Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 May 2012 (Tuesday) 07:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying a new compact camera - which one?

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 29, 2012 07:01 |  #1

I am in the position of looking at a new compact camera in the next few months to replace the Canon A710IS point and shoot that I have (the issues are numerous but the main one is battery drain).

I have a 50D for my main shooting but want a good P&S for general use when a) I cba carrying the big camera and b) when wifey wants to use it (the 50D is too much camera for her).

Looking for decent operation (with the ability to go manual for me), good battery life, good picture quality (not interested in high MP at the expense of image quality). Would prefer to stick with Canon unless there is an outstanding reason to move.

I have had a quick look at the S95/S100 and G12/G1X ranges but would like real world comments from owners.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

sponsored links
watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 29, 2012 09:12 |  #2

ask in the P&S section but I'm seriously looking at the mirror-less options

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 29, 2012 10:29 as a reply to  @ watt100's post |  #3

I can't say anything about the g series after the g10. The G10 I have gets alot of use. You can go manual on any aspect of it's settings including focus but I don't do anything but AP priority on mine and I get good shots up to ISO 400, graininess after that. It has features I will never use, you could spend a week or two learning to proficiently use all of it's little gizmo software trickery. Or use it green box with pretty fair results if you want.

And an extra battery for it was quite possibly my most useless photography purchase, it just keeps on going and going.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 06, 2012 00:41 |  #4

X100 would be my pick.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 06, 2012 01:14 |  #5

First define compact as you see it.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

3Dart
154 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Jun 06, 2012 03:13 |  #6

nikon P 300 f/1.8

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 06, 2012 07:43 |  #7

samsen wrote in post #14537946 (external link)
First define compact as you see it.

+1

Before my T3i i was using an S2IS and while it was a point and shoot, it was by no means "compact". When i think compact I think of something that could carry in a pocket, like an ELPH series.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 06, 2012 18:37 |  #8

mikeinctown wrote in post #14538736 (external link)
When i think compact I think of something that could carry in a pocket, like an ELPH series.

right, pocket size but with a large sensor

mattia
528 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 07, 2012 03:18 |  #9

Define 'pocket' - large coat pocket, jeans pocket, cargo pants?

Go to a store - the G1X is only 'pocketable' by very, very broad definitions that exclude most pant pockets, as is the G12 to a slightly lesser degree. The freshly announced Sony RX100 looks like a very interesting proposition in terms of relatively large sensor (Nikon 1 sized, i.e. still significantly smaller than any of the mirrorless cams, still larger than premium compacts such as the Panny LX5 or Oly ZX-1 but in a smaller body than any of them), although I'm a little hesitant due to 20mp crammed on a tiny amount of real estate.

I've used the S95 briefly, and very much enjoyed the handling. I've also been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Ixus HS220 (now replaced by the 230, I believe), which is a true pocketable cam. Actually OK at higher ISO, not a whole lot of manual control. I don't really like the G series cameras all that much - brick-y, lots of control, but don't quite gel with me in terms of interface.

Seriously consider micro 43 - I recently bought my first two (a panasonic GF2 and an Olympus E-M5). Both fit in a coat pocket or large cargo pant pocket when paired with a 14mm prime (28mm for equiv), but you are buying into a system, so you'll likely get a few extra lenses and so on, and so forth. They are very capable cameras. Sony's NEX series are also very nice, but lack the glass selection and most lenses are so large that they negate any 'pocketability'. And then there's always the Fuji X10, which is fairly compact.

5DII | 300D | 30D IR | 17-40L | 24-105L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 15 FE | 35L | 50/1.8 mk I | 135L | Sigmalux 50/1.4 | Sigma 105/F2.8 Macro | C/Y Planar 50/1.4 | C/Y Distagon 35/2.8

sponsored links

1,324 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buying a new compact camera - which one?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.