Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 11:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D vs 1D Mark III

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 31, 2012 21:50 |  #31

if she doesn't need video, i'd go w/ the 1d iii. i have had 7d's briefly, and it just doesn't compare to the 1d iii when everything is said and done.

it has a nicer LCD and built in grid system in the view finder, but that stuff is just extra stuff that isn't a huge deal.

1d iii is the best value do it all camera out right now if buying used.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 31, 2012 22:35 |  #32

bigcountry wrote in post #14188835 (external link)
if she doesn't need video, i'd go w/ the 1d iii. i have had 7d's briefly, and it just doesn't compare to the 1d iii when everything is said and done.

it has a nicer LCD and built in grid system in the view finder, but that stuff is just extra stuff that isn't a huge deal.

1d iii is the best value do it all camera out right now if buying used.

But what about the built-in level the 7D has?? ;)

All kidding aside, I agree with bigcountry. I had a 7D, and went to the 1D3, and never looked back.

And it might sound funny, but people say that it's harder to crop a 1D3 file because it's only 10MP, but because of that fact it's making me learn to compose better so I DON'T have to crop... But that's just for me...

Gear List
My Flickr Page (external link)

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 31, 2012 23:02 |  #33

for what it's worth, i have made many a 20 x 30 prints w/ the 1d iii and they have come out very sharp.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 01, 2012 05:42 |  #34

elrey2375 wrote in post #14187484 (external link)
I think it's pretty well accepted that the Mark III focuses better in low light than the Mark IV.

JeffreyG wrote in post #14187592 (external link)
The 1D4 tracks action a little better.

But in very low light, the 1D3 will lock on in situations where the 1D4 is hunting.

So I guess on balance I think the 1D3 is better because it is more versatile. Both are good at tracking action, but the 1D3 is quite a bit better at achieving lock in the dimmest of situations.

Hasn't been my experience at all. Maybe I just got a perfect example of a 1D4... another photographer here purchased a refurb and had many issues on the otherhand (prob explains why it was returned!). Of the copies I've had... one 7D, two 1D3's and a 1D4 all did as well... or struggled the same under low light focusing... switch them to one shot and the 1D3 and 1D4 worked pretty well (can't remember the 7D result). Moot point anyway because I don't often shoot in those conditions.

I find the 1D4 tracks action much better in tricky lighting conditions (I do a lot of backlit stuff with subjects moving around) than the 1D3 and I get significantly more keepers with it. But that's my experience which sounds like it differs to yours. I'll be selling my 1D3's and grabbing a 1Dx to pair with the 4 so I have two bodies with the best focus ability for what I need.

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

yhssax2012
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 02, 2012 14:48 |  #35

Hey guys I'm the daughter you are speaking of. Im really thinking that I need to go seriously look at the 1D3 but I do have a couple of questions...

Which shoots better in low lighting situations?

Is the in camera crop a huge deal? If so should I be looking for a full frame?

Thanks for all the info

GadgetRick
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 02, 2012 19:32 |  #36

yhssax2012 wrote in post #14197622 (external link)
Hey guys I'm the daughter you are speaking of. Im really thinking that I need to go seriously look at the 1D3 but I do have a couple of questions...

Which shoots better in low lighting situations?

Is the in camera crop a huge deal? If so should I be looking for a full frame?

Thanks for all the info

7D is very good at higher ISOs but the 1D3 should be a bit better.

The 1D3 is not a full frame but it isn't a heavy crop either. Depending on what you're shooting, it should be fine.

Since you're starting (essentially) from scratch (from what I can tell), full frame or a crop body probably won't make much of a difference...until you buy more lenses.

Hot ­ Bob
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 08, 2012 12:02 as a reply to  @ post 14550540 |  #37

Interesting that this thread got dragged up today; I was going to start a 7D vs 1DIII thread. I shoot equine sports and I'm looking for a faster frame rate than my 50D gives me. I don't need a lot of the bells and whistles of the 7D so it really comes down to high ISO performance (1600 & 3200), accurate AF and having enough file size for prints up to 11x14 and occasionally 16x20. After reading through this thread it looks like the nod goes to the 1DIII. Sound about right?

Bob

Image of the Horse (external link)

Gear List

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 08, 2012 14:52 |  #38

I have handled both (went for 7D first, then 1DMkIII). Two areas make me not missing the 7D. First is the AF. When using single center point AF with AI Servo, 1DMkIII is just more reliable. Meaning, higher keeper rate.
Secondly, shooting between ISO100 and 1600, 1D Mkiii RAW is cleaner and can take more beating in post processing. I find often time i almost never have the need to run Noise Reduction against the 1D RAW, but my 7D raw often begs for NR.

Some other pluses, such as noticeable shorter blackout when shooting continuous frames while panning, have helped me nail some shots. And yes, the 10fps continuous mode is a great bonus itself.

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

sponsored links

6,908 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D vs 1D Mark III
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.