Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 08 Jun 2012 (Friday) 15:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone want to take this job?

lvph2
Goldmember
1,908 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 08, 2012 15:18 |  #1

http://okaloosa.craigs​list.org/crg/303286304​7.html (external link)

Wanted - Professional photographer for a beach wedding on Okaloosa Island on 30 June 2012. Want an experienced photographer with a web site to view their work. Please provide the following information: How many years of experience, kind of camera you will be using, do you edit the photos, do you shoot in raw format, can you provide a dvd with all images taken with full copyrights in the raw format only. NO JPEG images ONLY RAW images will be accepted on the DVD. Provide us with final price to mail out DVD to us within 1 week after the wedding. Do you have a back up camera that you will be bringing to the wedding and if so, what kind of camera will it be ? About how many weddings do you shoot in a years timeframe and is it your full time job. Only experienced photographers reply to this ad please. We are willing to pay the price depending on experience and viewing of your web site.
Thank you

- Nikon D3300
- Nikon 35mm F/1.8
- Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4 Cont.
- Tokina 100mm F/2.8 MACRO

sponsored links
Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jun 08, 2012 15:25 |  #2

Sounds like someone who knows what they want. What's the problem?

At least they're clarifying their desires up front. That's always a good thing.

lvph2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,908 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 08, 2012 15:27 |  #3

I don't think I've ever heard of an experienced pro ever give one RAW file, much less EVERY image shot in RAW format. Just seemed odd to me I guess.

- Nikon D3300
- Nikon 35mm F/1.8

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 08, 2012 15:31 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

May not be bad since they just want RAW files. So, you don't even need to post processing the shots. There is one problem. If in proofs they see what they like, there is no way they can duplicate the style themselves from the raw files.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jun 08, 2012 15:32 |  #5

speedy_2 wrote in post #14551700 (external link)
I don't think I've ever heard of an experienced pro ever give one RAW file, much less EVERY image shot in RAW format. Just seemed odd to me I guess.

Sure they do, they just charge for it. (and she indicates that they are willing to pay)

This person sounds like they've been around the block a few times and they are trying to avoid pitfalls (especially with Craigslist photographers)

Not sure about the copyright part... but again, she is probably trying to make sure that she "fully" owns the photos - not necessarily the copyright, but she's probably confused on that.

But as I said, she sounds like she knows what she wants and is willing to pay for it. I don't shoot weddings but I do love clients that have a strong will to get what they want. Those clients are generally much better than wishy-washy clients who then get balls at the end of the contract and try to screw you.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 08, 2012 15:33 |  #6

I'll take it. It'll cost them $35,000 but if that's fine with them then I have no issue taking it.

Gear List

rpaul
636 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 08, 2012 15:33 |  #7

Well, at least it doesn't end with "Our budget is $250-300."

Rob | rmpaul.com (external link)
Gear 'n Stuff (external link)
C&C always welcome

lvph2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,908 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 08, 2012 15:40 |  #8

Very true rpaul. I went ahead and sent them an email to feel them out. You guys might be right, someone who knows exactly what they want will be better than a "wishy-washy" shopper as Todd said.

- Nikon D3300
- Nikon 35mm F/1.8

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 08, 2012 15:48 |  #9

Its a good bride, she's getting any misunderstanding out of the way before you reply. I also think she or a family member has been burned before and they want to prevent that again.....let us know speedy....

lvph2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,908 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 08, 2012 15:54 |  #10

Yeah. We got burned by a FB one before I got my 5D. Just wanted some nice family shots done. What a nightmare that was.

- Nikon D3300
- Nikon 35mm F/1.8

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 08, 2012 17:37 |  #11

at least they are up front with the posting.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 08, 2012 17:38 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

Numenorean wrote in post #14551720 (external link)
I'll take it. It'll cost them $35,000 but if that's fine with them then I have no issue taking it.

Why $35,000? What is your regular rate?

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 08, 2012 17:45 |  #13

Hogloff wrote in post #14552228 (external link)
Why $35,000? What is your regular rate?

No wedding photog here, but I would say hourly rate, how many photos involved, extra charge for giving out the raw files, and even more charge for full copyright. Depending on how many hours, files etc, $35,000 may not be that much as we think.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 08, 2012 17:55 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Tony_Stark wrote in post #14552257 (external link)
No wedding photog here, but I would say hourly rate, how many photos involved, extra charge for giving out the raw files, and even more charge for full copyright. Depending on how many hours, files etc, $35,000 may not be that much as we think.

Yes, I understand about the raw files and copyright etc..., but let me ask you this, What would you do with those files anyway? Why not give a reasonable rate for the wedding, give them the raw files and copyright and bag yourself a job where you don't have to worry about post processing after shooting for a whole day.

Charging $35,000 will guarantee one thing, you don't get the job. Charging your normal rate plus whatever you usually make in prints seems like a very reasonable way to look at this. Does anyone really do anything with all those wedding images after they have completed the wedding? Do you really care about the raws or the copyright? Really?

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 08, 2012 17:57 |  #15

Hogloff wrote in post #14552297 (external link)
Yes, I understand about the raw files and copyright etc..., but let me ask you this, What would you do with those files anyway? Why not give a reasonable rate for the wedding, give them the raw files and copyright and bag yourself a job where you don't have to worry about post processing after shooting for a whole day.

Charging $35,000 will guarantee one thing, you don't get the job. Charging your normal rate plus whatever you usually make in prints seems like a very reasonable way to look at this. Does anyone really do anything with all those wedding images after they have completed the wedding? Do you really care about the raws or the copyright? Really?

You are right in this regard, personally I have no idea what weddings go for. I know that good wedding photog can charge up to $10,000 for the whole thing. While $35,000 is an absurdly huge number, it wouldn't say it is unrealistic, it all depends on the client and the photog him/herself.

I would also like to see what an accurate quote would range from for a situation like this.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,912 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone want to take this job?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.