Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 06 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 09:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recomendations for 4x6 photo paper .

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 07, 2012 00:36 |  #16

nphsbuckeye wrote in post #14542776 (external link)
I just bought the 9000 II and purchased a couple of their samplers: WOW!. I've never fully appreciated printed art until now.

Were they 4x6 sheets?

And if so, how bout you pick your favorites and post a price for a 100 pack? Or at least the particular name?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
JasonMK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 07, 2012 08:00 |  #17

ncjohn wrote in post #14542586 (external link)
It sounds like you're not interested in papers with profiles

To be honest, I'm not completely sure what that even means. Years ago you just selected "plain paper" or "photo paper", but now it seems far more sophisticated. If I am understanding the options today, photo printers will print based on the actual pack of paper you put in and not just the overall type of paper. Someone mentioned downloading paper profiles (much like one would download drivers). Is that correct?

-JasonMK on Flickr (external link)
1Ds Mark III | 650D | EF 17~40mm 4L | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX III | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR CC

BigBadWolfie
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 07, 2012 08:07 |  #18

JasonMK wrote in post #14544145 (external link)
To be honest, I'm not completely sure what that even means. Years ago you just selected "plain paper" or "photo paper", but now it seems far more sophisticated. If I am understanding the options today, photo printers will print based on the actual pack of paper you put in and not just the overall type of paper. Someone mentioned downloading paper profiles (much like one would download drivers). Is that correct?

You've got it right. It's actually no different from what you were accustomed to years ago. Years ago you would put in "photo paper" and select "photo paper" under your printer options. Nowadays you just have more "photo paper" to choose from. Paper profiles are similar to drivers in that it allows you to maximize compatability and performance (quality) between printer and paper.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 07, 2012 08:31 |  #19

JasonMK wrote in post #14544145 (external link)

Color management is essential if you want great prints.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1132002

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

JasonMK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 07, 2012 08:34 |  #20

BigBadWolfie wrote in post #14544163 (external link)
You've got it right. It's actually no different from what you were accustomed to years ago. Years ago you would put in "photo paper" and select "photo paper" under your printer options. Nowadays you just have more "photo paper" to choose from. Paper profiles are similar to drivers in that it allows you to maximize compatability and performance (quality) between printer and paper.

Thanks, that helps a lot.

Tony-S wrote in post #14544254 (external link)
Color management is essential if you want great prints.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1132002

Great Guide! Thanks for posting the link.

1Ds Mark III | 650D | EF 17~40mm 4L | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX III | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR CC

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 07, 2012 08:39 |  #21

Red River Arctic Polar Luster is great stuff.

Gear List

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 07, 2012 09:32 |  #22

tonylong wrote in post #14543288 (external link)
Were they 4x6 sheets?

And if so, how bout you pick your favorites and post a price for a 100 pack? Or at least the particular name?

No, but most are available in 4 x 6 (external link).

My favorites so far are metallic, arctic polar satin, arctic polar luster, arctic polar gloss, premo matte, and paper canvas. River linen and greenpix are pretty nice for fine arts stuff, but not for "general use".

So, yeah, I'm a big fan of most of their stuff. I'd probably only but metallic, satin, matte, and paper canvas (mainly to save a little money from buying the gauntlet).

Christian

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 07, 2012 09:42 as a reply to  @ CAL Imagery's post |  #23

One thing to be aware of with the Red River papers: I have a Pro9000MkII and it leaves marks on their glossy papers. The star wheels that feed the papers leave trails of faintly visible marks across the surface. Other people have reported the same thing so it's not just my printer but I don't know how common it is. No problem with their matte papers.

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 07, 2012 17:04 |  #24

ncjohn wrote in post #14544548 (external link)
One thing to be aware of with the Red River papers: I have a Pro9000MkII and it leaves marks on their glossy papers. The star wheels that feed the papers leave trails of faintly visible marks across the surface. Other people have reported the same thing so it's not just my printer but I don't know how common it is. No problem with their matte papers.

I can attest. However, I'm not a huge fan of glossy large prints in the first place.

Christian

BigBadWolfie
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 07, 2012 21:43 |  #25

nphsbuckeye wrote in post #14544515 (external link)
No, but most are
My favorites so far are metallic, arctic polar satin, arctic polar luster, arctic polar gloss, premo matte, and paper canvas. River linen and greenpix are pretty nice for fine arts stuff, but not for "general use".

So, yeah, I'm a big fan of most of their stuff. I'd probably only but metallic, satin, matte, and paper canvas (mainly to save a little money from buying the gauntlet).

Care to give a brief (would love an extended if you have time) review of each paper and describe the differences you see? I bought their sample pack but haven't gotten around to cutting them up. Would love to know what to expect.

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 07, 2012 21:46 |  #26

BigBadWolfie wrote in post #14547808 (external link)
Care to give a brief (would love an extended if you have time) review of each paper and describe the differences you see? I bought their sample pack but haven't gotten around to cutting them up. Would love to know what to expect.

Yeah, me too.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 08, 2012 00:37 |  #27

BigBadWolfie wrote in post #14547808 (external link)

You don't need to cut them up -- just print a couple of images on a sheet and compare to printing on another paper type!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

BigBadWolfie
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 08, 2012 01:30 |  #28

tonylong wrote in post #14548454 (external link)
You don't need to cut them up -- just print a couple of images on a sheet and compare to printing on another paper type!

Well I was considering buying in 4x6 and 5x7 size and I have Ilford Pearls in that size so I was trying to keep things uniform. Besides, I am cheap and don't want to waste ink. :oops:

JasonMK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 08, 2012 10:53 |  #29

BigBadWolfie wrote in post #14548615 (external link)
Besides, I am cheap and don't want to waste ink. :oops:

Or the paper:oops:

Hye5
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Jan 2002

Jun 08, 2012 16:05 as a reply to  @ JasonMK's post |  #30

You might want to look into Costco... They rebrand what I believe is Epson paper under their Kirkland brand name. I've been using it for years and have been quite happy with the results. The paper works great on Canon printers. A box of 300 in the 4x6 size is $15 (LINK (external link)). You can get a box of 150 letter size (8.5x11) for under $20 (LINK (external link)).

Hye 5 Photography (external link)

sponsored links

5,095 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recomendations for 4x6 photo paper .
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.