Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 07 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 13:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Logo

jurimono
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 07, 2012 13:24 |  #1

Im a wedding photographer in South America, Paraguay. I just made my logo and Im wondering if its ok or if I should change something or if its a total no and I need to make a new one. Thanks for taking the time and comenting!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
fotojennik
213 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 07, 2012 13:34 |  #2

I'm not a graphic designer by any means, but here's what I notice right away:

-I don't care for the font used for your intials and the wod Photo
-The 'rg' look to be off-center inside the shape
-I don't dislike the font used for your name, but it certainly doesn't scream professionalism
-The square with rounded corners is pretty boring

Just my $0.02 take it for what it's worth :)

Good luck,
-Kevin

Pittsburgh Wedding Photographer (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear List

jurimono
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 07, 2012 14:10 |  #3

Thanks Kevin, it really helps, I have been trying to find something right and its so hard!

markweaver
458 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 07, 2012 14:57 as a reply to  @ jurimono's post |  #4

The rectangle shape and color is nice, but the font is anemic. It does not pop. I would find a heavier/beefier font that stands out from the burgundy shape. Pair that with the same beefy font for your name in black. Also the "rg" would look better if you evened up the space around it in the rectangle.

Here is an example of what I mean.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark
XTi | 5D MkII | Zeiss 21/2.8 Distagon | Zeiss Jena 35/2.8 Flektogon | 24-105 L | 70-200L f4 | 10-22 f3.5-5.6 | 50 f1.4 | Samyang 14mm | 24mm f/2.8 | Sigma 15mm Fishy
www.flickr.com/photos/​marksweaver/ (external link)

jurimono
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 07, 2012 15:25 |  #5

Thank you very much Mark, and thanks for taking the time and making a example of what you mean, means a lot to me. This helps a lot!

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 07, 2012 15:28 |  #6

There's a disconnect between you company name and what you do. I assume you trade under the name RG. I would think it sounds better to trade as RG Studios or RG Photography and not just "Photo" (This might be a language thing, and maybe in SA you guys just say "Photo")

I would say rather trade as Roperta Gerbrand Studio's, its more personal, its easier to remember and probally easier to get the domain name than the generic sounding RG.

You could then use the RG as your logo to the left, your name in a bold clean font like humanist or swiss 721 (in the burgundy colour) , and below that Photographer in the grey.

I really like the colours you've choosen and would stick with it....

mrgooch
Goldmember
3,097 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 07, 2012 15:29 |  #7

I think a logo might not be needed only your name.

markweaver
458 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 07, 2012 15:36 as a reply to  @ mrgooch's post |  #8

If she goes with just the name, then the typography will be critical. If it is just sans serif type with no mark (i.e. logo) then it will not be memorable. The rectangle with the rg is not particularly memorable, but it is better than just type. Maybe playing the the "RG" and making an insignia out of the letters.

And jurimono, sorry about misspelling your name. I am still healing from corrective eye surgery and seeing a computer screen is still a challenge.

Mark
XTi | 5D MkII | Zeiss 21/2.8 Distagon | Zeiss Jena 35/2.8 Flektogon | 24-105 L | 70-200L f4 | 10-22 f3.5-5.6 | 50 f1.4 | Samyang 14mm | 24mm f/2.8 | Sigma 15mm Fishy

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 07, 2012 15:54 |  #9

Hope you heal soon Mark, hope it wasn't your shooting eye....

You build brand awareness by the consistent application of your logo in all advertising mediums ie stationery, web, vehicle and office signage etc, the choice of font group or style while important is also secondary.

markweaver
458 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 07, 2012 15:59 |  #10

FerozeK wrote in post #14546381 (external link)
Hope you heal soon Mark, hope it wasn't your shooting eye....

You build brand awareness by the consistent application of your logo in all advertising mediums ie stationery, web, vehicle and office signage etc, the choice of font group or style while important is also secondary.

Exactly right. Although a memorable logo is a nice plus.

Mark

auroraskye
Goldmember
2,445 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 07, 2012 17:00 |  #11

Hire a professional logo designer! Or even find one willing to do a trade for professional photos or something. I'm a creative person, I'm good in photoshop, I enjoy design.. but I could NOT come up with a smooth, professional logo to save my life. So I found someone who could and I was glad I did. It took a lot of collaboration but we worked it out. To me this isn't horrible but it looks amatuerish, you know? It also says nothing about your style or brand. It's very plain. Trust me, it's worth it to work with a pro. :)

I am super cool n' stuff.
http://www.brandithomp​sonphotography.com (external link)
Like Me On Facebook (external link)

jurimono
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 07, 2012 20:51 as a reply to  @ auroraskye's post |  #12

Thanks everybody, I would really like to hire a professional to help me with my logo, Im living in a very small town and there is nobody like that down here, but Im going to Winnipeg Canada in a few weeks and maybe I can find someone over there to help me.
It helps me a lot what you guys have told me.
Hope you get better real soon Mark and thanks again, I knew better what you meant with the one you posted and there is no problem if you wrote my name wrong.
Thank you everybody!

sponsored links

1,479 views & 0 likes for this thread
Logo
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.