Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 17:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sad Testament...

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 06, 2012 14:17 |  #31

I'm confused...

How'd the OP manage to get run off from what is obviously a museum open to the public?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links
Karl ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

Jun 06, 2012 14:23 |  #32

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14540782 (external link)
I'm confused...

How'd the OP manage to get run off from what is obviously a museum open to the public?

I didn't get run off...

My encounter with the LEO occurred after I had left the premises and was driving down the hill from another area that, it too, wasn't marked Private Property. The officer only cared about the area "inside the fence" - his words - and it meant the battery area.

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 06, 2012 14:26 |  #33

Karl C wrote in post #14540824 (external link)
I didn't get run off...

My encounter with the LEO occurred after I had left the premises and was driving down the hill from another area that, it too, wasn't marked Private Property. The officer only cared about the area "inside the fence" - his words - and it meant the battery area.

Ok, hairs split...

Had you been in an area that wasn't directly part of the museum?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jun 06, 2012 14:33 |  #34

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14524859 (external link)
The dudes who did 9-11 were educated and pretty smart, actually. They came on student visas, rented homes in middle class neighborhoods, trained in Florida on flight simulators, and such.

But if they photographed their targets ahead of time, it must have been with Nikons.

Canon users wouldn't do stuff like that (well, except Canon users who don't use AV, TV, and M.

;)

Of course they were... they were all CIA to begin with.

:p

Karl ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

Jun 06, 2012 14:34 |  #35

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14540842 (external link)
Ok, hairs split...

Had you been in an area that wasn't directly part of the museum?

Yes, up the hill in the old barracks area for less than five minutes and that area is not behind any fence.

Like I mentioned above, the officer didn't care about that - only the 15 minutes I was "inside the fence".

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 06, 2012 15:15 |  #36

I'm failing miserably to understand the point. You were somewhere they didn't want you to be and you were asked to leave? If you're somewhere you shouldn't be, what does length of time you were there have to do with it? You were obviously deeply angered by this for some reason, which I'm not understanding either. I'm not sure if you think it's a conspiracy or some effort on the government's part to malign you in some way, by keeping you from being 'behind the fence'. I am sincerely trying to understand where you were wronged and why it made you so mad that you took to the internet to tell us about it. Being asked to leave an area you aren't supposed to be in isn't exactly news.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 06, 2012 16:45 as a reply to  @ elrey2375's post |  #37

A terrorist can look like any other average Joe, including guys with cameras.

The area should have been clearly marked, and you may want to make a call to someone and let them know what happened (somewhat apologetically), and point out to them that this could happen again with poor signage.

Wasn't there some 3rd world leader in the 70's or 80's that didn't allow cameras near him? You can easily take a camera body and lens and convert them into a gun. Can't remember who it was, but I remember reading about it back then.

My wife and I own a store that is a payment station for the electric company. Homeland Security has decided that they have to know who is physically standing at our counter paying the bill. We have a nice sign posted about it, all in the name of homeland security. Not really sure what good it does, since we aren't required to ask for ID, so they can just say they are anyone. Welcome to the Post 9/11 world. While some of our freedoms and liberties have been stiffled, we are still the free-est (how do you spell that) country in the world.

God Bless America

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,778 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 06, 2012 17:10 |  #38

KirkS518 wrote in post #14541453 (external link)
we are still the free-est (how do you spell that) country in the world.

Actually you're ranked 19th -

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Democracy_Index (external link)

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 06, 2012 17:33 |  #39

elrey2375 wrote in post #14541071 (external link)
I'm failing miserably to understand the point. You were somewhere they didn't want you to be and you were asked to leave?

Yes, you are failing.

How can he be told to leave when he had already left some time ago?

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 06, 2012 18:04 |  #40

I'm failing miserably to understand the point. You were somewhere they didn't want you to be and you were asked to leave? If you're somewhere you shouldn't be, what does length of time you were there have to do with it? You were obviously deeply angered by this for some reason, which I'm not understanding either. I'm not sure if you think it's a conspiracy or some effort on the government's part to malign you in some way, by keeping you from being 'behind the fence'. I am sincerely trying to understand where you were wronged and why it made you so mad that you took to the internet to tell us about it. Being asked to leave an area you aren't supposed to be in isn't exactly news.

