Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 21 Aug 2010 (Saturday) 12:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wind noise...how to stop it.

JaimeG
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 21, 2010 12:05 |  #1

I have an SD880, which I like a lot, but whenever I shot video with it and it's windy out, it picks up every little gust. What can I do to end this? Thanks.

sponsored links
mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 21, 2010 12:08 |  #2

Turn off the microphone. Detach the audio in post.

This space for rent.

JaimeG
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 21, 2010 12:11 |  #3

If I do that, I'll lose all sound. I just want to lose the wind.

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 21, 2010 12:14 as a reply to  @ mattograph's post |  #4

Typically you put a windscreen over your mic, but that's kind of hard to do with a P&S. Find some way to shield your camera from the wind or record the audio separately.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

JaimeG
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 21, 2010 12:16 |  #5

What are windscreens made of? Is there some fabric or foam that works the same way, and I can find around the house?

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 21, 2010 12:20 |  #6

Buy a zoom H1 (or H4n) and sync the audio in post using dual eyes.

I have a redhead for my H4n which also helps. http://www.redheadwind​screens.com/ (external link)

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

JaimeG
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 21, 2010 12:24 |  #7

diputs wrote in post #10762285 (external link)
Buy a zoom H1 (or H4n) and sync the audio in post using dual eyes.

I have a redhead for my H4n which also helps. http://www.redheadwind​screens.com/ (external link)

Those are pricey. In that case I'd rather just buy a new camera with a better mic.

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 21, 2010 12:32 |  #8

JaimeG wrote in post #10762297 (external link)
Those are pricey. In that case I'd rather just buy a new camera with a better mic.

A camera "with a better mic" is somewhat akin to a camera "with a better pop up flash". Your expectations will quickly surpass the capabilities of the hardware. If you want to record good audio live, you have to start recording with external mics.

This space for rent.

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 21, 2010 12:58 |  #9

JaimeG wrote in post #10762275 (external link)
What are windscreens made of? Is there some fabric or foam that works the same way, and I can find around the house?

http://www.google.com …N&tab=wi&biw=13​11&bih=809 (external link)

You may be able to stick a little foam over your camera mic to prevent some of the wind noise.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 24, 2010 07:43 |  #10

JaimeG wrote in post #10762237 (external link)
I have an SD880, which I like a lot, but whenever I shot video with it and it's windy out, it picks up every little gust. What can I do to end this? Thanks.

"Dead cat" if you have an externak microphone.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

brh986
74 posts
Joined Jun 2002

Aug 24, 2010 08:12 |  #11

cover your mike with fuzz. Got an old fake synthetic fur carpet or something? Use a little piece of that. The more wind the more "fuzz" you need.

sandbank
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 05, 2012 05:37 |  #12

I find placing your finger over the small microphone aperture is good enough to keep most wind noise out without killing all the sound. I have also tried BluTack with varying success.

MarKap77
806 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 05, 2012 08:32 |  #13

JaimeG,

The short answer is you can't get good audio in a camera such as yours. Pretty much can't get good audio in a DSLR for that matter. The microphones just aren't up to the task. The solution to your problem, in ascending order (and probably a lot of things left out)

• glue something over the mic holes on your camera. Result: very slight improvement
  • (if your camera has an external mic jack) get an external mic and plug it into your camera. Result: so-so improvement.
  • Get an external recorder such as a Zoom H1 that has mics and record on that then sync audio in post production. Result: Good audio
  • As in previous suggestion, buy external recorder such as Zoom H1 AND a seperate mic and record on dedicated recorder, sync in post. Result: Best audo

In any case, you will need a wind guard of some sort on your microphone to eliminate wind noise. The only way to do that is to purchase something like the Redhead already noted (I have one and it is as amazing as it is portrayed in their ads) or some other cover for the mic that you use.

From your post #7 where you state that the Redhead is kind of pricey ($35USD), welcome to the world of audio/video production. It ain't cheap! While your SD880 will record video and audio, it is one of the worst ways in which to do so. Improvements over your current level of equipment will only come with an investment of some cash into equipment. Sorry, but that is just the way it is.

Hope all this helps. Good luck.

Mark
My Gear List

"I don't travel to get to work, travel IS my work!

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jun 06, 2012 01:37 |  #14

I know nothing about audio, but when I want to talk on my cellphone and it's windy outside I put the lower part of the phone into a hat, a glove and once a woolen sock (people stared)

I find "windproof" fleeces work best for blocking the wind. It works ok for voice at 300-3000hz but I imagine would wreak havoc to sound if you wanted to record a fuller range.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

sponsored links

10,507 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wind noise...how to stop it.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.