Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 08 Jun 2012 (Friday) 02:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon announces T4i / 650D!

marsaz
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 08, 2012 02:09 |  #1

Canon announces EOS 650D / Rebel T4i 18MP touch-screen DSLR with Hybrid AF

http://www.dpreview.co​m …ounces-EOS-650D-Rebel-T4i (external link)

While I was still considering the 60D which obviously is a more serious body this looks interesting. I wish it had pentaprism viewfinder though.

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

sponsored links
dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 08, 2012 07:24 |  #2

I'm actually picking up a 60D as a go to lens for non sports and travel... the t4i looks amazing as well, but the build quality might be less par than that 60D....

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.com (external link)

@dtufino_photo (external link)
flickr (external link)

edmyloo
861 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 08, 2012 11:08 |  #3

Nicee! Hopefully the 70D matches the rumored specs and isn't priced too high. I'd like one of those!

Edmund Loo
flickr (external link)

Bilsen
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 08, 2012 11:48 |  #4

Are all cross type sensors that big a deal? Other than that, nothing I need over my T3i.

I shoot single focus points and usually at f4 or smaller.

BILSEN (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D/T3i; 70D & 1D Mk2
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50 mm 1.4; 18-55 IS;55-250 IS; 85mm f1.4 Sekonic L-358; 580EX & (2) 430EX
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio​.com (external link)

ken_vs_ryu
539 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 08, 2012 11:55 |  #5

so there's a new lens system for the hybrid af?

http://google-black.blogspot.com (external link)

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,907 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 08, 2012 16:00 |  #6

So it's finally happened. Touch screens have invaded the DSLR.

In this and cars, touchscreens stand to contribute nothing and ruin everything. I fear what lies ahead.

On the upside, I suppose there will be more goofy, hapless photographers wandering about with their cameras held out at arms length, elbows locked, with one hand poking ineffectually at the screen. Hey, this usually works better on my iPhone!

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

Austin.P
259 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 08, 2012 17:40 |  #7

Good god, no freaking need to have a touch screen, I saw to god if I see anyone who claims to be a pro shooting with this I'm blowing a gasket, that is retarded...bash me now, but seriously, a touch screen on a DSLR? That's stupid!

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 08, 2012 17:46 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Austin.P wrote in post #14552233 (external link)
Good god, no freaking need to have a touch screen, I saw to god if I see anyone who claims to be a pro shooting with this I'm blowing a gasket, that is retarded...bash me now, but seriously, a touch screen on a DSLR? That's stupid!

Its driven at consumer mania and "upgrade" freaks.
Touch screens have a poor quality record and typical 3 year life...
more reason to "upgrade" after its 3 years are up.

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 08, 2012 17:47 |  #9

I am honestly very impressed with Canon. I teach entry level photography at my city's adult school and I see how many older (and not so tech savvy) people struggle with current DSLRs.

1. Touchscreen: Ok, I know many of you don't like this nor want this feature on your DSLR, but I have to say I LOVE that it is on the T4i. I think it will make changing settings and the whole intimidation of a DSLR far less for less tech savvy individuals. Do I want this on the next 5D/7D/1D? No! But on the entry level cameras it is PERFECT.

2. All Cross Types: Wow Canon, bravo! I tend to have a lot of reservation recommending entry level cameras due to the general lack of cross types (not sure why, maybe my cameras have spoiled me). I love that Canon has taken the bold step of giving the T4i all cross types. Now the camera can af better in low light and track better with the outer points.

3. 5FPS: 5FPS is a huge difference from 3.7 IMO. I think this will help entry level shooters trying to capture action out a lot.

4. Other Thoughts: I am also glad they brought over the new metering and kept the swivel screen. Overall I am impressed at what Canon has released. I can pretty much say Canon has released a no compromise entry level camera which is really impressive. They have not lost sight of the market that actually buys entry level cameras. The only change I would make is actually reduce the resolution (because 18MP on an APS-C sensor is a lot of pixel density and many entry level shooters don't want to drop the money on quality glass to really take advantage of all those pixels).

5. What about the D3200?: What about it? Sure it has more resolution and will prolly have better dynamic range as well as ISO performance, but that isn't everything a camera is about! I actually HATE that the D3200 puts 24MP on an APS-C entry level camera. And Nikon continues to release entry level cameras with purposely withheld features like no built in af motor (for their older lenses), no DoF preview button, no flash control, 4FPS shooting (which is good, but not T4i good), no HSS, no AEB, 1 cross type and no swivel screen. Seriously Nikon? How do you design something AMAZING like the D800 and F-up the D3200 so badly?

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

mpix345
Goldmember
2,858 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 08, 2012 18:06 |  #10

Mike Deep wrote in post #14551825 (external link)
So it's finally happened. Touch screens have invaded the DSLR.

In this and cars, touchscreens stand to contribute nothing and ruin everything. I fear what lies ahead.

On the upside, I suppose there will be more goofy, hapless photographers wandering about with their cameras held out at arms length, elbows locked, with one hand poking ineffectually at the screen. Hey, this usually works better on my iPhone!

I think Canon saw that a swivel screen wasn't the death of photography so they have decided to up the ante with a touch screen.

Now we'll have more goofy, hapless posts whining about it. Thanks a bunch Canon.

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,907 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 08, 2012 18:21 |  #11

I'm not quite sure what your point is, other than to be argumentative.

Touch screens are miserable interfaces outside of a very few select devices, and even then they're more for aesthetics than anything else.

Swivel screens brought something to the party. Touch screens are bringing something too, but it's spiked and may leave you in a coma.

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

bongEstrella
602 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 08, 2012 18:22 |  #12

Personally I think touch screens on cameras like this is overrated (coming from an em-5 user that never uses the touch screen) but you can always turn if off, no harm done.

My Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 60d, 15-85
Feedback

Careyst
223 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 08, 2012 18:52 |  #13

Boy, I just purchased the T3i as my first DSLR last month. Is there any reason at all I should think about upgrading while my camera is flawlessly new?

flickr (external link) | FaceBook (external link)
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Gripped |EF 70-200mm f/4L USM |Rokinon 14mm f/2.8]|EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 08, 2012 18:57 |  #14

Careyst wrote in post #14552492 (external link)
Boy, I just purchased the T3i as my first DSLR last month. Is there any reason at all I should think about upgrading while my camera is flawlessly new?

How about 3.7 FPS vs 5FPS and 1 cross type vs 9 cross types?

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 08, 2012 19:10 |  #15

themadman wrote in post #14552514 (external link)
How about 3.7 FPS vs 5FPS and 1 cross type vs 9 cross types?

Yeah, I totally agree!

From the T1i to the T3i there was no reason to consider upgrading from one Rebel to the next except for "minor" upgrades here-n-there. With the T4i many things start to happen, the FPS and the 9 cross types are big improvements IMHO. Plus from what I understand video takes a new meaning with this new Rebel. Very nice upgrades to an entry level camera capable of doing very serious work.

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

8,270 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon announces T4i / 650D!
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.