Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 10:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I nuts???

Stillwater ­ Gold
24 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 06, 2012 10:51 |  #1

I just ordered a 5D mark iii with the 24-105L IS lens and then made the mistake of looking through some of these threads and after reading about the 70-300 f/4-5.6 L serries IS lens couldn't help but order it. And now I'm looking at the canon 100 f2.8L macro IS lens...the reviews are sterling.

I am by no means anywhere near a professional and this will be my first DSLR camera coming off the SLR's from years ago. I do a lot of Stillwater fly-fishing, thus the handle "Stillwater Gold", so I'm looking for something very durable, weather resistant, will be doing a lot of shooting from the boat thus the need for IS, shots will include birds, wildlife, landscape, dogs in action, fish, fellow flyfishermen, and lots of bugs. We flyfishermen love bugs!:D

My plan is to be completely overwhelmed initially by this new gear:oops:but eventually learn the ropes and have the ability to take some wonderful pictures as I've seen on this site.

With the addition of macro lens I should have all the bases covered, hopefully. I just want to make sure I'm not duplicating myself here on these lens cause the bank account is just about empty.

Thanks for any input or donations;)

Pete

sponsored links
Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 06, 2012 10:52 |  #2

What is a D5 mark iii?

Gear List

Stillwater ­ Gold
THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 06, 2012 11:02 as a reply to  @ Numenorean's post |  #3

Changed to 5d mark iii...sorry:oops:

Pete

Christina.DazzleByDesign
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 06, 2012 11:19 |  #4

Have fun with your new gear :D You should throw in a fast prime lens while you are at it!

5D3 | 7D | 85L II | 70-300L | 24-105L | Nifty Fifty | 600EX-RT_______________
| Facebook (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear List |Flickr (external link) |

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 06, 2012 11:27 |  #5

if you can afford it then why not?

Phototeacher
262 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 06, 2012 11:27 |  #6

The lens you ordered should work well for your birds and wildlife shots. While the macro has IS, it is only 100mm, and I don't know it that will be really long enough for birds, etc. from the boat. That should be the job of 70-300. As for the macro capability, I see a lot of macro lenses offered for sale on the various sites, and the most common reason given is that ..."it does not get used as much as I thought it would." Are you planning to do true macro work (close to 1:1 reproduction) or are you just looking for better close-up capability, which you can get with the Canon 250D or 500D close up lens screwed onto your existing lens.

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 06, 2012 11:32 |  #7

The 100 FL makes for great portraits on a 5D, not just macro...

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,166 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 06, 2012 11:50 |  #8

That should be an excellent setup for your needs. Hopefully you ordered the 70-300L at the same time as the 5D3 in order to take advantage of Canon's double rebate offer.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

shedberg
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 06, 2012 11:54 |  #9

Love my macro lens... I have the 24-105 and a 100-400, and it is definitely not duplicating anything in my kit. The only other thing that you might decide you want (I know I want it right now) is an ultra wide angle lens.

My Flickr Page (external link)
6D / 7D / 16-35 II / 35 2.0 IS / 60 macro / 85 1.8 / 135 2 / 100-400 / 430EX II

Stillwater ­ Gold
THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 06, 2012 12:54 |  #10

Scott M wrote in post #14539973 (external link)
That should be an excellent setup for your needs. Hopefully you ordered the 70-300L at the same time as the 5D3 in order to take advantage of Canon's double rebate offer.

Thanks all...I appreciate your responses.

Scott I went through all the channels I could think of regarding rebates including canon and was told there were no rebates available...$4299.00 was the standard price everywhere. The only rebate I could find was if bought a canon photo/printer along with the kit.

Please tell me more about the double rebate offer?

Thanks,

Pete

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Jun 06, 2012 13:02 |  #11

The combination of a 5D and the 24-105 is stellar. You are going to love it. I also have the 70-300 L and it is also great. I have never used it on a 5D but I love it on the 7D. I am going to buy another 5D so I hope it works fine. The greatest mistake I made in photography was selling my 5DII.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,166 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 06, 2012 13:10 |  #12

Stillwater Gold wrote in post #14540298 (external link)
Thanks all...I appreciate your responses.

Scott I went through all the channels I could think of regarding rebates including canon and was told there were no rebates available...$4299.00 was the standard price everywhere. The only rebate I could find was if bought a canon photo/printer along with the kit.

Please tell me more about the double rebate offer?

Thanks,

Pete

Pete,

Canon is offering rebates on certain lenses and camera bodies right now. Also, if you order the lens with a qualifying body (and the 5D3 qualifies), you get double the rebate on the lens. The offer is available on June 30th.

The 70-300L has a $100 rebate right now, which would be doubled to $200 if bought on the same order as the 5D3.

I ordered a 135L along with the 5D3 kit right after the rebate program started.

Here is a link to the info on B&H's website: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …&O=RootPage.jsp​&A=getpage (external link)

Gear List

Stillwater ­ Gold
THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 06, 2012 13:23 |  #13

Scott M wrote in post #14540415 (external link)
Pete,

Canon is offering rebates on certain lenses and camera bodies right now. Also, if you order the lens with a qualifying body (and the 5D3 qualifies), you get double the rebate on the lens. The offer is available on June 30th.

The 70-300L has a $100 rebate right now, which would be doubled to $200 if bought on the same order as the 5D3.

I ordered a 135L along with the 5D3 kit right after the rebate program started.

Here is a link to the info on B&H's website: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …&O=RootPage.jsp​&A=getpage (external link)

Thank you ever so much Scott, I'm not sure I'll be able to take advantage of it but I'm sure going to try.

Pete

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,166 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 06, 2012 13:27 |  #14

Stillwater Gold wrote in post #14540485 (external link)
Thank you ever so much Scott, I'm not sure I'll be able to take advantage of it but I'm sure going to try.

Pete

You're welcome, and good luck in getting your order changed. If it hasn't shipped yet, I would think the dealer should be able to add the lens for you.

This is the second time I've taken advantage of such a rebate. A couple of years ago I bought the 100-400L at the same time as a 7D to get a double rebate. In each case, I ended up getting the new lens for about what a used version would cost.

Gear List

riverdog1
335 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 06, 2012 14:13 as a reply to  @ Scott M's post |  #15

You can see from my user name I Love Rivers too! Just a thought, I have a 300mm f4 IS
that works great for bugs about 6 feet away and birds much further away. It has a
minimum focus distance that allows photographing bugs without disturbing them the way
you sometimes do with a macro. I use a 1.4x on the 300mm almost all the time.
I eventually sold my macro because of the fine job the 300 with 1.4x does. They are different beasts though...maybe have them both!

(east central IL panfish love blue winged olives!)

sponsored links

4,481 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I nuts???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.