Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 23:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 50mm 1.4 or 60mm Macro

belias1989
148 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 05, 2012 23:44 |  #1

Just a quick question, which is better for my Canon 600D 50mm 1.4 or 60mm f2.8mm macro. Setting aside shooting style and other information, just plain 'choose between these two lens' to compliment my kit lens on my 600D.

sponsored links
Overkill-F1
479 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 06, 2012 01:03 |  #2

My first prime lens purchase was the 60mm. I liked the option for macro, and the lens is a nice sharp lens. It is a good focal length for portraits imho. I wish it was a little faster, but f/2.8 isn't that bad. The difference between 50 and 60mm is close, so decide if you need speed or the macro.
...Terry

50D, 450D, 18-55mm IS, 30mm f/1.4, 60mm f2.8 macro, 100mm f2,
For Sale- EF 24mm f/2.8
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". Dave Barry

equach206
307 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 06, 2012 02:57 |  #3

Considering shooting style is one of the first things that comes up in lens choices, I feel it would be important to know.

However, I have the 60mm Macro and it makes an excellent portrait lens! Very sharp at any aperture and f/2.8 is good enough to get good thin depth of field. Unless you really need the speed or thinner depth of field possible with the faster f/1.4 aperture, I'd say go with the 60mm.

5D | 50D | 60 f/2.8 Macro | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 430EX
Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 06, 2012 03:06 |  #4

if you area already have the kit-lens and happy with it, then my vote goes for the 60mm 2.8 macro as well because it will give you extra focal length and also macro capability.

now if you were looking for an all-around lens sans kit-lens, I was going to suggest the sigma 30mm 1.4

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

nightcat
Goldmember
4,533 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 06, 2012 05:18 |  #5

This question is easy. The 60mm macro may be the sharpest lens I've ever used. At 2.8 its very good. At f4 or 5.6 it's amazing. With it's great IQ, it's easy to forget it's a macro lens as well.

Joe.Kelley
322 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 06, 2012 19:32 |  #6

I had both and I used the 60 macro more often but I wish that I had bought the 100mm macro

Fuji X100s | Sony RX100 II | 5D MKIII (SOLD)| 35L (SOLD) | 70-200 L IS MKII (SOLD)| GoPro Hero3 Black
2 Einsteins | CyberSync System | Vagabond Mini

paddler4
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 06, 2012 19:40 |  #7

I have the 60mm macro, and it is indeed a great lens. However, I think you are putting the cart before the horse. It is almost always a bad idea to buy a lens before you know what you want to use it for. What do you want to do that your kit lens won't do? If you want macro, the choice is obvious. If you want a much faster lens, either for speed or for narrow DOF, then maybe the 50 f/1.4, which is two stops faster. But many people who start with the kit lens want more range, e.g., for shots outdoors, and for that purpose, neither of these lenses is a good choice. for that purpose, you would do better with a 55-250, or another moderate telephoto, or maybe a longer prime.

So, I think you will get more helpful advice if you narrow down your uses more.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,650 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 07, 2012 10:55 as a reply to  @ paddler4's post |  #8

Another vote for the 60mm macro. This is an amazing lens. Even after I bought the 100mm L IS, I still kept the 60mm. It's one of the best portrait lenses you can buy for a crop body, and the fact that it also does nice 1:1 macro is just icing on the cake.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

sponsored links

3,464 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 50mm 1.4 or 60mm Macro
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.