Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 14 Feb 2009 (Saturday) 08:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How I photograph receptions

wernersl
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 24, 2011 14:30 |  #196

tim wrote in post #13296039 (external link)
I've added photos of how I connect my flash and transmitter to the camera to the first post.

very similar to what ive been doing...only ive got a lowly ole 5d and cybersyncs.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i88.photobucket​.com …TN%20uploads/NW​3X3492.jpg (external link)

Shawn l Gear
Mamarazzi Photography (external link)
Wife owns the biz...I just shoot the weddings!

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 24, 2011 14:37 |  #197

Yup, that's pretty much my setup right there. I have the CST attached to the 580EXII via Velcro and use the Demb Flip-it for the bounce card.

wernersl
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 24, 2011 14:48 |  #198

nicksan wrote in post #13298859 (external link)
Yup, that's pretty much my setup right there. I have the CST attached to the 580EXII via Velcro and use the Demb Flip-it for the bounce card.

yeah so my stuff is a generation prior...still works! the Demb is next on my list for this rig. tired of my fun foam bounce card (not pictured) falling all over itself!

Shawn l Gear

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,067 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 24, 2011 16:13 |  #199

wernersl wrote in post #13298907 (external link)
yeah so my stuff is a generation prior...still works! the Demb is next on my list for this rig. tired of my fun foam bounce card (not pictured) falling all over itself!

Really Shawn? I use the fun foam bounce card (~5" square) and it never moves. I just use it again at a Wedding last Saturday and it was rocking solid.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

wernersl
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 24, 2011 20:14 |  #200

Tigerkn wrote in post #13299338 (external link)
Really Shawn? I use the fun foam bounce card (~5" square) and it never moves. I just use it again at a Wedding last Saturday and it was rocking solid.

wind. the foam strap i made for it (integrated into the design of the card) ripped. so i grabbed a piece of cardboard from a blue moon case and stapled it between the black n white pieces of foam...velcroed to the flash. after a couple of hours it was almost useless. so demb time it is.

Shawn l Gear

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,410 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 31, 2011 22:29 |  #201

They are 10lbs each.

wernersl wrote in post #13255970 (external link)
How much do they weigh? My bags are approx 18 lbs. Don't think I would go any lighter than that.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

NYC2BGI
846 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 16, 2012 07:59 |  #202

Tim thanks for posting all of this information 3 years ago. I have come back and read it over and over because it was so helpful.

Canon 5D3, 5D2, 40D
EF 50mm f1.4, EF 85mm f1.8,
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
http://www.facebook.co​m/HightechPix (external link)

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,988 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 16, 2012 17:25 |  #203

It was initially posted three years ago, but I keep it up to date. Glad it helps people :)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 16, 2012 18:38 |  #204

NYC2BGI wrote in post #14273820 (external link)
Tim thanks for posting all of this information 3 years ago. I have come back and read it over and over because it was so helpful.

Indeed. This is good, good information.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,645 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 16, 2012 20:27 |  #205

SMP_Homer wrote in post #13262107 (external link)
how high do you setup those lights?
side light + dozens of bodies = lots of shadows

Not when you aim at the walls. You get very nice soft light. However there are times when I aim my lights at the middle of the dance floor, usually two lights in the back and one in the front. The back lights are my rim lights, the front light my key. Works quite well on the first dance, etc.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,949 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 17, 2012 10:01 |  #206

tim wrote in post #14276782 (external link)
It was initially posted three years ago, but I keep it up to date. Glad it helps people :)

Tim it helped us a ton at this last wedding. My biggest problem was getting a good side lighting that was not too harsh and/or caused shadows. When we set up at 5:00pm we had daylight coming into the room. After it got dark, i had to go turn the lights way way down. I was at -1 with my 580's for these...What i difference. Glad we made the change. I think im going to use strobes. They cycle a lot faster.

http://i195.photobucke​t.com …/karenbaby12/A9​7W0181.jpg (external link)

Had a tough time with afternoon sun coming into the room and the side lighting. I had a white ceiling i could have bounced off some more, but i didnt want to loose all the ambient so i had to deal with DJ's lights causing shadows on back wall

http://i195.photobucke​t.com …/karenbaby12/A9​7W0157.jpg (external link)

Next wedding will be a very nice reception venue. The walls in this place were this UGLY brown gold color so i didn't want to bounce off it. Still tinkering with the set ups. Its only the 2nd time we have had a chance to use but we plan on using it all season....So all help appreciated

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

unlimited6986
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 05, 2012 21:54 |  #207

Hard to tell from my little diagram lol. But im pretty sure i had the right placement of my strobes at my last wedding. I had them like this [" .] Square room had one top left and one bottom right for cross lighting. Did i have them in the right spot? Or should they be on the same wall?

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,988 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 05, 2012 22:03 |  #208

There's no right and wrong, there's only light that you like.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 11, 2012 12:37 |  #209

unlimited6986 wrote in post #14537218 (external link)
Hard to tell from my little diagram lol. But im pretty sure i had the right placement of my strobes at my last wedding. I had them like this [" .] Square room had one top left and one bottom right for cross lighting. Did i have them in the right spot? Or should they be on the same wall?

It would be nice if there were ideal spots for flashes (there are) AND those spots were fully usable to mount light stands w/o being a risk to guests and staff....
mount wherever you can - any lights that you control is better than not being able to control anything...

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

ckweddingphoto
35 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 18, 2012 15:06 |  #210

nice set up

sponsored links

84,012 views & 0 likes for this thread
How I photograph receptions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.