Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Jun 2012 (Friday) 00:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I scratched my lens!!!

Simplistic
Goldmember
1,443 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 08, 2012 00:46 |  #1

My 10-22mm was bumped by someone and it dropped about 4 inches to the sidewalk from my bag I set it on and it's got 2 small scratches on the outer plastic of the lens... It's no longer the nice smooth plastic but rough and scratched.

I feel like I marred a baby's face. I am so damn careful with my gear and I take pride in having mint lenses and components, and now my best lens has a frickin' scratch on it.

Is there any coating I can put on it or can I somehow fix it to look like new?

It was otherwise impeccable... :(

5D II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 85 f/1.8 | Canon 24-105 f/4 L
WARNING!: Before commenting that my color correction is horrible, please keep in mind that I am colorblind, and that hasn't stopped me from trying.

sponsored links
acuracing
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 08, 2012 00:51 |  #2

Chances are they won't show up in pictures. It may simply be more cosmetic damage than anything else. Another reason why I use a high quality UV filter and a hood for some added protection.

edit: Read it again and realized it wasn't the actual glass that was scratched. A body scratch here are there are signs of usage. I wouldn't lose sleep over it as long as the lens still works fine.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 08, 2012 00:53 |  #3

Lenses are tools. Who cares about a body scratch or two as long as the glass and the shots it produces are clean? A few dings shows you're using it, not just making googly eyes at it while it sits in a display case.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 08, 2012 00:55 |  #4

Some wear and tear on your gear will make you look more professional. Don't worry about it!

I have to go clean my 24-70... a horse was gnawing on it last Sunday. Slobbered all over the lens hood. (I almost never use a "protection" filter... they are sort of a false security, are just as likely to do damage as "protect" when broken, and risk messing a little or a lot with every image shot thru them).

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,494 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 08, 2012 01:01 |  #5

I'm with Alan. Although none of my gear's ever been an equine chew toy, I've got gouges out of the body on my 100-400; but that's just life. As long as the glass and the internal workings are in good order, I wouldn't spend any more angst on it :)

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

URLphotographer
143 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 08, 2012 01:03 as a reply to  @ amfoto1's post |  #6

Cameras are tools, not museum pieces. If you use them for what they were intended for, they'll get some scars. If you're trying to sell them later on, that's a different story. The first ding hurts the most.

Simplistic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,443 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 08, 2012 01:12 |  #7

Aw thanks, guys! I feel better about it now.

(as you can probably tell, I'm a total newb! :) )

5D II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 85 f/1.8 | Canon 24-105 f/4 L
WARNING!: Before commenting that my color correction is horrible, please keep in mind that I am colorblind, and that hasn't stopped me from trying.

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 08, 2012 01:18 |  #8

www.youtube.com/watch?​v=D4HbWhri7Tc#t=1m27s (external link)

5D3 and a few lens
es.

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 08, 2012 01:19 as a reply to  @ Simplistic's post |  #9

It's quite understandable to be upset..a little, especially if the lens cost you a lot of money(relative to your income, etc.). An $800 lens is a sizeable outlay for me, with my piddly income, but to many, it's chump-change. ;)

This reminds me of the guys who buy a nice car, and will park at the very back of a parking lot...sideways(taking up 2 spots), so nobody dings their doors. Eventually.. nicks, dings, marks happen.. and those guys park with the rest of us peasants. :lol::lol:

Kel
Gear

shinyknights
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 08, 2012 23:36 |  #10

sell it on craigslist and get it for as much as you can and buy a new!!!! solution solved, and u got a newer baby with no dust inside!

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 08, 2012 23:48 as a reply to  @ shinyknights's post |  #11

Don't worry about it, but if you want, check out some extremely fine sandpaper (like 2000 grit)...scratch some other piece of cheap plastic in your house and try it on that first...if it takes care of that, then do it on your lens.

However...as anal as I am about my gear...once it's scratched, it's scratched...it's no big deal, won't affect your photos and you may do more damage by trying to repair it than leaving it alone...so, shrug it off and remember to always, always ALWAYS zip up your bags.

I keep all my bags zipped up even at home in the drawers...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Nick5
Goldmember
3,112 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 09, 2012 08:39 |  #12

URLphotographer wrote in post #14548552 (external link)
Cameras are tools, not museum pieces. If you use them for what they were intended for, they'll get some scars. If you're trying to sell them later on, that's a different story. The first ding hurts the most.

Some lenses are worth more than museum pieces::D

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 09, 2012 14:32 |  #13

I feel a bit relieved when I scuff things. I baby my stuff as well. Once something is a bit less than perfect, I don't have to worry about it as much. Sure, it sucks, but you'll eventually get over it.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 09, 2012 21:30 as a reply to  @ klr.b's post |  #14

You should see the condition of my old 20D and my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8..

They look like a dog's dinner.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 09, 2012 21:43 |  #15

Let me introduce you to one of the most useful and innovative products ever invented.

http://www.amazon.com …Reinforced/dp/B​000ALG8LO/ (external link)

I have an enclosed trailer and my tag light got busted off beyond the point of repair with glue of any type. I'd already used gorilla glue but it only held for a little while. One of the screw mounts in fact was totally broken from the rest of the housing. I debated spending for a new light or plastic epoxy and then realized JB Weld would be perfect and is something every household should have on hand. Most people would have just thrown replaced it but the type of light is not available anywhere near me and ordering online would take over a week.

It took me two days to shape, sand and paint mainly due to the curing time needed. But in the end it's very similar to using/shaping bondo which is used in everything from smoothing all types of surfaces from plastics to auto-body to furniture repair. Many years ago i used to do refurbishing of very old and expensive European furniture for a French gallery and bondo was one of our dirty little trade secrets. If a similar product to JBW can be used to repair an $80k Armoire then you can definitely repair your lens with it.

If you never used bonod before get something cheap made of plastic like a tape dispenser then break it and attempt repair as practice. You will also want a medium grit paper, some fine paper and finally some the black super fine stuff used for wet sanding. Everything you need is available in any hardware or auto parts store or you can order online. The only problem you may have is matching the paint (modeling paint would be ideal) although you can just paint the whole front of the ring to match. Once painted the repair will look exactly like the rest of the plastic if sanded correctly.

sponsored links

5,397 views & 0 likes for this thread
I scratched my lens!!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.