Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 05 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 07:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoshop

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 05, 2012 22:17 |  #16

Yeah, I know what you're talking about with those types of shots. Like I said they aren't my style. Some people have really worked on the skills to pull them off. For most folks, I's say we "struggle". Use of a flash for "fill" on the subjects and then using post processing to "finish things off" would be my suggestions, but I'd say you really want to find some photos here and then ask the photog! Like I said, spend time checking out the People section, and ask questions -- people here tend to be quite helpful!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 06, 2012 04:55 |  #17

PhotoGuy2012 wrote in post #14536856 (external link)
Tony thanks for the info. BUT, maybe i did not describe what i was talking about well enough. This is what I am talking about. How do you get this effect? Is it in PP(PS or Lr???) or from the camera? I hope its not against forum rules to post these links.

On a technical note - if you want to take back-lit photos that won't flare, veil, CA, or fringe like hell, invest into that 70-200mm f2.8 IS II first thing. Flare/veiling that happens in the lens is impossible to get rid of; but adding it creatively in post is fairly trivial. The original photos were no doubt well defined and free of that bright glare that I can guarantee was added in post.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

PhotoGuy2012
THREAD ­ STARTER
82 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

Jun 06, 2012 06:44 |  #18

Thanks Tony, Kolor for the info. I know these type of photos aren't everyones cup of tea but I kinda like them.

PhotoGuy2012
THREAD ­ STARTER
82 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 06, 2012 08:46 as a reply to  @ PhotoGuy2012's post |  #19

Ok checked out PS elements and there are a few versions of elements ie... elements 2, 9, 10. Which one do you suggest or recommend.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 06, 2012 09:01 |  #20

Elements gets upgraded, the current version is Elements 10, so that's what you would normally get. I wouldn't look at "deals" for earlier versions.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 06, 2012 22:26 |  #21

tonylong wrote in post #14539088 (external link)
I wouldn't look at "deals" for earlier versions.

Actually, Tony, I disagree with that. I'm still using PSE 6 even though I have 7 also; there's not much difference. Now I'm sure that I would love to have version 10 but I'm loving 6 so for anybody who's watching their bucks I would say, "Get a deal if you can."

Now, in the case of the OP, judging by the equipment he's already bought and planning on buying, I would say, "Go for 10. Why not?":)

BigBadWolfie
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 07, 2012 00:08 as a reply to  @ ncjohn's post |  #22

PhotoGuy, what exactly were you thinking of when you asked us this question? What are you hoping to accomplish? If you like trying out stuff, you can first try Canon's free DPP software to process your photos. For some people, that's all they need and it's free. The quality of photos processed using DPP is very comparable and sometimes better than what you can get with Adobe software so don't feel like you need to get photoshop something. The reason people use something other than DPP are for other features that DPP doesn't offer. If you're looking at the Adobe software you can download trials to see what you like.

I think it's important to figure out what you want. I was in your position not too long ago and I decided I wanted something easy to get started with and to use but also give me room to grow. I ended up with Lightroom and later bought photoshop. That's the combination many professionals use and I highly recommend that combo if you have a need for photoshop. I did try DPP but really didn't give it a serious go as Lightroom was affordable and I was convinced that Lightroom was a better long-term solution for me with it's superior ability to organize my photos. You'll hear professionals say that they use Lightroom most of the time (some even say 90% of the time) when working with their photos and that's because it's really that powerful and preferable to use. Lightroom to me is indispensable. I dismissed PS Elements pretty early on because I feel it's a program that tries to fill in the gap between Lightroom and Photoshop CS5/6 and really didn't. But if you feel like you will never need the features that a full version of photoshop offers, and you're just looking for a software to touch up a few photos at a time and not a whole lot of photos then Elements might be all you need or a good compliment to Lightroom.

So it comes down to your needs. Think of CS6 as two programs. One part is Camera Raw, the program you use to process your photos. The other part is the part that most people associate photoshop with (removing stuff, sliming down bodies etc.). What it lacks is an easy way to organize/manage your photos. Elements is essentially a scaled down version of CS6 with a photo organizer. Lightroom has the exact same engine as Camera Raw and is seen as a compliment to photoshop because of its superior ability to manage photos. With that in mind, figure out what you want out of the program. Do you need the full functionality of CS6? If not then do you need what Elements has over Lightroom? Can you buy both?

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,847 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 07, 2012 01:04 |  #23

BigBadWolfie wrote in post #14543195 (external link)
Think of CS6 as two programs. One part is Camera Raw, the program you use to process your photos. The other part is the part that most people associate photoshop with (removing stuff, sliming down bodies etc.). What it lacks is an easy way to organize/manage your photos.

Probably closer to 3 programs since Bridge is part of the package and is more than capable to organize/manage photos. Of course, you can also add the Photo Downloader (accessed thru Bridge or you can make a shortcut) which has several handy options.

Do you need the full functionality of CS6? If not then do you need what Elements has over Lightroom? Can you buy both?

Most people don't "need" full Photoshop and probably use very little of the program. Of course, then there is the major price difference in CS6 and Elements unless you qualify for academic pricing. I would guess with the limited info provided that DPP and Elements will be all the OP needs.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 07, 2012 01:05 |  #24

Proper understanding of light and exposure...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

PhotoGuy2012
THREAD ­ STARTER
82 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 07, 2012 11:48 |  #25

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14543363 (external link)
Proper understanding of light and exposure...

Jay, I think i have a handle on both. Now I want to get a better understanding with PP.

PhotoGuy2012
THREAD ­ STARTER
82 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 07, 2012 11:54 |  #26

Tony, ncjohn, BigBadWolfie, D Thompson thank all of you for your info. I am getting Lr 4.1 but also want to be able to do other things that I know Lr want do. Here is a link to a blog i came across that has some of the things i want to be able to do. She has some before and after photos that are really nice. This lady does good work. So can I do what she has done with these photos with elements 10? What do you think she has done in PS to get the look of these photos?

http://ljhollowayphoto​graphy.com …r-las-vegas-photographer/ (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,847 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 07, 2012 12:43 |  #27

PhotoGuy2012 wrote in post #14545250 (external link)
I am getting Lr 4.1 but also want to be able to do other things that I know Lr want do. ............... So can I do what she has done with these photos with elements 10?

I've never use Elements so I can't say for sure, but from what I've read I would say yes. The new ACR in LR4 & CS6 is pretty powerful. I can do a lot of stuff in ACR now that used to take PS. Just looking at her stuff, I'd say most could probably be done in Elements (Curves and Hue/Sat adjustments with some masking). Use the 30 day demo and try Elements out to see if it will do the things you need. There is a major price difference unless you qualify for Academic discount.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 07, 2012 15:09 as a reply to  @ D Thompson's post |  #28

I don't know what additions they've made to Elements since version 7 but if they haven't included curves, check out that free curves add-on that VicE recommended; it integrates right into elements and seems pretty cool. And if they haven't added softproofing (a definite necessity in my opinion) check out Elements+ ; it's almost free. It also integrates into PSE and the softproof feature alone is worth the price.

sponsored links

2,823 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoshop
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.