Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Jun 2012 (Friday) 11:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help deciding if I should pick up a 50mm 1.8 or a flash as my next purchase

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 08, 2012 11:06 |  #1

Hope this is ok here, was not sure where to put it since I am asking about a flash or lens :confused:

Father’s day is just around the corner :) and I helped the kiddos get my sig other a Nook for mother’s day, so I am do for a decent gift ;)

As you can see from my gear list, I don’t have anything high end, but at this point it’s all working great. Just not sure if I should be picking up a Nifty-Fifty or should I go for a flash .... what would you do?

I shoot a little of everything right now, enjoy using natural light and my 5 in 1 (maybe that’s because I know NOTHING about flash right now). My daughter loves being in front of the camera so I for see a lot of portraits of her in the future.

That being said I know I should spring for the 50mm 1.4 but it’s not in the budget with a wedding in August so if a lens is the way to go it will be the 1.8, it’s in my budget and it will break the ice of primes for me.
guys

sponsored links
cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 08, 2012 11:29 |  #2

Then i'd suggest a 430EX Speedlite. IMHO, flash photography is worth growing into. And it's applicable in my areas too such a still object, wildlife, macro, etc. A good investment overall.

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 08, 2012 11:42 |  #3

cfcRebel wrote in post #14550524 (external link)
Then i'd suggest a 430EX Speedlite. IMHO, flash photography is worth growing into. And it's applicable in my areas too such a still object, wildlife, macro, etc. A good investment overall.

So your suggesting flash first. Just found out the other item i dont get for fathers day may come for my bday at the end of July. Thinking flash now then save for the 1.4 50mmon and not settle on the 1.8

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 08, 2012 11:48 |  #4

Unless you do landscapes I think your best investment is in a flash. Being able to have consistently controllable light makes a bigger difference than a lens. A bad lens can make good images in good light, a great lens still takes a crap photo in crap light. Get the flash and then learn how to use it.

Mr ­ B ­ Pix
492 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 08, 2012 11:58 |  #5

Get a flash...NOW. Give it time for you to get through the inital learning curve and it will change your photography. I am still learning and find myself using it more and more.

If you can swing it, get the bigger flash (580EXII). You'll end up trading up to it later.

My Gear

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Jun 08, 2012 12:20 |  #6

I agree with everyone here. If you do not have a flash get one. It will improve your photography more than anything else you might purchase at this time. I would also think about upgrading that cheap tripod.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 08, 2012 12:39 as a reply to  @ rklepper's post |  #7

Tripods been upgraded just need yo update sig still :)

ChaseMe
64 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 08, 2012 13:36 |  #8

Flash, 430EXII is prob the best thing I ever did for my photos.

Canon 60D | 40 | 70-200 |

BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 08, 2012 13:41 as a reply to  @ ChaseMe's post |  #9

From looking at your Tag line, looks like you have 2 lenses that cover the 50mm range pretty well, but don't have the 1.8 capability.

The 430 EXII costs more than the nifty fifty, and is a great flash to grow into as others have said. Therefore go with the flash, someone else is paying for it.

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM,Canon 50 1.4, 430 EXII,580 EXII

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 08, 2012 13:57 as a reply to  @ BufordFZ1's post |  #10

Lol yea I have the 50mm covered, just not sure about the IQ, and the 1.8 would be nice (I think). But the soon to be wifey said she thought a flash was a good idea so she was happy to hear thats what other people thought as well.

Dont have the coin to cough up for a canon flash :( so I am looking at the YN-468 II

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,410 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 08, 2012 14:32 |  #11

Flash

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 08, 2012 17:02 |  #12

A flash will impact your photos more than a 50mm will. FLASH.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 08, 2012 18:48 |  #13

another vote for the flash, it will improve every one of your current lenses.

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 09, 2012 00:54 |  #14

flash then just save up for the f/1.4

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 10, 2012 08:49 |  #15

I too say flash...

I actually started out using a XSi kit, with an 18-55mm. I ended up going with the nifty fifty first, and the flash shortly after. The flash can make much more impact to your pictures in they way that you are able to control the light on your subject vs. dealing with whatever ambient is available. That said, while I do like the 50 f/1.8, I have yet to say to myself, that I wish I would have gotten the f/1.4.... I just haven't had a need for the extra light, nor the lesser DOF... what I have said, was that I wish I would have gotten a 35mm instead, since on a crop body, the 50mm is a little too much for my indoor shots.

That said, start hanging out over here: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=35 :)

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

sponsored links

2,530 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help deciding if I should pick up a 50mm 1.8 or a flash as my next purchase
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.