I wouldn't call him "deeply angered" by any of his posts. Yes, he was somewhere he shouldn't have been, but he didn't know that due to a lack of signage. He was questioned like a suspect because someone made the call that he might be suspicious. This is all, of course, according to his (side of the) story that he laid out in the first post. :rolleyes:

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 06, 2012 18:13 |  #41

fotoworx wrote in post #14541547 (external link)
Actually you're ranked 19th -

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Democracy_Index (external link)

We're a Republic

Karl ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 06, 2012 18:29 |  #42

With all due respect, can I ask a question? Is English not your first language?

I can't make this any clearer - no one asked me to leave while I was on the premises. I had already left the area in question by the time law enforcement stopped and questioned me.

As for being "deeply angered" - hardly, far from it. My original post was nothing more than commentary - maybe you misconstrued the tone of my post. Heck, I even made a comment at the close of my post indicating I wasn't ranting. Here's what I wrote:

This is not meant as a rant; more of a sad observation.

Are you less confused now?

pwm2 wrote in post #14541638 (external link)
Yes, you are failing.

How can he be told to leave when he had already left some time ago?

Exactly. Thanks!

bjyoder wrote in post #14541774 (external link)
I wouldn't call him "deeply angered" by any of his posts. Yes, he was somewhere he shouldn't have been, but he didn't know that due to a lack of signage. He was questioned like a suspect because someone made the call that he might be suspicious. This is all, of course, according to his (side of the) story that he laid out in the first post. :rolleyes:

I think if you asked Officer Johnson of the L.A. Unified School District Police Department, you'd get the same side of the story. It was pretty clear what happened. I supposedly was in an area considered Private Property even though no signage existed. I think if Officer Johnson went through the same gate I did, he'd agree.

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 06, 2012 19:48 |  #43

Karl C wrote in post #14541857 (external link)
I think if you asked Officer Johnson of the L.A. Unified School District Police Department, you'd get the same side of the story. It was pretty clear what happened. I supposedly was in an area considered Private Property even though no signage existed. I think if Officer Johnson went through the same gate I did, he'd agree.

The way you've presented yourself in the thread, I'd tend to agree with you (though we are still only getting your side ;)). Misplaced smiley put the emphasis on the wrong part. :)

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,778 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 06, 2012 20:07 |  #44

elrey2375 wrote in post #14541803 (external link)
We're a Republic

It's always an interesting discussion re: Republic vs Democracy.

It's hard to argue that many Americans believe that the U.S is the "Greatest democracy on earth" and the "Freest country in the world" you're brought up on a steady diet of this, but the real facts are that America is no different from any other western country.

Non of us have "pure freedom" to do as we wish. If we did, this thread wouldn't exist and all the threads like it that pop up on this photography forum re: the loss of personal rights (civil liberties) of a photographer instituted by a government

Here in Australia we enjoy massive personal freedom. We have a total land mass that is slightly larger than the U.S (minus Alaska) but we have less than 10% of your population. We're also told from the cradle by our politicians that we are "free", but we're only in fact "freer" than other less free countries of the world the same as you are. No country of the world has a true free population......it's just a sliding scale of where a country sits in regards to it's freedom level of it's inhabitants.

Now considering all of the above, if I hadn't been born in Australia my second choice would most definately have been the U.S.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 06, 2012 22:06 |  #45

Karl C wrote in post #14541857 (external link)
With all due respect, can I ask a question? Is English not your first language?

I can't make this any clearer - no one asked me to leave while I was on the premises. I had already left the area in question by the time law enforcement stopped and questioned me.

As for being "deeply angered" - hardly, far from it. My original post was nothing more than commentary - maybe you misconstrued the tone of my post. Heck, I even made a comment at the close of my post indicating I wasn't ranting. Here's what I wrote:

Are you less confused now?

Exactly. Thanks!

Yes, english is my first language. You still haven't explained how this was a sad commentary, which was my point way back when. Just because YOU know you weren't doing anything untoward up there doesn't mean that everyone else does. Next time you get on a plane, how bout they just let everyone board without going through security if they promise they aren't going to do anything bad. It seems that it all boils down to the signage, because you've mentioned it repeatedly. Since they stopped you after you had already left, you got to do whatever it is you wanted to do up there, so I'm not sure what the problem is. If it has perturbed you so, write a letter and let the city know there are no signs or this will happen to the next person and your whole experience has been in vain.

sponsored links

5,760 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sad Testament...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.