Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Jun 2012 (Friday) 23:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you leave you L-Plate or Grip on your camera?

xeodragon
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 08, 2012 23:44 |  #1

Hi everyone!

I recently bought the RRS L-Plate for my Canon 60D to use with my Markins Hand Strap. I can't seem to decide whether or not to keep the Grip or L-Plate on to use with my hand strap. The L-plate combo is lighter than the grip, while the grip allows more comfortable portrait shooting at the expense of weight, but you have to take your hand out of the hand strap to shoot at that orientation.

What are your thoughts and what do you find the most useful/convenient/comf​ortable? I know it's based on personal preference but kinda just wanted to find out what works for other people and why :).

Thanks!
Xeo

sponsored links
hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 08, 2012 23:57 |  #2

I leave my RRS plate on all the time, along with the Markins hand strap. It protects the edges and bottom of the camera from getting scratched or damaged, it is ready to use with my tripod, monopod, and R-Strap, all of which have RRS clamps on them, and it allows the camera to sit better on a table when a large lens with hood is mounted.

I don't like grips ... so switching things around isn't a problem. I can raise my arm up to shoot portrait just like I did with my 35mm film cameras for years, they are bulky and limit my choices of thin camara bags, I always seem to be able to switch batteries if necessary, and they are heavy!

-howard

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 09, 2012 00:30 |  #3

Whole point of a QR plate is to make quick attachment/detachment of the camera and tripod possible. If you have to fasten the plate to the camera every time, it's not "quick" any more. I'm not a grip user, but if I were, I'd get the L plate to go with the grip (and maybe stiffen the camera-grip connection a bit while it's at it).

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

xeodragon
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 09, 2012 00:46 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #4

I agree hfgarris, I'm finding the weight of the grip somewhat substantial, but the portrait orientation is definitely more comfortable.

Jon, I was actually considering getting the L-plate designed for a Gripped 60D, but after using the grip alone, and the L-plate alone, I don't think my hand can manage the grip + L-plate together for long, even with a hand strap.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 09, 2012 00:51 |  #5

Well, you should really be supporting the camera from underneath, with your left hand, not relying on your right hand (even with a strap) to hold it up at the same time you're trying to smoothly press the shutter release.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

xeodragon
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 09, 2012 00:55 |  #6

Jon wrote in post #14553564 (external link)
Well, you should really be supporting the camera from underneath, with your left hand, not relying on your right hand (even with a strap) to hold it up at the same time you're trying to smoothly press the shutter release.

Definitely, it's just the weight combination of a grip + 60D is already fairly noticeable to me.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,356 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 09, 2012 00:58 |  #7

Yes to both.

xeodragon
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 09, 2012 01:15 |  #8

mike_d wrote in post #14553580 (external link)
Yes to both.

Do you prefer one on over the other mike?

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,356 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 09, 2012 01:19 |  #9

xeodragon wrote in post #14553610 (external link)
Do you prefer one on over the other mike?

I have an L-plate that fits my gripped camera. I really like how the camera fits my hand with the grip and it makes shooting portrait more comfortable. The L-plate makes putting the camera on a tripod quick and easy. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the grip. Luckily, I don't have to choose.

xeodragon
THREAD ­ STARTER
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 09, 2012 01:20 |  #10

mike_d wrote in post #14553623 (external link)
I have an L-plate that fits my gripped camera. I really like how the camera fits my hand with the grip and it makes shooting portrait more comfortable. The L-plate makes putting the camera on a tripod quick and easy. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the grip. Luckily, I don't have to choose.

I see!

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 09, 2012 07:36 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Jon wrote in post #14553522 (external link)
Whole point of a QR plate is to make quick attachment/detachment of the camera and tripod possible. If you have to fasten the plate to the camera every time, it's not "quick" any more. I'm not a grip user, but if I were, I'd get the L plate to go with the grip (and maybe stiffen the camera-grip connection a bit while it's at it).

But if you are going out shooting without a tripod, the plate or l- plate is just added bulk and weight. I always take it off when I know I won't need it and always leave it on when I know I'll be using a tripod. Why leave it on when you have no intention of using it. Do you leave a flash on your camera all the time?

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,836 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 09, 2012 08:14 |  #12

L plates go on our camera bodies and do not come off until we trade in the bodies. As for grips, neither of us like or use them. If we diid use grips, we would simply get RRS L plates for grips.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 09, 2012 09:45 |  #13

Hogloff wrote in post #14554170 (external link)
But if you are going out shooting without a tripod, the plate or l- plate is just added bulk and weight. I always take it off when I know I won't need it and always leave it on when I know I'll be using a tripod. Why leave it on when you have no intention of using it. Do you leave a flash on your camera all the time?

A flash is designed to be easy to remove. And I always have it in my bag. An L plate takes up more bag space off the camera than on, due to its shape, and isn't designed to be removed from the camera quickly and easily. The added weight is negligible, especially compared to the weight of a grip.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 09, 2012 09:55 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Jon wrote in post #14554494 (external link)
A flash is designed to be easy to remove. And I always have it in my bag. An L plate takes up more bag space off the camera than on, due to its shape, and isn't designed to be removed from the camera quickly and easily. The added weight is negligible, especially compared to the weight of a grip.

I know when leaving for a shoot if I will be needing the L-plate or not. Usually a good hint is if I am lugging my tripod or not. No tripod means no L-plate. Taking it on and off the camera is like 10 seconds...what is the hassle? Yes, it might not add too much weight, but why add any weight or bulk at all if you will not be using it.

If I am out shooting landscapes then L-plate for sure, if I am shooting events, my L-plate stays home.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 09, 2012 10:00 |  #15

If 6 oz. is going to break you, then you've got a bigger problem than the L plate. Maybe the actual installation is 10 sec. but there's also storing it where you'll be able to find it. Your gamble, but it's a bogus issue.

ETA: And the L plate's part of my flash bracket setup (external link).

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

sponsored links

5,359 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you leave you L-Plate or Grip on your camera?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.