Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 31 May 2012 (Thursday) 14:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for the best setup to shoot Football Games

mgnike1
414 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 07, 2012 21:59 |  #16

Yngblass...what you need is a 1D MarkIII...Excellent for sports photography....I'm selling mine...PM me if interested

sponsored links
yngblass
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 08, 2012 04:49 |  #17

camarillo wrote in post #14547803 (external link)
really?

you have an awesome camera; is it the BEST for fast action sports - well, perhaps not
will you capture great images yes. if you understand the game and can anticipate what is going on, you will do well

to say the AF is not good; just do a search within POTN for 5D Mark 2 and see some incredible moments

Do the PRO sports guys use the mark 2 - no they dont

OK, before all you guys tell me why your 7D is better; who cares, why shoot this guys camera down

He finally got a new camera and he is excited about sports photography;
isn't that what it is all about?

As for a lens, find a used 70-200 f2.8

keep on reading about shoot sports; there are a lot of great teachers willing to share their experience.

Thanks Man, Yea I'm not a Pro, not trying to be on any NFL Sidelines. Just wanna shoot some above average photos of my Kids athletic events.

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 08, 2012 06:37 |  #18

yngblass wrote in post #14548942 (external link)
Thanks Man, Yea I'm not a Pro, not trying to be on any NFL Sidelines. Just wanna shoot some above average photos of my Kids athletic events.

I'm sure your 5D will be awesome for portraits of your kids. Do you best with the sports shots, but realise that having an expensive camera/lens set up does not guarantee you 'above average' kids sports pics. It ain't that simple! Enjoy the challenge.

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

rweav72
137 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 08, 2012 07:03 |  #19

70-200L non IS while the rebates are still on. I've used one for the last couple years on a 7D doing primary high school sports and a little bit of college football, as well as soccer, volleyball, track and softball/baseball. Might also consider a 85 1.8 if you're doing indoor sports like basketball.

Ron Weaver
Canon 7D, 50D, 1D classic, Sigma 50 1.4, Canon 85 1.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8, 28-75 2.8, Canon 70-200L 2.8 non IS
Nissan 622, Vivitar 383, Yongnuo 560 (3)

yngblass
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 08, 2012 08:39 |  #20

rweav72 wrote in post #14549225 (external link)
70-200L non IS while the rebates are still on. I've used one for the last couple years on a 7D doing primary high school sports and a little bit of college football, as well as soccer, volleyball, track and softball/baseball. Might also consider a 85 1.8 if you're doing indoor sports like basketball.

Where can I find a 70-200 L at Good Price maybe with a Rebate!

Rocketdun
295 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 10, 2012 09:54 |  #21

The 5D Mark ii is not a prime camera for sport photography, the frame rate of the camera is the deal breaker at 3.9 frames per second. The lenses for this full frame camera of course are the "L" lenses vs the EF-S series.
A great starting place for lenses is the 70-200 mm 2.8 lens. Most any sports photographer will have one of these in his bag.
If you envision shooting sporting events that take place outside during low lighting, to capture the best images you will need to get the 300 2.8 or the 400 2.8 lenses to get the closer shots that show the player of play vs the guy in row three tossing his drink as he celebrates a home run, touch down or score.
If you intend to shoot sports on a regular basis you might want to consider the 7D not only for the higher frame rate, (8 fps) the caveat here is the higher speed CF cards will improve your read and write times
If the 7D is not your cup of tea find a Canon 1D Mark 2n. This camera was the next version or versions of the Canon 1D series of camera and the 2n improvements were meant to correct some of the problems with auto focus that took place in some of the 1D series of cameras
Here is a hint, the 5D Mark ii shoots at 3.8 fps, the 1D Mark 2n 8.5 fps, the 7D shoots at 8 fps, but the pixel count is 18.
A great place to take a look and shop for used lenses, and also a great place to off the 5 D Mark ii in the event you decide to opt for a more sports orientated camera and lenses is KEH, @ www.keh.com (external link)

A great photo only starts with the shutter release,
1DS Mark ii,7D , 40D, 24 mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 50 mm 1.4, 28-138, 18-200, 70-200 2.8, 100-400 4.5-5.6 , 580 EXII,
My stuff: http://deseventphotos.​zenfolio.com (external link)

Sports_Dude
Goldmember
1,111 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 10, 2012 10:14 |  #22

Assuming the games are in the day time with decent sun, what about a 100-400mm? If games are at night, stay away from this lens.

