil ­ Bean
515 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 05, 2012 13:10 as a reply to  @ post 14533219 |  #39

Congrats to the winners and I enjoyed all the entries. Teekay, it was a windy day and my shutter speed was too slow. I really did not like the entry after I posted it but do not know if it is "legal" to delete an entry and use a different one. Anyway, thanks for your comment and a great challenge!

I am not opposed to an open challenge but think we should keep the G series challenge. A case in point is the photo where the goslings were lost. A dslr with the right lens could have brought the geese up close and personal. A G simply cannot compete with a dslr on that level.

Gil Bean

G3, G6, G12, T2i + kit lens & accoutrements

teekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,860 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jun 05, 2012 13:37 |  #40

Gil Bean wrote in post #14534989 (external link)
.... I really did not like the entry after I posted it but do not know if it is "legal" to delete an entry and use a different one...

Definitely legal!

>....I am not opposed to an open challenge but think we should keep the G series challenge.....

Agreed.

>... case in point is the photo where the goslings were lost.... A dslr with the right lens could have brought the geese up close and personal. A G simply cannot compete with a dslr on that level....

Maybe not a G (without getting wet) , but an SX40 would have done the job!

Gil Bean

Gil ­ Bean
515 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 05, 2012 13:40 |  #41

Thanks Teekay. Loved your challenge, Glad I was not the judge! :D

teekay wrote in post #14535112 (external link)
Definitely legal!

>....I am not opposed to an open challenge but think we should keep the G series challenge.....

Agreed.

>... case in point is the photo where the goslings were lost.... A dslr with the right lens could have brought the geese up close and personal. A G simply cannot compete with a dslr on that level....

Maybe not a G (without getting wet) , but an SX40 would have done the job!

Gil Bean

G3, G6, G12, T2i + kit lens & accoutrements

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,528 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 05, 2012 14:23 |  #42

Kevan wrote in post #14534986 (external link)

ROFLMAO!!

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

Maureen ­ Souza
32,888 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 05, 2012 15:13 |  #43

Kevan wrote in post #14534986 (external link)

Neener, neener......:lol::lol:

5DMK4
7DMK2

teekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,860 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jun 05, 2012 18:34 |  #44

Kevan wrote in post #14534551 (external link)
>...In an open challenge, the G's might get out-gunned by their bigger brothers, but you never know..it should all come down to the better image, not what shot it....

For web purposes and sizes I think what's behind the camera matters most. I've seen many images in the small compact and G-forums that are better than many posted in the EOS forums. For example, take a look at this site by Don Ellis, who shoots mainly with G-series and was a frequent winner on the G-series challenges back in the day.

http://www.kleptograph​y.com/index.htm (external link)

I'm not a big fan of those open vote challenges, but prefer leaving it up to a single judge to determine the results.

Neither am I, and it's one reason I don't enter the "small compact" challenges, which don't usually seem to attract many entries anyway, considering the number of P&S cameras out there.

....I'm joining a community photography club and in their competitions they invite a photographer, outside of the membership ,with typically professional credentials, to act as judge.....

Sounds fine but maybe a tad too complicated for the forums, I agree. The thing is that the current challenge format and rules, as refined occasionally, have worked fine for years, but now with a much wider variety of very capable cameras in all categories, I think we might try an "ALL cameras" weekly one to bump up volume.

Maureen, since you enter challenges regularly on both the G-series and EOS forums, not to mention being in the exalted position of moderator, your expert input on this would be welcomed!

Maureen ­ Souza
32,888 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 05, 2012 18:49 |  #45

I have been thinking it over and I think there is room for both. I like keeping the G Series as is....we have a great group of regulars but it would also be fun to add an Any Camera Goes challenge as well.

Anyone is welcome to start a new Challenge.... it doesn't have to be a Mod. The first one who jumps in gets to make the rules :) I am thinking it needs to be posted in the Competitions Forum.

5DMK4
7DMK2

sponsored links

6,792 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series speed challenge #382 - SIGNS OF SPRING
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.