Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 20:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D vs. 5D Noise Test

StanNJ1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 07, 2012 06:02 |  #16

Thanks Julian. Your images were helpful and it looks like we're not the only one seeing more noise even at low ISOs.

jhayesvw wrote in post #14543468 (external link)
nice comparisons Julian
looks like the noise is pretty similar in both.
maybe a touch more in the gray on the 7d but as Teamspeed said, nothing that shows up
in normal prints.

for the "distance", AF, FPS, and other things, the 7d is a "better" camera than the 7d I think.

jhayes thanks for your reply. I'm assuming you meant to say you think the 7D is better than the "5D"?

smorter wrote in post #14543629 (external link)
My suspicion is that it is being caused by one or both of the following culprits:
- ALO
- PIC

Thanks smorter. Auto Lighting Optimizer is turned OFF and would only apply to jpgs. Peripheral Illumination Correction is also disabled and would only apply to jpgs.

1DX, ID MKIII, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 16-35 2.8L, 100 macro, 600EX-RTs, ST-E3-RT, Einsteins, Kacey Beauty Dish with a cracked grid, yada yada
www.stansphotos.com (external link)
www.Facebook.com/LikeS​tansPhotos (external link)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,898 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Joined May 2002

Jun 07, 2012 06:28 |  #17

StanNJ1 wrote in post #14542817 (external link)
TeamSpeed thanks for the informative reply. These images were all shot in Raw and then converted to jpgs for forum posting. For what it's worth we also mounted my 70-200 to his 7D and there was still the same noise patterns.

And since we are shooting in Raw I'm assuming the in-camera adjustments such as sharpening, contrast, saturation, etc only apply to jpg. Correct? Any other suggestions for getting cleaner images Sooc?

Depends, are you using DPP? DPP will honor all in-camera settings when converting to JPGs, unless you go through some hoops to turn off NR completely, etc. The color tones are dramatically different between the two, and this leads me to be believe that both cameras were not identically set up as best as they could to do this test.

Now do this test with identical settings, and you will see where the 7D matches up to the 5D. It appears that Canon was able to make higher ISOs work on the APS-Cs but at some slight expense at the lower ISO levels. However, it is easier to clean up low ISO noise and still get crisp pictures than to clean up high ISO noise and get crisp pics from an APS-C, so it seems acceptable to me.

For example ISO 6400

IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Sports/Mad-Ants-Mar-3-2012/i-SN6fdVV/0/X2/IMG7424dpp-X2.jpg

ISO 12800
IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Sports/Mad-Ants-Mar-3-2012/i-Gdn4QzD/0/XL/IMG7376dpp-XL.jpg

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

StanNJ1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 07, 2012 06:37 |  #18

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14543917 (external link)
Depends, are you using DPP? DPP will honor all in-camera settings when converting to JPGs, unless you go through some hoops to turn off NR completely, etc. The color tones are dramatically different between the two, and this leads me to be believe that both cameras were not identically set up as best as they could to do this test.

Now do this test with identical settings, and you will see where the 7D matches up to the 5D. It appears that Canon was able to make higher ISOs work on the APS-Cs but at some slight expense at the lower ISO levels. However, it is easier to clean up low ISO noise and still get crisp pictures than to clean up high ISO noise and get crisp pics from an APS-C, so it seems acceptable to me.

TeamSpeed you've been very helpful. Thanks. Those two images look great for those ISOs. I have noiseware but my friend (7D owner) does not. Is this what you used here? Also, could you recommend some good in camera settings for the 7D that would help clean up the image quality?
Thanks again.

1DX, ID MKIII, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 16-35 2.8L, 100 macro, 600EX-RTs, ST-E3-RT, Einsteins, Kacey Beauty Dish with a cracked grid, yada yada
www.stansphotos.com (external link)
www.Facebook.com/LikeS​tansPhotos (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,898 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Joined May 2002

Jun 07, 2012 06:46 |  #19

StanNJ1 wrote in post #14543939 (external link)
TeamSpeed you've been very helpful. Thanks. Those two images look great for those ISOs. I have noiseware but my friend (7D owner) does not. Is this what you used here? Also, could you recommend some good in camera settings for the 7D that would help clean up the image quality?
Thanks again.

Please click my mini-reviews link in my signature, and look for the thread for High ISO 7D. I and others have added thoughts on how to set up the camera for high ISO, as well as some post processing techniques.

I do use Noiseware as the core of noise reduction.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 07, 2012 09:31 |  #20

StanNJ1 wrote in post #14543885 (external link)
Thanks Julian. Your images were helpful and it looks like we're not the only one seeing more noise even at low ISOs.

You are definitely not the only 7D owners that see the noise at low ISO. It is a known issue that 7D does not do well at low ISO when comparing to the DSLR in the same class. I shot mainly between ISO 100 and 800. When i upgraded from 20D to 7D, I was surprised how bad the 7D noise handling is. Noise reduction was not part of my workflow but on the 7D images, i had to run NR. Some folks might be ok with that, but keeping the 7D would bump up my PP time too much and i don't need the high MP. So, i sold the 7D and got a 1D MkIII. That turns out great for me.

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 07, 2012 10:51 |  #21

StanNJ1 wrote in post #14543021 (external link)
Gotak while I appreciate that you are offering advice I am not looking for nor do I need any on how to properly expose a photo. The intent of this thread was to see if other 7D users have had similar findings with regard to noise.

pyrojim when you have something worthwhile to add to this thread I will be willing to consider your input.

Now, I can easily see where my joke was of poor taste, however,

my point is that I suspect you are really splitting hairs here.

If your goal is to show that the 7D is making more noise than it should, you have a very high probability of proving to yourself beyond the chance of extreme data to occur that the 7D in fact has a terrible noise problem.

Additionally, with respect to noise, the 7D is VERY sensitive to under exposure.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

sponsored links

4,207 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D vs. 5D Noise Test
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.