Sports_Dude
7D Gripped | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II | 580EXII

Rocketdun
295 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 10, 2012 11:15 |  #23

+1 to Sports Dude, the 100-400 is a great day light sports lens, not so great when the sunsets of under the lights

A great photo only starts with the shutter release,
1DS Mark ii,7D , 40D, 24 mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 50 mm 1.4, 28-138, 18-200, 70-200 2.8, 100-400 4.5-5.6 , 580 EXII,
My stuff: http://deseventphotos.​zenfolio.com (external link)

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 10, 2012 19:10 |  #24

camarillo wrote in post #14547803 (external link)
really?

you have an awesome camera; is it the BEST for fast action sports - well, perhaps not
will you capture great images yes. if you understand the game and can anticipate what is going on, you will do well

to say the AF is not good; just do a search within POTN for 5D Mark 2 and see some incredible moments

Do the PRO sports guys use the mark 2 - no they dont

OK, before all you guys tell me why your 7D is better; who cares, why shoot this guys camera down

He finally got a new camera and he is excited about sports photography;
isn't that what it is all about?

As for a lens, find a used 70-200 f2.8

keep on reading about shoot sports; there are a lot of great teachers willing to share their experience.

Not bashing his camera, it's a good camera, no doubt about that. But so are medium format cameras. There are strengths and weaknesses with different types of cameras.

With that said, sure he can get some good shots with the 5dm2, but if he wants to have his focus follow a football player running full speed coming at you, I would have doubts that the mk2 would be able to hold up.

Too many people buy gear and expect it to produce good images and give up shortly after because they just don't know.

Best advise I can give is to learn your camera (strengths and weaknesses) go out and shoot and post pictures here for critique.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

Sam6644
691 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 11, 2012 08:30 |  #25

Not to burst anybody's bubble, but I know plenty of pros at major metro newspapers, the AP and Getty Images who shoot with 5D Mark 2s. You can shoot sports with it if you want. Sports photography is about a whole lot more than burst rates.

my site (very outdated at this point) (external link)
Follow on Facebook for more regular updates (external link)
and and twitter (external link)
and instagram, too. (external link)
my blog (external link)

johnb007
352 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 15, 2012 20:11 |  #26

While not football in the American sense...I shot this in the typical night game lighting. Taken with a 70-200 2.8L lens witch is the key. The camera body was a T3i. The cropped sensor was a little advantage maybe but the 5d ii will be just fine. I shot this of a friend's daughter and I think it served it's purpose ok.

I got about 7 or 8 nice keepers until she got pulled 15 minutes into the first half. She scored 3 goals and the rout was on. They won 5-1. Not bad for a freshmen on varsity....but I digress.

Oh, I did buy a 5Diii : )

IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-VaIHgHqiWK0/T9vZkPqocVI/AAAAAAAACdk/Hf5iLbHCWAA/s800/untitled-6931.jpg

-John
Canon 5DIII I 70-200 2.8L I 24-70 2.8L I 100 2.8L macro
500px (external link)

madjack
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Gallery: 201 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 15, 2012 21:22 as a reply to  @ johnb007's post |  #27

Don't trip on the AF.. I bought a 5D2 a few months back, and one of the first replies I got instead of congratulations was along the lines of "what about the crappy AF".

So I started to do a little searching, and all I could find was posts on the 5D2's bad AF. After filling my head up with posts on how bad the AF was on my camera, I didn't even bother trying to track anything with it. As a matter of fact I started a thread on how Canon should have put a better AF system in the camera instead of video and got beat up pretty good from video lovers replies.

One day a couple months later, while down at the beach shooting anything in sight, I saw that a guy was flying a remote control airplane, so I decided to snap a few shots of it. I was using a 24-105 and I did not bother to have AIservo or multi-burst engaged. Just single-shot.

The RC plane was a good distance off, and is a lot smaller and moves quite a bit faster than a soccer/football player would IMO, so I wasn't expecting much.

When I got home, I was really surprised to find tack sharp shots of the plane.

Now, Im not saying that all the other AF sytems are not better than what is on the 5D2. What I am saying is that it is not totally useless junk. Im sure you will get a lot more keepers from those other systems, but Im a hobbyist just like you, and I think the AF on the 5D2 is more than adequate for guys like us.

Give it a try, use a tripod where you can, and see what you get. You may find it is all you need.

Good Luck

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,285 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 24, 2012 11:28 |  #28

Are we talking about shooting from the sidelines or trying to shoot from the stands...

My equipment when I am in the stands... Popcorn in one hand and a beer in the other hand. I don't shoot from the stands. I will only shoot sports from the sidelines...

If you have access to the sidelines:

Best setup: a pair of 1D (series) bodies with 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii and 400mm f/2.8L IS lenses...

Poorman's setup: a pair of 1.6x cameras (especially the 7D) with 70-200mm f/4L IS and 300mm f/4L IS lenses...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

8,981 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for the best setup to shoot Football Games
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.