Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 08:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why are "Leica" camera so expensive?

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
37,067 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jun 05, 2012 13:56 |  #31

mrgooch wrote in post #14535061 (external link)
Remember that Leica became famous in the 30's through the 50's. Rangefinder's ruled no SLR's yet

Again its a very different shooting experience than you get with a DSLR. There are real reasons why many of the great street shooters shot and still shoot with rangefinders and prefer them to DSLRs and SLRs.

sponsored links
kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,951 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 05, 2012 14:26 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #32

I have two film RF and waiting for third one.
I want digital RF camera, would sell my 5Dc for it and most of EF lenses, but Leica is the only one who makes them now.
So the only reason why Leica is bloody expensive is obviously simple.
It is monopoly. Monopoly=high_price.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

airfrogusmc
37,067 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 05, 2012 15:02 |  #33

kf095 wrote in post #14535303 (external link)
I have two film RF and waiting for third one.
I want digital RF camera, would sell my 5Dc for it and most of EF lenses, but Leica is the only one who makes them now.
So the only reason why Leica is bloody expensive is obviously simple.
It is monopoly. Monopoly=high_price.

Leica M used to be 3 times more than the top of the line pro Nikon and Canon cameras. Now they're about even....

At the time Canon F-1s were $500 the Leica M was $1500. So I would say the real increase is in the Nikons and Canons. over the years.

Chadowe
22 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 05, 2012 15:06 as a reply to  @ kf095's post |  #34

Q: Why are "Leica" camera so expensive?
A: Because enough people buy them.

Personally, I think they are nuts. Then again, I know there are people who think I'm nuts for buying the equipment I use. We all perceive value, based on our own personal traits, conditions and beliefs. Now if you will excuse me, I cant find my WATCH. (external link)

"Money! It's gotta be the shoes right?"
Canon: 5D3 w/Grip, 7D, 1D3, EF17-40L, EF24-70L, EF70-200/2.8ISL, EF100-400L, Nifty 50 - Zeiss: 35/2
"No Mars."

airfrogusmc
37,067 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 05, 2012 15:19 |  #35

Like I said most people that are on a Canon forum that like all the stuff on their won't get Leica and that cool because most photographers that choose Leica do it for very different reason those that choose Canon do so. Like I said great to have choices.

One thing is even Leica digital M holds its resale value much better than anything Canon or Nikon produce.

ryanshoots
344 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 05, 2012 15:21 |  #36

joedlh wrote in post #14534539 (external link)
Snob appeal. Pure and simple.

When was the last time you saw an iconic photograph in a medium known for excellence that was shot on a Leica and which could not have been duplicated on a Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony, etc.?

Some people appreciate specialty items. Look at the Leica lenses. There is a nice youtube video showing the craftsmanship. A smaller camera has appeal for some, etc.

Snob appeal? For some sure, but that's not the only thing and not the reason for many. Some people can't appreciate something that's more expensive if there exists something that will do the same or close to the same job for less. To them the utility is the same, so why pay more. For others, it's the journey not the destination.

To your iconic photograph analogy...

When was the last time you saw someone on a sh!tfaced drunk from Dom Perignon which could not have been duplicated on Boone's, Mad Dog, or Night Train?

On a more serious note, a rangefinder can make certain photos easier because you essentially have a viewfinder that shows more than 100 percent of the frame. Not seeing the additional view, could make it hard to achieve some shots on a camera with a 100% or worse yet a 95% view finder.

Lot's of talented photographers still shoot Leica. Folks at Magnum and other top agencies, who could obviously shoot what they want.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,828 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 05, 2012 15:46 |  #37

Remember that Leica became famous in the 30's through the 50's. Rangefinder's ruled no SLR's yet

I still have a Kodak Retina III "large C", the last of the Kodak rangefinder folders made. I also have a full complement of lenses. At the time it was considered decent competition to the Leica. The interesting thing is it still works and about two years ago I entered an image (just for kicks) into a contest where you didn't need to specify the equipment used. The judges were amazed at the sharpness and detail; one initial comment was I must have spent considerable time in Photoshop. The crazy thing was it was Fuji ASA 200 film developed by the local CVS and made into a CD!

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,923 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 05, 2012 16:02 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #38

I think you are hard pressed to find a better camera than the top of the line Canon and Nikon cameras. I dont care how good anyone percreives what the glass is, You print it on paper and no one will be able to tell what camera took the shots. The best camera i have ever used is my 1DMKIV. There is nothing i cant do with it and canon makes enough glass to keep me in the poor house for life. Pretty hard to beat an MKIV with a 35L for street work. I would imagine the new updated version 11 glass will rival anything any camera MFG puts out. Im took cheap to pop for the new 24L but on an MKIV it would rock the house for street work.

After working for 30 Yrs in the automotive industry i can tell you with 100% certanity, the most expensive cars on the market are not the best made automobiles. Mercedes, jaguar, rolls, bently, They are all crap when it come to technology and durability when compared to the top lines from Japan. Nothing better on the market. The reason i know this, i worked on all these lovely things. My own personal cars are Toyotas and Hondas and acuras. They dont break and you can get 200k on them before you have to be concerned. Try that with the perceived top of the line luxery cars:lol:,,,,not a chance in hell they get to 100K without breaking the bank. Most are a total POS when it comes to technolgy and reliability.

