Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Jun 2012 (Friday) 05:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Retirement .... What Will You Do ???

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 08, 2012 11:41 |  #16

I'm going to google 'what 80 year-old should do" then come back to this thread :-)

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

sponsored links
TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,183 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 08, 2012 11:41 |  #17

im gonna curl up and die.. that is it... no retirement here...

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 08, 2012 11:46 as a reply to  @ TeleFragger's post |  #18

WTF, the 1st page most about "Terrifying Footage of 80-Year-Old Woman's Harrowing Skydive" blar blar blar.

Time to stop google and make up my own!

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

hawaiikone
29 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 08, 2012 12:11 |  #19

Well, 40 years as an elevator repairman has left me with a reasonable pension, and some lucky investing helps too. Now, it's time to smell the roses before the nose quits working. So I'm taking pictures of roses...

5d2, 24 70, 200, sigma fisheye, 400, 2x

Tedder
372 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 08, 2012 12:22 |  #20

brokensocial wrote in post #14549437 (external link)
Move to a country with universal health care!

I never thought of North Korea as a retirement destination.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

harcosparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,415 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 08, 2012 12:59 |  #21

hawaiikone wrote in post #14550752 (external link)
Well, 40 years as an elevator repairman has left me with a reasonable pension, and some lucky investing helps too. Now, it's time to smell the roses before the nose quits working. So I'm taking pictures of roses...

Orchids, man, shoot orchids! :lol:

Part of my plan involves a nursery that specializes in breeding/raising orchids including some rare ones. I do all their photography in exchange for flowers and at times the use of their facility. Currently I shoot from them using MF film.

I cannot wait to get that MF digital body, but I have a lot of work to do before I start that endeavor.

One of the photo books I am working on involves flowers from them exclusively, it's been a collaboration between us and they are on my backside to get it done THIS YEAR !!! LOL

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 08, 2012 13:06 |  #22

when I retire, I plan to travel the world and die broke. Hopefully, I'll take some nice pics along the way. :D

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 08, 2012 13:29 |  #23

Tedder wrote in post #14550823 (external link)
I never thought of North Korea as a retirement destination.

Fortunately, Canada is much closer, although at our rate, Mexico will get it before we do too...

http://en.wikipedia.or​g …Universal_healt​h_care.svg (external link)

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

whuband
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 08, 2012 13:59 as a reply to  @ brokensocial's post |  #24

Photography can keep you pretty active in retirement. I shoot about 15 assignments a month for the newspaper, as well as my own personal work. I usually get to choose what I want, and it's usually interesting stuff. Tonight I'm shooting ZZ Top, which for me is really exciting since I've never seen them.
Aside from that I do a lot of fishing photography and spend a great deal of time on the water. I'm not married so my time is my own. I hope to keep this up until I wake up dead one day. Then my kids can pick thru the rubble.

1D4, 6D, 7D2, Sony a6000 with Sony16-70, Rokinon 12mmf2, Canon lenses: 17-40L, 17-55 f2.8, 10-22, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 300mm 2.8 IS, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bees.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,590 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 08, 2012 16:12 as a reply to  @ whuband's post |  #25

I'm already there. This is my new front yard:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i575.photobucke​t.com …ong%20Island/IM​G_0452.jpg (external link)

Was never a paid photographer. I was a machinist for 35 years, retired at age 60. Save early, live carefully, and anything is possible. It also helps that your wife has a pretty good job. ;)

I have my wife, I have reasonably good health, and plenty to do here just keeping things up from day to day. Tonight we go down to Max's Conch Bar for dinner, drinks, and Pokeno (major gambling at 50 cents a game :rolleyes: ). It's an open air bar, popular hangout for tourists, locals and ex-pats, and we're good friends with the owners.

My camera will be with me like it is almost 24-7. Sometimes it doesn't get used, but it's always available.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,634 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 08, 2012 17:53 |  #26

Changing one's attitude about photography, so as to reduce the pressure that you put on yourself, is certainly liberating. I am not so sure about going back to film, though...with Kodak eliminating production of so many valuable emulsions (you cannot get EPN any more, if you value accuracy of color rendition!), I fear for any continued value in my equipment after digital already had rendered it to have only 10% of the as-purchased price!

As for 'retirement' for the Gen X and Gen Y folks out there...don't worry about planning for retirement. At about 50 or so, just wait for your employer to lay you off, then try to find another job when no one wants to talk to you because of unstated age discrimination that is rampant. I know too many over-50 folks who never found themselves another permanent position, to think that this is an isolated event that does not often happen. Ben Bernanke, chair of the Fed, has already stated years ago words to the effect of "If you are over 50 and you lost your job during this recession, it may have been the last job you ever hold."

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

Jun 08, 2012 18:19 |  #27

Wilt wrote in post #14552287 (external link)
As for 'retirement' for the Gen X and Gen Y folks out there...don't worry about planning for retirement. At about 50 or so, just wait for your employer to lay you off, then try to find another job when no one wants to talk to you because of unstated age discrimination that is rampant. I know too many over-50 folks who never found themselves another permanent position, to think that this is an isolated event that does not often happen. Ben Bernanke, chair of the Fed, has already stated years ago words to the effect of "If you are over 50 and you lost your job during this recession, it may have been the last job you ever hold."

Ain't that the truth. Last June, at age 45, I was laid-off from my employer after being with them for nine years. Reason? My now-former employer was acquired by another company. In the past year, I've sent out numerous resumes resulting in only a handful of interviews, no job offers. Not only looking for jobs in telecom (most of my experience), I've looked for jobs where my skills are transferable. At times, I think HR looks at my resume and decides I'm, A)underqualified, B)overqualified, or C) [and the worst one] I'm too expensive.

It's beyond an employer's market out there and they can be highly picky and low-ball on pay. Or, not even hire. The new motto in Corporate America - do more with less.

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

harcosparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,415 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 08, 2012 18:58 |  #28

Karl C wrote in post #14552375 (external link)
Ain't that the truth. Last June, at age 45, I was laid-off from my employer after being with them for nine years. Reason? My now-former employer was acquired by another company. In the past year, I've sent out numerous resumes resulting in only a handful of interviews, no job offers. Not only looking for jobs in telecom (most of my experience), I've looked for jobs where my skills are transferable. At times, I think HR looks at my resume and decides I'm, A)underqualified, B)overqualified, or C) [and the worst one] I'm too expensive.

It's beyond an employer's market out there and they can be highly picky and low-ball on pay. Or, not even hire. The new motto in Corporate America - do more with less.

Get with a resume professional.

It sounds to me like you are putting too much information in your resume.

Give them just enough info to create an interest in you ... but not so much that they will be able to ascertain you true experience level and possibly age.

Not saying you should lie, but you do not have to tell them everything on a resume.

You may think you are making yourself look better when in reality you are making yourself look expensive.

They may feel that ....

1) you are too expensive for them

-OR-

2) they are afraid to hire you because you may not like the comp package and will leave them at first opportunity

It's tough out there .... it truly is.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 08, 2012 19:54 |  #29

I'll never be able to retire. Blown startup and economy took it all.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 08, 2012 19:59 |  #30

Remember the end of Thelma and Louise? ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links

3,737 views & 0 likes for this thread
Retirement .... What Will You Do ???
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.