Marketing, its a wonderful thing. Leica knows this well. I will stick with canon.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 05, 2012 17:17 as a reply to  @ post 14535962 |  #39

its very simple

made for business
businessman at his meetings will not carry a camera as big as the 5DIII
LOoL
and he will never carry a small cheap compact camera :cool:
he is a businessman
his pen is made of gold LoOL :D

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

h4ppydaze
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 05, 2012 17:18 |  #40

Leica are luxury items, pure and simple. They are built by hand by trained craftsmen, not factory workers. There is a guy inspecting every screw that holds together a Leica, sorting them between 'pass' and 'reject' piles while looking at them under a magnifying glass. True story. If you hold a Leica, feel the film wind, click the manual setting rings, you'll feel it.

I hate to make another car analogy in a thread full of sh!t car analogies, but it really is the Rolls Royce of the camera world. Hand built, no compromises.

DSLR's handle better, spit out more keeper photos, but you pay for it with their ubiquitous large black bulky ugliness. Shooting rangefinders I find is just a lot more satisfying. I only have fixed lens rangefinders, but I'm sure I'll own a Mamiya 7 or some Leica at some point.

That being said, there is no way I'd buy a digital Leica... spending 9K on a toy that will go obsolete? No thanks. A film Leica will never go obsolete, and that's how you should be shooting Leica. On film.

tannoy
93 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 05, 2012 17:21 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #41

Here is my .02 cents.

I shoot both Canon cameras (1D3 and 5Dmk3) and a Leica M9 with 18,24,50 and 90mm lenses. I originally purchased the Leica as a very high quality travel camera as I could no longer stand carrying so much weight with my Canon on long trips not to mention the bulk. Learning to use manual focus quickly was one of the only downsides to using the camera in retrospect. I now find my self using the Leica far more than my Canon for day to day shooting and since it is so small and lightweight it is usually with me.

While what some have said here about higher ISO performance not being on par with the best of the Japanese cameras is true, much else is speculation by those who do not have both or have not used both.

The lenses Leica produces are not just slightly superior to Canon they are MUCH better. This is especially true at the very wide end where I am sorry to say Canon is not very good at all in comparison. My 16-35mk2 has a very thick layer of dust on it since getting the Leica. Now I would counter this by saying the current generation of Canon and Nikon bodies are superior to Leica bodies in many if not most ways except for simplicity and size. Unfortunately the Leica taught me quickly how much glass matters, garbage in to the sensor is garbage out of the sensor. Shooting a Leica lens wide open is a very different experience vs using Canon in the same manner.

If you are looking at cameras as a tool which is the only non emotional way to look at them, Leica is superior for pure image quality over anything Canon makes within the lens ranges Leica produces and up to about ISO 800 in my experience (if you are quick enough to get the shot ;). For very low light capability,autofocus and action/sports Canon is clearly the leader (not to even mention video). The other area Canon wins hands down is for long lenses (Leica stops at 135mm) and high fps shooting. I recently shot a wedding and brought both and the Leica only came out of the bag a few times due to the need to be fast moving and get every shot under a high stress shooting environment, this is where autofocus wins (at least with my Leica abilities).

Lastly I am not wealthy and I don't care if it is perceived as a luxury item by some, this is not why I spent the money. I appreciate the images I take with the Leica and it has made me a different and I would say better shooter because of being a prime only system and manual focus, I am far more contemplative as a photographer. There is also one very nice thing about Leica glass, it actually goes up in value over time so you only lose money on the bodies within a reasonable time span (5+years).

The answer as to why are they so expensive? Because they are made in Germany by hand with highly paid (vs asia) employees. The qualities and workmanship is second to none and people are willing to pay for it :)

Horses for courses. I love both of my camera systems for different applications and reasons.

Best,
Darrin

1DMK2,35 1.4L, 50 1.4, 135 2.0L, 300f4 L is, 16-35 2.8L, 24-105 f4L, 1.4 Canon t-con

Overkill-F1
479 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 05, 2012 17:40 |  #42

I would love to own a M6 (film) someday, but I will probably never find one that I could afford. Maybe a Fed 2 or Zorki 4K is in my future, they are a very cheap way of getting into the rangefinder/film world. A great way of getting Leica lens quality is to get a Voigtlander Bessa rangefinder with a M mount or LTM and a Leica lens.
...Terry

50D, 450D, 18-55mm IS, 30mm f/1.4, 60mm f2.8 macro, 100mm f2,
For Sale- EF 24mm f/2.8
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". Dave Barry

JAbberwocky
373 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 05, 2012 17:41 |  #43

Have you seen the snazzy card board box that the M9 comes in? Totally puts Canon and Nikon to shame. :D

Photography is not defined by what gear you own.

jwm9289
713 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 05, 2012 17:54 |  #44

Sam6644 wrote in post #14533762 (external link)
Superior craftsmanship.

Canon and Nikon are Japanese... like a Honda or Nissan.
Leica is Germany... like a Mercedes or BMW.

At the end of the day, they do pretty much the same thing, but anybody who tells you a Honda is made better than a Mercedes has never taken much of a look at a Mercedes.

Worth it? I guess. If it's what you're looking for that. I consider my Canons good enough, and better suited for what I do than a Leica. My Canons are also more disposable than a Leica. I'd care a lot less about where I parked a Nissan than a BMW.

Japanese vs Germany............
Lexus is built every bit as good as a Benz.
Goldwing is built every bit as good as a BMW.

Canon 6D | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 70-200L II

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 05, 2012 18:33 as a reply to  @ jwm9289's post |  #45

for rich people the Leica
for poor people like me is the panasonic DMC-LX5 :D

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

sponsored links

45,613 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why are "Leica" camera so expensive?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.